Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 15, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Cross browser support, I think
    www.climate-controls.com a site that I am creating works in IE8 but when I view it in Firefox, Safari, Chrome... aaaarghhhh!

Can someone explain what is wrong, I'm not even sure I know what to type into a search engine to find out what, where or whatever.

Cheers

Colin
    megamanhood Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2009, 09:00 AM

I think the problem lies in the CSS file, which causes the compatibility issues. Source view for the html looks fine.

Maybe you would like to review the style sheet first.
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

Jul 15, 2009, 12:55 PM

When you design, check Firefox first, then if it looks good, you probably just need a couple of tweaks for IE. I agree, check CSS

Jul 15, 2009, 11:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

Aug 5, 2009, 07:03 AM

OK, thanks for all th einput. After much searching and testing. I find that when viewed in "other" browsers the call to include the CSS file is ignored. I have "cured" the problem by leaving the CSS as "in-line" code. Looks messy but works. Thanks all. Next step is to finish the site then figure why the CSS call is ignored.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 09:18 AM

Hi,
    Not sure if you know, or happened to think of it, but you can do both. You can put your external link in there and embed the style both. If you page does not find the externally linked stylesheet, it falls back to the embedded style.
    I would guess at an address or typographical problem for a "why" just cause it always has been for me in 12 years of writing CSS. You can always simply comment out the style on the page; and additionally comment out parts in either the embedded or external (different types of comment) to test parts of it.
    I did look at the page (did not try any links) in IE6, FF2, Op9 and NN7 and all rendered. The last two had some color definition problems with a couple of pictures.
    I gather you have plans for that gray chunk on the left.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE browser [ 9 Answers ]

Hi My browser closes when I try opening some sites?

Browser [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to disable your internet browser so it does not record the web sites you have visited?

Which is the best browser right now? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone I want to know which browser have the best speed, organize, popup protection, and everything you can think of. Thanks

AOL Browser [ 13 Answers ]

I click on the shortcut to launch the browser and it launches, but after it loads my home page, the browser closes . Any ideas? Thanks. I have some bookmarks that I would like to get and backup before I uninstall and re install

View more questions Search