Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hectoroyos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Bathroom sink foul odor during hot weather Texas
    For the last 3 months we have noticed a foul odor that seems to be coming from underneath a bathroom sink. I took apart the "J" and since there was non smelling water and the odor seems to be coming from the pipe in the wall, going under the house. I rinsed it all with a baking soda diluted in a gallon of water. It did help, now the odor only re-appears, on a daily basis, in the hours of worse Texas heat. This bathroom (in our 31 year old home) is only used when we have guests.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jul 15, 2009, 03:35 PM

The pipe in the wall connects to the same sewer line as the toilet so there is frequently a foul odor in that pipe. The drain pipe from the sink should extend below the wall pipe & then curve back up to the wall pipe. This allows water to remain in the curve & block the odor from the sink. You mentioned the "J". If the sink drain simply comes down to the level of the wall pipe, the there is no way to block the drain line odor from the sink. If so, add the missing "P-Trap" which is the common name for the curved piping previously mentioned.
    Your description indicates the trap is installed which leaves 2 possible cures:
    1. Extend the trap lower to increase the amount of water left in the trap.
    2. When the odor is noticed, run water into the sink to refill the trap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrible odor in bathroom--worse with stormy weather--HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

I have had about ten plumbers here. No one can figure out what this is... We purchased the home two years ago--it has been ongoing since that time. House is fifty years old. Previous owners rehabbed the bathroom in 1998. We do not have the odor in the winter. Only in the spring and summer. It...

Odor under bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have an odor under the bathroom sink. The sink is right next to the stall shower. I poured bleach and let it sit - nothing gets rid of the smell. We have a different type of sewer system here - the tank is under the ground and it gets pumped out into sewer lines. We tried regrouting the...

Foul odor from 2nd floor masterbath sink [ 1 Answers ]

I live 2 story house with 3 full bathrooms. In our masterbath whenever we turn on any one of the two sinks, there is a foul odor emitting form the drain for the first 10 to 20sec while the water is running. This will happen every time we use the sinks. It only happen in the master bath. What is the...

Odor under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

We reside in Arizona and have lived in our house for 4 years and recently have developed an odor under the bathroom sink. We have taken everything out, cleaned it with bleach and lit candles, however, the odor remains. We do not have gas and I do not believe an animal died under the cement floor....

Removed unility sink. Now a foul odor coming from the cabinet below. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband removed the utility sink in our utility go give us more counter space. Now about a month later there is a very foul odor coming from the cabinet below where the sink used to be. Can you tell me how to get rid of the stink? It seems like it is coming from the wall. tlgoetz

View more questions Search