Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Non simple answers to simple Yes/no questions.
    Not knowing exactly where to put this, I'll try relationships: Alult male son and elderly mother.

I'll start by an example:

It's bedtime and, the kitchen light is currently on and her pills are usually on the kitchen table.

Son asks, "Mom, do you need to come back into the kitchen?"

Implicitly, I mean should I turn off the light in the kitchen or are you going to do it"?

I'm expecting a simple "Yes" or "No". This is much easier to differentiate from large distances.

I get back "I have to come back to get my pills"

not, "Yes, I have to come back to get my pills"

So, now I have to be attentive from a long distance and multiple halls etc, to try to understand the meaning of the sentence which I may not hear clearly.

I keeping asking why, I can't get a simple yes/no answer and never get an answer, nor a change.

Is his a male/female thing, a mental illness? It does strain the relationship because it happens all the time. There are similar related kind of incidents, but his is one.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:18 AM

I don't think it's a female/male thing, because my husband does that to me all the time. I know exactly what you mean. I find myself asking the same question too, almost every night.
    briancp34 Posts: 34, Reputation: 11

Jul 14, 2009, 10:05 AM

I would say there are 2 ways to interpret this.

1. This is usually a characteristic of a person that is not quite as organized in their way of thinking and just fails to take the last step of transition of thought to communication and decide on simple answer for the train of thought they just had.

2. She may just be probing for an offer to bring the pills to her.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:08 AM

From a man's point of view, knowing females and their lack of ability to communicate without insulting the male, what she meant in this instance was: "Bring me my pills after you turn the light off."
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:09 AM

Perhaps this is a female thing,I read post 3 times,and wondered if I also do the same thing,however what struck me was,if the son was in the kitchen and saw the pills on the table,would he not know she needed to go and get them?

If the question was 'would you like me to bring you your pills?' and the answer was 'ill get them' it is implied the answer is no,don't switch off the light.

Likewise when she said 'i have to get my pills' the answer was no. don't switch off the light.

Also,unless there is some disability that requires the son to switch on and off the light,and there is some distance from kitchen to mother,why not let her switch on and off the light..
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

Some would accuse politicians of not answering questions directly. Some people aren't as precise and direct. But it can be fustrating for others. It happens.

But when we're talking about something closer to home, I think it all comes down to patience though. If you must, then ask the question as second time to get the answer that you want. Not a big deal.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    Some would accuse politicians of not answering questions directly. Some people aren't as precise and direct. But it can be fustrating for others. It happens.

But when we're talking about something closer to home, I think it all comes down to patience though. If you must, then ask the question as second time to get the answer that you want. Not a big deal.
    Haha! Not a big deal. You should meet my husband. Here's an example.

Me: "Are you done in the kitchen?"
    Husband: "I dunno."
    Me: "Well do you need the light on?"
    Husband: "Well I was gonna shut it off"
    Me: "Can I shut it off?"
    Husband: "I'm coming back out there eventually"

At this point I just shut if off and be done with it. "Eventually" could be hours from now. I ask 3 simple yes/no answers get zero yes/no answers back. Very typical at our house.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    haha! not a big deal. you should meet my husband. Here's an example.

me: "Are you done in the kitchen?"
    husband: "I dunno."
    me: "Well do you need the light on?"
    husband: "Well I was gonna shut it off"
    me: "Can I shut it off?"
    husband: "I'm coming back out there eventually"

At this point I just shut if off and be done with it. "Eventually" could be hours from now. I ask 3 simple yes/no answers get zero yes/no answers back. Very typical at our house.
    LOL, if you're going to have to go through that entire conversation, then just shut it off and let him turn it back on when he gets to that room.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:34 AM

Yeah I know... that's what I do. It just cracks me up.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Maybe her answer was like the implied "I" in a sentence.

"Are you done in the kitchen?"
    "I have to get my pills."

I communicate like this, but I never thought that my communication was lacking... :(

In Zoey communication, is non "Yes/No" responses just lengthened what could be communicated in less time.

"Yes."
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Maybe her answer was like the implied "I" in a sentence.

"I have to get my pills."

I communicate like this, but I never thought that my communication was lacking... :(

In Zoey communication, is non "Yes/No" responses just lengthened what could be communicated in less time.

