Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
    She's underpaid, and they grin and keep doing it.
    A friend of mine almost always works overtime to complete her job duties. There is no one at the job site that does the same type of work to help share the load. Her boss is in California, where the company has its headquarters. He communicates with her via email. Overtime is not allowed or paid. Yet, if she does not stay 30 minutes to 3 hours over, and skips her lunch (and the boss knows that she must do this to get everything done,) the work is waiting for her the next day. She is reprimanded for holding things up.

Having worked with her, I know that she is both fast and competent. Something is wrong. What can she do?

Her training has been inadequate, not enough. Then she must ask for help with the new procedures by emailing California although someone could help in her own office. They will not!

She works in Washington state and has been told that that is simply how things are done in California.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:26 PM

Does she have an employment contract? Does she belong to a Union? Otherwise it's pretty much employment at will which means she can be let go at any time for any real or imagined employment problem. If she is REQUIRED to work extra hours without being paid she must contact Wage and Hour in her State and file a complaint.

Most likely the filing will lead to her termination.

With the economy what it is your friend is most definitely not the only one being "abused" in the name of employment.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:28 PM

Here is a site that may be helpful.
    Understanding Overtime

It may be best if she tries finding another job.
    It sounds like they have very unrealistic expectations and demands,

Unfortunately Judy is right once you make waves they put you on the list to want you out asap
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:55 PM

Thanks you guys. I've forwarded the link and told her what you had to say.
    SafeHeart Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:34 PM

Same thing happened to me once. I kept track of the overtime and after I quit, I contacted the U.S. Department of Labor. They told me that I had to give the company a chance to fix it before they filed a complaint.

When I contacted the company, I told them what the U.S. Department of Labor said. I got paid for my overtime -- without a fight. However, I do not know what to tell you about getting paid for the overtime while still working for the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not Sure If She's The One [ 3 Answers ]

Im 31 and she is 28. We've been together for almost 8 years now. Her younger sister is getting married soon after being with her guy for less than a year. Where does that leave us? Do I love her? If I did, would I not have asked her to marry me along time ago? I feel like Ive missed out on so...

Underpaid with an MBA in Accounting [ 3 Answers ]

I am very upset and angry. I graduated with an MBA in Accounting in 2003 and I landed at this company in March of 2006 and I have not been able to get away from here. I've sent out resumes went on interviews and here I still sit. What makes it worse it my "boss" is 4 years younger than me and...

She's Here [ 15 Answers ]

Just wanted to give everyone an update Hanna was born Monday at 5:57 and weighed 6 lbs 4 oz we're both doing great. Thanks to everyone who had helped answer ALL my silly questions.

How to pay underpaid FICA & Medicare [ 6 Answers ]

Due to a confusion of resident alien status, my company (on my request) did not pay FICA/medicare for the duration of F-1 OPT in 2007 (01/01/2007-09/30/2007), even though it appears that I should have paid it because I had been a f-1 for longer than 5 years and would be considered resident alien. I...

She's trying to take them [ 1 Answers ]

My ex is trying to take my sons out of state. Are there any North Carolina laws that can stop this from happening? I'm the non-custodial parent. I pay child-support and I play a major role in my sons lives.

View more questions Search