Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucky_girl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 10:04 PM
    English Essay
    Hi guys I need help in my work... I do not want to copy so do not close this topic. I want to write on:

Discuss the theme appearance vs reality in relation to both the great gatsby and hamlet.

I have some points which I wrote... if you have something in your mind share with me.

Thank you
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:21 PM

I would like it if you would share your points with us, first.

Also, I have a question (or a clarification, whichever you prefer):
    By "the great gatsby and hamlet" do you mean The Great Gatsby and Hamlet, or, do you mean, the great Gatsby and Hamlet, using the "great" as an adjective describing the books. I'm sure it's the former, but I have to ask, because Gadsby is a separate book some people mistake, and call Gatsby.

Jul 14, 2009, 07:11 AM

You it is The Great Gatsby and Hamlet... look I do not have points which related to this topic.. I just think.. can you give me some point or hint than I will join you to share my points tooo

Thank you
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 08:50 AM

Fine, we'll take turns.
    (after all, this is your project, and we are here to help you, not do the work)

The Great Gatsby:
    Gatsby surrrounds himself with friends (appearance), yet he is lonely (reality).

Jul 14, 2009, 09:07 AM

Hamlet
    As the play is told Hamlet finds out his father was murdered by the recently crowned king. The theme that remains constant throughout the play is appearance versus reality. Things within the play appear to be true and honest but in reality are infested with evil. Many of the characters within the play hide behind a mask of falseness. Four of the main characters that hid behind this mask are Polonius, Rosencrantz (Guildenstern), the king Cluadius. From behind this mask they give the impression of a person who is sincere and genuine, in reality they are plagued with lies and evil. There appearance will make it very difficult for Hamlet to uncover the truth, the characters hide behind.

CAN YOU HELP ME MORE WITH The Great Gatsby
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:26 AM

Good, we're making progress.
    What you said on Hamplet is well worded and works with your topic very well. Don't give up on yourself so easily.

I'll expand upon what I said earlier.
    The Great Gatsby
    Gatsby surrounds himself with friends throughout the entire story. He throws huge parties quite often, inviting everyone in town and making a name for himself. However, he isn't at the parties. He is there, surrounded by all of these people, drinking, laughing, having a great time. However, they are not his friends. He does not know them, and only has them physically there to hid his own emotional loneliness for another day longer. He does not enjoy these social events; he creates a fasade to show otherwise. He is surrounded by all of these people, entirely alone. He wears a smile while he feels eternal loneliness. Instead of being with friends, he is in reality only poisoning himself, and causing everything that could be positive around him to be filled with negative emotions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Good, we're making progress.
    What you said on Hamplet is well worded and works with your topic very well. Don't give up on yourself so easily.
    It's "well-worded" because it has been plagiarized from this site:

Hamlet - Appearance vs. Reality

Btw, "fasade" is spelled "facade."

Jul 14, 2009, 09:38 AM

Hey I am just asking can we describe hamlet friendship with horatio and Gatsby and nick frienship?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_girl View Post
    hey i am just asking can we describe hamlet friendship with horatio and Gatsby and nick frienship?
    Did you read the play and the book? What do YOU think?

Don't plagiarize off web sites.

Jul 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Wondergirl... thank you so much for this site but I am not going to write from there because my teacher does not want me to write from internet... I know what I am writing... I discussed with my teacher what I wrote.. if I want to write from site I won't come here for help

Jul 14, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Yes I read both book but I can not describe it so well tht's why I ask for help
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:44 AM
    wondergirl....thank you so much for this site but i am not going to write from there because my teacher does not want me to write from internet....i know what i am writing...i discussed with my teacher what i wrote..if i want to write from site i won't come here for help
    What you posted already was from that site:

"hamlet
    As the play is told Hamlet finds out his father was murdered by the recently crowned king. The theme that remains constant throughout the play is appearance versus reality. Things within the play appear to be true and honest but in reality are infested with evil. Many of the characters within the play hide behind a mask of falseness. Four of the main characters that hid behind this mask are Polonius, Rosencrantz (Guildenstern), the king Cluadius. From behind this mask they give the impression of a person who is sincere and genuine, in reality they are plagued with lies and evil. There appearance will make it very difficult for Hamlet to uncover the truth, the characters hide behind."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:47 AM
    yes i read both book but i can not describe it so well tht's why i ask for help
    You are not a native-English speaker? Which country are you in? Is this paper for an ESL class?

Jul 14, 2009, 09:50 AM

You for esl class... I am from afghanistan... can you help me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
    ya for esl class.....I am from afghanistan...can you help me?
    You want to write about this? "hamlet friendship with horatio and Gatsby and nick frienship"
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:59 AM

@Wondergirl: Good find, and thanks for the correction on "facade" (I also noticed I spelled Hamlet with a "p"! =P)

@lucky_girl:
    Well, I asked for your input on Hamlet, not something you got from another site. This is your project, and I am choosing to help you in my free time. The least you could do is provide a little effort on this. You said you have work done on it, the fact that you aren't willing to share tells me that you might not have done any work at all.

Until we figure out what is really going on here (a ploy at plagerism, perhaps?) I don't think I should give you any more work.
    People from all around plagarize, it isn't limited to America, and it doesn't exclude Afghanistan.

You came here for help. If you have any work, even if you don't think it is good, tell us, and we can help you make it better. However, you have to try to do some real work.

Jul 14, 2009, 10:01 AM

no... I want to write on appearance vs reality in relation of both The Great Gatsby and Hamlet... I read books but don't know so well how to write in proper way.

Thank you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 10:03 AM
    no...i want to write on appearance vs reality in relation of both The Great Gatsby and Hamlet...i read books but don't know so well how to write in proper way.

thank you
    What was fake (appearance) and what was real in Hamlet? And in Gatsby?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
    i read books but don't know so well how to write in proper way.

thank you
    That is fine. Tell us what you have, even if it isn't properly formatted, we can make it better.
    We are here to help you with your work, not to do it for you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 10:12 AM

Talk about Gatsby's parties to which he invited supposed friends, parties that he did not even attend (fake, appearance) and compare that with his real friendship with Nick, his next-door neighbor. Why were Gatsby and Nick friends?

parties = appearance
    Nick = real

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My english essay, how I could improve it? [ 1 Answers ]

... sorry posted in wrong forum, feel free to delete this admins.

Trying to do an essay [ 5 Answers ]

Compare two specific articles of the Magna Carta with articles or amendments found in the U.S. Constitution help me someone please.

Essay [ 1 Answers ]

I need to write an essay to John Hopkins University... any tips to help me out?? :confused: :p :( :o :eek:

View more questions Search