Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aarop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Us green card for colombian spouse
    I am a us citizen living in Colombia with my Colombian wife. I work in the US for four months every year and we want to go there together for that time. I asked a lawyer if we needed to apply for a k3 visa to do that but he said that because she is Colombian, there is a green card process that we can go through without doing the k3 temporary visa process. He said that with this green card, she has to be in the US for at least 6 months out of the year for the first two years then one day a year every year after that. That process sounds perfect for us. But, I have been looking for more information about it on the internet and, I can't find it. The lawyer fees are huge. I would like to try to do as much on my own as I can (with just a consultation from a lawyer). If anyone knows about this green card process (or has other experiences with this type of situation) please let me know. Than You,
    Aaron
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 15, 2009, 08:46 AM

The K-3 is not a temporary visa process. It is the NIV for the spouse of a USC to enter the US to file for adjustment of status to permanent residence.

There is no special green card that has the terms as noted by this attorney. Permanent residence is dependent on permanently living in the US. This is shown by being in the US at least half the time (as the physical presence required for US citizenship). If your wife is a Pr and outside the US for 6 months, then the USCIS has the discretion to determine that she has abandoned her PR.

You need to determine what you want to file for and this depends on where you live. You say you live in Colombia and only visit the US 4 months per year. She needs a B-2 visitor visa, unless you plan on living in the US more than 4 months a year.

Respectfully, find a more experienced US immigration attorney. The information you state, unless there is a miscommunication between you and the attorney, is incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

US citizen marrying a colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step...

US Citizen getting married to Colombian [ 2 Answers ]

Helllllooooooooo Help... I am a born US citizen with now dual nationality in colombia. I want to marry my girlfriend that I have been with for 2 years. We are both 25 with no kids, never been married. What are the steps I should take. I have already visited the INS website. But I want step by...

American citizen marrying a Colombian [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know what are the requirements or paper work that will be needed for an american citizen who wants to marry a colombian, I have heard about being able to ask for her to be allowed to come to the United States so that colombian can have the chance to marry the american citizen, I...

View more questions Search