Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 06:35 AM
    My son possible diabetes
    OK I know what your all going to say, bring him to a doctor. We are. That's a fact. I guess I am here because I am stressed out over it.

First my husband has been diabetic for over 30 years and on insulin from day one. As a kid it was a rough ride for him. He is fine now considering and has it under control with an insulin pump. We had decided against children because he was afraid he would pass it on to our child and didn't want to take that chance. I was OK with that choice. Well the irony to me is he had a terrible sugar low one night that almost took his life. I called 911, was to scared to check for a pulse since I am terrified of death and I had no idea if he was alive or not. In those few minutes my entire life with him flashed before me and my only regret was not having his child. We agreed and a few months later I am pregnant.

Now, here we are with the love of our lives a 5 year old boy. He has been super healthy this far. The last week he has been going to the bathroom nonstop. Several times an hour and drinking nonstop. I had noticed some mood swings with him but that's him. I noticed when he has a growth spurt he gets tired and cranky, then bang he grew a couple inches. We are bringing him to the doctor for sure for fear that he may have diabetes now. But, my question is (after all this babbling) could there be anything at all causing this other then our worse fear of diabetes. Nothing in his eating has changed. That's still the same. He isn't eating watery foods that would cause him to pee so much. What else could it be? He has no pain so its not a UTI. Which was suggested to me already. I am so worried for him!!
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:05 AM

Hon, first take a deep breath. You sound SO SO SO stressed to me!!

It might be diabetes. But it COULD be something else. 5 year olds have mood swings. I have never met a 5 year old who could not go from playing perfectly nice, to screaming 'STOP IT' at the top of their lungs for no reason.

As for the thirst and frequent bathroom trips, no pain doesn't mean an absence of a UTI. I get UTIs all the time and have NO way of knowing.

A UTI WILL Cause him to urinate more. Which means his body automatically will want to drink more to prevent dehydration.

I know its scary, and if he does have diabetes you will get him through it, especially with daddy there, who has been through it before. But try to stay calm. If not just for your OWN good, try to remember that he feeds off YOU. If you are anxious or afraid, HE will be anxious and afraid.

*hugs* good luck hon.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
    I know mood swings are normal for kids. But now that we are worried over it I see everything as a sign that I see in my husband. I was just hoping it could be symptoms of something else. We just started to notice it so it might be a fluke thing. My husband said he was always wanting sugar. Like before he was diagnosed he always at crackers with sugar poured on it. Weird but that's what he said he always wanted. So he is normal as far as wanting sugar. But doesn't mean he isn't diabetic either. I just picture them taking his blood like they will have to do and his face red from crying and looking at me and ugh... I sit and tear up over it. We are going to have him checked either way. But our worse fear and now we might be faced with it. I know he will be OK. There are worse things and I am pretty educated on it since my mom and dad have it and of course my husband. But he is still my baby. My little man and I want him perfect.

Just venting out of stress and fear. Thanks jennie.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:17 AM

You are a good mom, we will all be here to support you. I'll keep you son in my prayers. Let us know how it goes!
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:20 AM

I am hypoglycimic (or hyPER, not sure which sorry I get them confused) and I'm boarder line diabetes, my doc said that any thing can push me over the line, so I'm having to be careful about what I eat.

But I also learned very early in life that if I got dizzy, an upset stomach, or felt like I was going to pass out, if I ate something with pure sugar (not something sweet, not a fruit, or a fruit juice, but PURE SUGAR) I would feel better. Usually it was a jelly bean. Just that ONE jelly bean was enough to balance me and make me feel better :P

Good luck at the doctor hon, and DO let us know what's going on OK?

And don't be worried about the blood work. Ayla got it done last year and she was OK with it :) she thought it was cool. Its all about how YOU present it. If you tell him its going to be cool and it will only be a quick poke, he will be OK.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    you are a good mom, we will all be here to support you. I'll keep you son in my prayers. Let us know how it goes!
    Thank you. We haven't made the appointment yet. I guess I am stalling. I am sure he is more then likely fine. But my husband and I both have always worried this would happen so maybe we are just jumping to conclusions out of our own fears.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Thanks jennie.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:24 AM

Get an appointment soon, that way if you have to change his diet it is good to do it during the summer rather than during the school year
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    get an appointment soon, that way if you have to change his diet it is good to do it during the summer rather than during the school year
    This is true.

Hey jennie I am so not cool with the blood work. I am terrified of needles. When I have to do it sometimes I have to just walk out. My doctor has spent 5 years trying to get me to get it done. He will read that fear all over my face. There is no hiding it for me no matter how hard I try. But I will have to do it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 10:38 AM

Mmm. Maybe daddy should hold him for the blood work? Since hubby has diabetes I would assume he has no problem with needles? (or he lives a very terrified life!)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 10:59 AM

Hey sunny, remember this is not the end of the world,your son can live a healthy full life,go to school,prom,first car,girlfriend,marry and have thousands of beautiful babies!

The sooner you know the better,the fear of knowing is nearly worse,you imagine all sorts of nightmare situations.

With parents that love him.how can he go wrong.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    mmm. maybe daddy should hold him for the blood work? since hubby has diabetes i would assume he has no problem with needles? (or he lives a very terrified life!)
    Ya that's what we had to do for his shots as a baby. I can't handle it. His dad is good and strong with stuff like that. Sometimes I have to leave the room.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    hey sunny, remember this is not the end of the world,your son can live a healthy full life,go to school,prom,first car,girlfriend,marry and have thousands of beautiful babies!

the sooner you know the better,the fear of knowing is nearly worse,you imagine all sorts of nightmare situations.

with parents that love him.how can he go wrong.
    I know all this. But it's the fear of it being my son I guess. But this little girl in his class has had an insulin pump for some time, since I think she was 3 and she has it down now and the routine of it. She isn't declined sweets at party time or whatever she is just limited. I guess I needed to get it out. I know he will be OK either way.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

You have the ability to test him. Your husband is diabetic, so he has a blood glucose meter. Do a fasting fingerstick and a 2 hour after a meal fingerstick

The "best" finger pricking device in my opinion is the Accuchek Multi-clix. It's a 6 lancet drum and it has the fineest point I've ever seen. The needles stay captive and you can advance to the next one by turning the end of the Lancet device. Once the drum is removed from the pen, it cannot be put back.

The smaller diameter the lancet, the less it's going to hurt and this thing doesn't hurt.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
    I never thought of testing him! That's a genious idea. Although I may still bring him to the doctor, but that's pretty smart. How silly of me to never think of that. Seriously I am calling my husband right now to mention this to him. I can't believe that thought never crossed my mind. Thank you so much!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:00 PM

You're welcome!

I just have a magnificent grasp of the obvious. That's all.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:21 PM

Hahah I didn't think of that either!! Let us know how it comes out!
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:29 PM

Make sure you know what the pediatric numbers should be. I think they may be different?
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    hahah i didnt think of that either!!! let us know how it comes out!
    I will. With any luck we can get it done tonight.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:37 AM
    I made the call and he has his appointment today at 3:00.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He Has Diabetes. [ 1 Answers ]

I've known very few people with diabetes so I did not know much about it. My boyfriend has diabetes and I still have confusion on this disorder. I worry about him a lot since he does wrestling and he often has to cut weight. He tries not to eat so much because of it which I understand can be...

Pre diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out that I have pre diabetes what can I do to prevent the real diabetes? What can and cannot eat? Or any other tips

Pre diabetes [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I have pre diabetes. What is this? And what I can I do for this? What foods can I or cannot eat?:confused:

Help With Diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

What would you recommend as a herbal help for controlling diabetes?

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

View more questions Search