Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanyushka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 04:22 AM
    Move out charges. What should I pay for?
    Hi,
    Could anybody give me a good advice?

We've rented our apartment for almost 3 years. Recently we moved out.

Today I receive a Statement of Move Out Charges Balance Owing.

The most interesting charges are:

1. Odor elimination at the following cost - $120 - Excessive odor in the apartment due to smoking, cooking, pets etc

We don't have any pets, no smoking, almost no cooking (mostly put something brought from the store to microwave and do NOT use smelling spice at all)...

2. Blinds cleaning - $60

They want mini-blinds were PROFESSIONALLY cleaned (says I should provide a receipt or pay for it).

3. Apartment cleaning - 5 hr x 20/hr

We cleaned our apartment very well.

But they could find something like "Lights in the kitchen - particles inside, needs cleaning:eek: ". I've never seen them inside so... or "Vent fan in the bathroom - dusty"...

So I'm not really sure is it reasonable price - $100 for this kind of "mess".

I forgot to mention something like carpet cleaning and replacement of drip pans (which is "clean but not new" :D ). OK - I suppose this is fine.

Are the 1st and 2nd "normal" charges I should pay for??? What do you think?

How much could be the 3rd ?

And what I suppose to do with this landlord ?

Thanks a lot!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 04:43 AM
    It all sounds excessive to me.

These are always tough calls. This is why renters should take pictures when they move in and when they move out. Even if you take him to small claims court, it will be
    1. His word against yours, and
    2. Up to the judge or magistrate to decide if the charges are excessive.

Sadly, many landlords do this to retain the Security Deposits knowing that renters will probably not take them to court with evidence.

The best you can do is take him to court with whatever evidence and testimony you have - and cross your fingers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abuse charges [ 5 Answers ]

I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy...

Juveniles charges with criminal damage in second degree [ 4 Answers ]

Two juveniles were charged with criminal damage in the second degree. They have already paid restitution for the damages they did and we have to go to court in couple of weeks. They have never been in trouble until this incident. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to them. I know the...

Think we are getting scammed with trumped up charges after moving out [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Virginia. We recently moved out of an apartment that we had been renting for one 1/2 years. The apartment complex is only two years old. Since we broke the lease to buy our house, we had to pay for all of August, though someone was scheduled to move in on August 20. We were to be...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

View more questions Search