Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:20 AM

So, I guess you didn't do a finger stick?

I still want you to check out the Multi-Clix Lancet device:

ACCU-CHEK Multiclix lancing device
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Well I mentioned it to him, my son, and he was not for it. I even offered him 20 bucks. LOL But that was it. I didn't want to push it and scare him. We just left it alone.

I made the appointment and hopefully its just something else. But we are both so worried. When that doctor walks in I will bust out in tears. I have to go alone because my husband is on his way for one of his own appointments over in Vermont.

I checked out the site. That's a much better option then what my husband is using. As far as I know anyway. I am going to see what he has and mention this. Thank you for that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
    I didn't realize they had test strips he could just pee on?? Are they accurate? Does anyone know?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 10:03 AM

No, the stirips used for diabetcs are used to test for Ketones in the urine. Ketones are a sign of Ketoacidosis which occurs when the blood sugar gets too high. It's life threatening.

Certan contrast dyes that are used for medical imaging purposes can cause Ketoacidosis when mixed with Metformin/Glucophage unless the med is stopped a few days from the imaging procedure.

More importantly. Medtronics (redirect) has a real-time glucose monitor which can be wirelessly interfaced with an insulin pump or a non-pump based readout. Once calibrated it works for 3-4 days, if I remember. A specially designed accu-check meter broadcasts the glucose calibraton reading to the pump/readout after a fingerstick.

The sensor is a small device wit a replcaeable needle hat's inserted shallowly into the belly area. It measures the glucose, not from blood, but from the fluid that surrounds the cells.

Drawback. I think the price for the sensors are about $70 for a few days.

The sensor is only for real-time monitoring will not control the insulin pump. There is a delay in the reading shown by the sensor and one shown by a fingerstick.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry I don't live closer to you sunny, I would go with you so you wouldn't have to worrie so much.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 07:50 AM
    We did it. This morning my little guy pee'd in the cup and we brought him for blood tests. He had no idea it was going to happen and I didn't know how to telll him. Bad parenting maybe, but I didn't want to get him nervous over it. I tried to stay in the room. But the minute I saw the needle I left in tears. Then when I heard him cry I was a sobbing mess. The doctor asked that they fax the results to him ASAP so I will know today. With any luck before noon.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:00 AM

Aww poor mommy. Lol. Little man will be OK.

I'm NOT critizising your parenting in ANYWAY hon, OK? You didn't do anything WRONG.

But I have noticed in my daughter, that if I tell her exactly what to expect, she is LESS upset about it. Like when we go to the doctor, I tell her 'yes, honey you will get a shot' and she doesn't get upset, she just says 'ok mommy, but shots hurt, I don't like them' but she gets them, usually without a fuss. Of course she crys after its done, but there is no wrestling you know?

Again I'm not saying you were wrong :P just trying to help.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
    I didn't want to tell him because the night before we wanted to pick his finger to test him like his dad does and he wanted nothing to do with it. He was not budging. I even offered him 20 bucks! Lol

But either way I got the results and he is fine. I was so happy I cried again. Diabetes isn't that terrible, but he is only 5. To him it might be. But he checked out perfect. The doctor said something about it being normal not to be concerned since it doesn't interrupt his sleep.

PHEW!!

Thank you for letting me vent. I was worried sick.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:18 AM

YAY!! (and if you don't think its presumptuous, PRAISE GOD! YAY!! )

That is so awesome. I'm so glad for you guys.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:28 AM

Great news!
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
    I know.
    Thank you so much for listening to my nervous venting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He Has Diabetes. [ 1 Answers ]

I've known very few people with diabetes so I did not know much about it. My boyfriend has diabetes and I still have confusion on this disorder. I worry about him a lot since he does wrestling and he often has to cut weight. He tries not to eat so much because of it which I understand can be...

Pre diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out that I have pre diabetes what can I do to prevent the real diabetes? What can and cannot eat? Or any other tips

Pre diabetes [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I have pre diabetes. What is this? And what I can I do for this? What foods can I or cannot eat?:confused:

Help With Diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

What would you recommend as a herbal help for controlling diabetes?

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

View more questions Search