"Yes."
    Yep!
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    perhaps this is a female thing,i read post 3 times,and wondered if i also do the same thing,however what struck me was,if the son was in the kitchen and saw the pills on the table,would he not know she needed to go and get them?

if the question was 'would you like me to bring you your pills?' and the answer was 'ill get them' it is implied the answer is no,dont switch off the light.

likewise when she said 'i have to get my pills' the answer was no.,dont switch off the light.

also,unless there is some disability that requires the son to switch on and off the light,and there is some distance from kitchen to mother,why not let her switch on and off the light..
    This is what I was thinking too, it's simple deductive reasoning. Mom needs pills, you want to turn the light off, get pills, turn off light, drop off pills to mom.

My husband and I go round and round about this because ANY question I ask him gets returned with a question. My response for a while was, this isn't a philosophical debate, just yes/no me please. But then I realized he was trying to be considerate, it was his form of effective communication.

I finally started yelling from the other room, this is a yes/no question, followed by the question. That helped. But it's still laughable. People simply think in different ways, even if we reach the same conclusion. Tell her you want a yes/no, it will save you some frustration.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:05 AM

My question is this:

Why isn't the ORIGINAL question: "Mom, should I turn off the light in the kitchen?" rather than an open question about what may or may not still need to be done in the kitchen?

If what you MEANT was "Can I turn off the light?", then why didn't you ask what you MEANT, not what you SAID?

That's the silly part to begin with
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:17 AM

For one, it's not that particular question, but other's too.

For the purpose of this question:
    1. Pills are kept in a week's pill organizer on the kitchen table with compartments. She normally takes her pills in the kitchen.

2. There may be other reasons to come back in the kitchen.

3. "Should I tuen the light off" which I'll try next time will probably be met with the same long sentence.

4. There is a mobility disability involved. For example, her blood glucose meter is in the bedroom, but her meal insulin and needles (3/day) and needle heaven (the receptacle for used needles) is in the kitchen. The needles and pen serve as a reminder to take it. The meter in the BR reduces clutter. Sometimes I have to fetch the meter. Most of the time, I do not.
    Walking assitance is needed first thing in the morning from a 5-prong cane when in the house.

Minimally a cane or shopping cart is needed outside the home. Sometimes a walker and rarely a wheelchair.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:25 PM

I agree with Kc, my fiancé does the same stuff. I ask a yes or no question, I get the same old crap every time.

Not trying to hijack, but an example. Today I asked if she was going to eat anything for dinner when she got off work. I got back "I don't feel like cooking anything" now why couldn't she just say "no"
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:36 PM

My 85 yr.old mother ,before her dementia became so bad that communication took on a whole different level would expect me to know her needs.I was to anticipate them and if I did not she became upset.

Is this a possibility here?

She would rarely be direct and ask but would get upset if I did not somehow know.

Its almost like a passive aggressive manipulation.

Some of these behaviors could also be the beginning of age related dementia.Communication was the first personality change I saw in my Mom.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:46 PM

I think this is just something that is embedded into one's personality. They like things a certain way and not saying that it is wrong but it does not mean others see it the same way. But they can simply see that to get the pills she would need to go back to the kitchen so it would be a yes.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:53 PM

KeepItSimpleStupid agrees: Distinct possibility. About same age.
    I think part of the problem,at least from my situation with my Mom was that she did not want to be a burden,wanted her independence and yet honestly did need help.

It is a judgment call and I think in the future ,you just have to always assume she needs your help and just do it before it is even an issue.

It is not easy caring for an elderly parent and it is tough to be the caregiver and reverse the roles.I wish you the best.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Jul 14, 2009, 08:17 PM

My wife does this to real bad,and sometimes you just need a quick yes/no answer.
    I think some people are afraid to give the wrong answer so much that fear causes them to lock up on what would seem to be a real simple answer.
    Then the rest of the time I think she's just jacken with me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A few simple (I hope) Opera questions! [ 1 Answers ]

I am running Vista Home Basic x64 and currently have Firefox 3.01 installed. I am intrigued by Opera 9.5 though, and I even quickly threw it on to give it a test drive. First of all, and I know others will argue this, but I didn't think it was that much faster than Firefox, so I was a little...

Simple questions about payroll accounting [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on a question, and I just need to find out when you are given an advance on your pay are taxes deducted when you get the advance, and also is commison similar to piecework... oh and would it be sales that effects profit and loss statement, I'm pretty sure it is maybe someone could...

I have some simple questions please help? [ 5 Answers ]

Hope I get the ANswer with but more detals , not very much detail, but simple complete detail. Q1) How to set primary key in Access ? Q2) How can I set my query to see only " Female " group of records? Q3)How can I create a report using Access?

View more questions Search