Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3rdwheelfriend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Best friend has new best friend
    Hi,
    This is my first time posting a question so I'm a little nervous:) My best friend of almost 8 years has become very close with another woman. We all teach at the same school and exercise together. For some reason, I do not trust this person... she is nice but seems to be overwhelming to me. For example, she talks quite a bit when we are all together. My best friend adores her... whenever this person walks into the room, my best friend just lights up. They laugh and talk in whispers and I feel so left out. My best friend and this woman like to go out and drink about every 6 weeks or so... I don't go with them because I hate how they act when they are drunk. My best friend is now telling this woman secrets that she use to only tell me... what should I do? I love my best friend very much and I want her to be happy. Do I just walk away and let her go? Are my feelings unreasonable? I want to do what is right but whenever I see them together it hurts so much. Is there something wrong with me? Thanks
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:40 AM

Your feelings aren't unreasonable and it is easy to see how their relationship would make you feel jealous.

I don't believe that you have to give up this friendship, but it will definitely change while this person is in the picture. While the new person has new stories and she is more attentive to this person right now, that may not always be the case. Things will slow down and this person may not even stay in the picture for the long haul.

For the time being your relationship with her needs to be adjusted to scheduling 'dates' with your friend that do not involve being the third wheel. Just tell your friend nicely how you feel and that you don't want to interfer but you don't feel that same connection with the newest member and would like for some time to get together alone.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Jul 15, 2009, 07:49 AM

From the post you wrote I don't see anything wrong with you there's a few scenarios that may play out.Since this other girl is "overwhelming" and "talks alot" she might be dominating your friends attention and its working for now but evintually your friend may get tired of her type and want to go back to what you two shared together.Since you hate the way she acts when she's drunk they may be more compatible and they're friendship might blossom,one thing you have to face is a lot of bonding takes place when your drinking with someone because you drop your guard and show more of your true colors and they might bond and you might have to find a new best friend,or and this very well can happen that something happens on one of they're party nights that breaks or slows down they're relationship.in the mean time you can just be yourself I don't think you can go into competition with this other girl trying to win your friend over it has to happen on its own good luck and I liked your first post well done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend Likes Guy. Guy hates friend! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, My best friend likes this guy right? All Well and Good? NO!! The Guy She Likes, thinks she's annoying and weird. The guy is like one of my closest friends, I could talk to him about it but my friend doesn't want me 2. She didn't want me to write this but I am because she needs advice! Any...

How should I tolerate my best friend with another girl who was also my best friend? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi to all here is my story I loved a guy... I proposed him he said you are very good friend really I can't loose u... our relation became very strong we two became my best friend rather he also considers me best friend... a girl who was my best friend always said you two are made for each other......

Slept with my neighbour/friend/ex's friend/he has a girlfriend [ 20 Answers ]

So I was drinking at my friends house when he showed up just in time to give me a ride home and we've lived across the road from each other for quite some time now and we were friends in grade 7 until now... we're both 19. I had a great night with him we were up until 6 and woke up at 9: 30 to do...

I fall in love with my best friend he still considers me just dear friend can I chang [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if I can change the way he loves me , knowing that he always loves to talk with me Can this change? Can we become good couple? Thanks all...

Found Out girl friends ex- boy friend came to see her [ 2 Answers ]

Found Out girl friend’s ex- boy friend came to see her, and she spent time with him, She tell’s Me she is still crazy about me, and likes me a lot, so I told her I will give her a few day’s To see what she wants. Well, we ended up spending that whole 5 day’s together. Then on that Friday she...

View more questions Search