Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwlaton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
    When can a child choose what parent to live with.

At what age can a child choice where and what parent they want to live with
    MomWontGiveUp Posts: 179, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwlaton View Post
    At what age can a child choice where and what parent they want to live with
    In Oregon, they don't necessarily allow the children to choose, but the court places a lot of weight on an older child's choice. Both my children chose to live with their dad; it's the home we shared together and near their school. I'm sure the court/judge took this into consideration.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2009, 04:42 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

A Child CANNOT choose. There are dozens of threads in this forum that deal with this question. A few minutes of browsing would have gotten you an answer.

Every US state requires that a judge make this decision based on the best interests of the child. Some statements do have guidelines as to how much weight to put on a child's preference, but the ultimate decision is the judges.

As MomWon'tGiveUp pointed out, allowing the kids to stay in a school and home they are familiar with during the breakup of a marriage is clearly within the best interests of the child.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 08:37 AM

Simple 18 (when they are no longer a child).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At what age can a child choose which parent they live with [ 4 Answers ]

At what age can a child who's parents have separated choose which parent they live with?

Legal age a child can choose which parent to live with [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I'm a father in Illinois in need of help . My son lives in Minnesota and will be 16 in June. Me and his mother divorced 8 years ago and since have both remarried. During his time in Minnesota he has been in some trouble but nothing involving the police. He has matured a great deal in the last...

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search