Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Stray cat needs assistance.
    Hello, my aunty has many strays at her house and there is one that I have kind of claimed as my own, she is 4 years old. She lives only outside, and gets fed regularly, but she has worms. Today I got a call from my aunt saying my kitty has lost her eye!! Something clawed it out, it happened to this cats mom as well and it healed fine. But I'm really worried about infection because I don't want anything to happen to her. Niether of us have money to pay the vet bill. Any suggestions?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:10 PM

She needs vet care. You should surrender her to a rescue.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:14 PM

Problem is, she will attack anyone she doesn't know, also my aunty has tried and tried to call for someone to come get them. They keep saying there is nothing they can do about it. Last month one of them had kittnes, three out of four died, so she called a rescue to see if they would come and get the mom and the remaining kitten, and they said they couldn't do it (What a great rescue eh?)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:15 PM

Well. It sounds like you guys are going to have to sit down and discuss what needs to be done. She can't be left like that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:18 PM

Yes. By chance do you think if we took her to a vet and said she was a stray they would give us a disscount, and let us take her back?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:20 PM

It's possible, but I'm not sure. If you have a good repore with your veterinarian, they may swing something. You can call around to clinics - you can also try calling humane societies in the area, some will help owners pay for treatments.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Yes. By chance do you think if we took her to a vet and said she was a stray they would give us a discount, and let us take her back?
    Our animal shelter has connections with area vets for discount prices. Please call a vet to find out if he will give you a discount or even let you pay by bartering something, to mow the lawn or weed the landscaping or do some volunteer work.

Where do you live? (I rescue strays.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:00 PM

The thing is we want to keep her around, she is an excellent mouser, and the most well behaved cat ever, I know that she has been there for me when things got tough:P I can't really do anything for the vet (mowing and what not) because there a province over, I go there often, but not that often.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
    The thing is we want to keep her around, she is an excellent mouser, and the most well behaved cat ever, i know that she has been there for me when things got tough:P I can't really do anything for the vet (mowing and what not) because there a province over, i go there often, but not that often.
    How far away is the nearest vet?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 PM

The nearest vet from them is an hour. Which is five hours from me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:17 PM
    The nearest vet from them is an hour. Which is five hours from me.
    The nearest vet to you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:18 PM

3 blocks away...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
    3 blocks away...
    Can you get the cat to them and let them treat her for the eye and the worms and get her spayed?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:25 PM

That means I have to take her in a car... for four hours. She has never been in a house let alone a moving vehicle! How much do you think it would cost for the worming/and the eye ( I know I don't have enough for the spaying so I'll see if a local shelter will help with that)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:26 PM
    That means i have to take her in a car... for four hours. She has never been in a house let alone a moving vehicle! How much do you think it would cost for the worming/and the eye ( i know i dont have enough for the spaying so i'll see if a local shelter will help with that)
    You said 3 blocks away. Forget the money for a minute. Is the vet 3 blocks away?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:26 PM

Yes. From me, the cat is 4 hours away from me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Yes. From me, the cat is 4 hours away from me.
    Aha! Can your auntie take the cat to the vet somehow, to a vet near her?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:29 PM

The nearest vet to her is about an hour away, and I don't know how much it will cost or I'd send some money over, she has four kids and a dog, plus her own 2 house cats. She doesn't have money to pay for a stray. That's why I asked how much it was.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
    The nearest vet to her is about an hour away, and i dont know how much it will cost or i'd send some money over, she has four kids and a dog, plus her own 2 house cats. She doesnt have money to pay for a stray. Thats why i asked how much it was.
    Hmmm, no vet closer than an hour? She's in a mountainous area? Canada?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:32 PM

Haha she lives in Saskatchewan, the nearest vet for small animals is in regina, and she is an hour from that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stray cat [ 8 Answers ]

I live on a farm and for the past week we have had a stray cat hanging around. It got really cold last week (-30!) so the cat has been living in one of our steel buildings. I noticed it is VERY skinny - almost nothing left of it. So I started giving it dry and canned cat food as well as water. ...

Why do men stray? [ 16 Answers ]

Why do mwn tend to get bored after a period? What is it gentlemen? What can we do to keep u intrigued?

Stray cat [ 1 Answers ]

We have taken in a stray cat who had kittens 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately despite keeping her separate from our own cats our female cat has decided to take off and only comes back occasionally to eat. We think she has found a new home and are very upset but what can we do to help the situation. Our...

Stray cat(s) [ 9 Answers ]

Over a year ago we had this cat that showed up at our door and we name him Gizmo, because he looked like a cat/squirrel. He has always been very low-keyed and not caused any problems, other than laying on our cars and leaving hair, etc, nothing or major. Sometimes when we go out he gets close to...

Is this stray cat pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

A few days ago a stray cat started coming around. Today I noticed that she is either pregnant or has recently had kittens. Is there any way to tell which?

View more questions Search