Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Jul 14, 2009, 04:44 AM
    How true that WA has the highest rate of suicide in the US?
    My trainer mentioned this and I can't help to wonder if this is true? I got cousins in Seattle and I got bothered. For those who lived and lives in WA, do you think is this true and why?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:58 AM
    Not sure that's true:
    Depression and suicide rates state by state - USATODAY.com
    AFSP: Facts and Figures: State Statistics
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Does anyone know the reasons of why some states have much higher rates than other states? Is it the population difference? Unemployment? Type of emotional and economical pressures?
    Erika2325 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 04:39 PM

Washington State has a high suicide rate, because of its weather... no sunshine, rains all the time. I lived there for awhile, I missed the sunshine and although it did not depress me I wanted to move. Some people can handle their problems well but others can not, add the depressing weather and it throws them over the edge.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Thanks Erika, and I even once thought of moving up there for grad school. It reminds me of the rainy season in Ethiopia. Most of the year the weather is beautiful, but when the rainy season comes it's cold, wet, and rainy for about 4 months... and I was not happy when getting stuck out in the rain for so often. I would get the cold and flu a lot too. Then, when the sun came out I did notice my mood changed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika2325 View Post
    Some people can handle their problems well but others can not, add the depressing weather and it throws them over the edge.
    Hello superk:

I live in Seattle. It's the most beautiful city in the world. Of course, it's located in a rain forest, so it should be no surprise to anyone that it rains... But, I LOVE the rain. Some of my BEST of fondest memories of my childhood were outside in the rain...

Didja ever see Gene Kelly dancing and "Singing in the Rain"?? He's having a wonderful time splashing about. That could have been me. Rain isn't depressing It's invigorating.

But, that's just me... I do wonder, though, why people jump off our bridges, when it would be a whole lot less painful to move.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True Story - Murder/suicide - Luxtons' - Devon, UK [ 11 Answers ]

Can any one please tell me if they know the title of a short movie or TV film made about the Luxtons' There were 2 brothers and a sister who were farmers in Devon, UK. Robert Luxton killed his brother Alan and sister Frances then killed himself. There is a book about the murders called...

What [ 3 Answers ]

Just a weird question... What is the strongest monobenzone percentage available, and if applied, what would it do to the skin? What would be the effect of placing monobenzone powder on the skin without dilution?

How to get the highest number only as output in sql [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir , I would like to know how to get the highest number as display.Fpr example a set of ages are in the database.I need only the highest age as output

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search