Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBbjCJt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
    When does Per Diem become taxable?
    When does Per Diem become taxable to a contractor? I have told it is after one year but I cannot find anywhere on the IRS web-site or in any publications.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
    The normal period after which per diem becomes taxable compensation IS one year.
    divya4753 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
    See Pub.463 at IRS.gov
    After one yr. you are considered at your normal place of work and not away from home.
    kcbeancounter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 02:27 PM
    From the IRS's "Taxable Fringe Benefits Guide"

Temporary vs. Indefinite Travel Assignments
    Reimbursements of travel expenses for "temporary" assignments away from the tax home are generally not taxable to the employee. If the assignment is "indefinite," the employee is considered to have moved his/her tax home to the new work location. Reimbursements of expenses for "indefinite" travel are taxable. The employer must determine whether an assignment is realistically expected to last less than one year when the assignment begins. . Rev. Rul. 93-86; Rev. Rul. 99-7
    An assignment is generally considered temporary if it is realistically expected to be, and does in fact last, one year or less.
    An assignment is generally considered indefinite if it is realistically expected to last, and does in fact last, for more than one year.The above are the general rules. All relevant facts must be considered to determine whether the travel assignment was intended to be temporary or indefinite. Rev. Rul. 93-86; Rev. Rul. 93-7

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

Is per diem taxable in any form? [ 2 Answers ]

Found on the web the meals are not and neither is the lodging. However we require a receipt for lodging to verify the cost was incurred. Our per diem is separate for lodging and meals. If the lodging receipt is for $60.00 and the lodging per diem is $80.00 do we tax the $20.00 extra paid to the...

Perdiem, travel and other expenses/taxable non taxable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here I will explain my situation and help me under stand about taxable non taxable items. 1. I am on H1B from a company based in Teaxas. But I do not live in Texas. My wife works in Michigan and I live in Michigan along with my wife. 2. My temporary company assignment is in Atlanta,...

Taxable or non-table per diem [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, now I'm a little confused. Here is my scenario. My brother is an oil field worker who is paid hourly. He works seven days on and seven days off. He is paid a flat rate of $75.00 per diem only on the days he works (and does not have to provide receipts). His pay stub lists the per diem...

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

View more questions Search