Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markgeddis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not
    I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 15, 2009, 04:53 AM

When you say cooling fan I assume you mean the outdoorfan?
    Sounds to me like your capacitor could be bad, or compressor could be on thermal protection. Could you give us more information. Like sounds, times of day, is compressor trying to start?

Jul 15, 2009, 05:04 AM

The contactor pulls in and I have the correct voltages either side of the contactor. My multi meter does not allow me to test capacitors. The compressor does not even try to cut in only the cooling fan for the outdoor unit, it assummed because the fan was running it had not cut out on over heat or one of the pressure trips is this correct
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 15, 2009, 05:10 AM

Depends.. some compressors have a 90 minute thermal protection if it trips. And if it goes on locked motor amps it will trip thermal protection immediately and you will not notice it.
    Easiest thing to do is pull capacitor, but make sure to take picture and draw yourself a detailed wire diagram. Take it to grainger or somewhere to be tested. And if need be get new capacitor. Caps run from $20 to about $20. If that does not do the job than it is time to call a hvac tech out.

Jul 15, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Thanks for the information I shall pull the capacitor and have it tested. This was a great help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Also with power off check the power wiring where it goes into the compressor itself. Many times one of the 3 wires will corrode/burn off and the compressor will not run. You may have to depress or pop the clip that holds the cover on over the compressor wires.

Jul 16, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thank you very much this is exactly what the problem was, after being quoted $1000 for a new compressor I revisited the problem and after your input repaired it I am now back in the Florida air conditioning thanks to you

Jul 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Was it a wire burnt off or the compressor? If it was the wire there is a special kit available to fix it if it happens again. Let us know what it was.

Jul 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Thanks for the input, it looks more like the connection had corroded causing arking and eventually failure. New terminals have done the job, if I get another 8 years out of the unit I'm happy.

Jul 19, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Yep the connections can become corroded and cause problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioning compressor (outside unit) not coming on [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to see if I can fix my girlfriends AC unit (if it is an easy fix). The air comes on when you turn on the thermostat, air starts blowing, but it is not cool. Checked the outside unit (compressor) and it was NOT running. No fan, neither pipe was cold or hot, nothing from the outside...

Replace air conditioning compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The compressor has failed on my 1995 Dodge Dakota. I'd like to replace the compressor only, to save on costs. If I replace the compressor without replacing the condenser, will it last a couple of years or is it absolutely imperative that I replace the condenser as well? Thank you!

Air-Conditioner Compressor runs, No cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our Amana 8709088812 was working well. The cool air stopped but the compressor stayed on. We called a repair person and they replaced a fan. It worked for a short time and the same thing happened so they came back and replaced a second fan. They said there is a fan for intake and one for...

Air conditioning compressor [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO, Last night my air conditioning compressor stopped working. It will engage, it wants to work but the fan just will not go. It is Sunday 99 degrees and was wondering if there mioght be something I can do to fix this problem? Thank you so much!!

Central A/C outside runs but compressor kicks on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just cleaned the complete system, at furnace and outside. Had unit serviced (Sears Kenmore) for low freon, now when I turn on A/C the fan outside runs OK but the compressor kicks on then off after 10 seconds. This is the first time I ran the unit since it was serviced by a technician. Could this...

View more questions Search