Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Craftsman LT1000 dies when engaging blades or releasing clutch
    Engine runs fine, starts right up, but when I put it in gear, as soon as I release the clutch/brake it kills the engine. It does the same thing if I try and engage the blades. Please don't tell me it's the transmission. Please.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 04:18 PM

Most likely one of the 3 safety switches, not a trans problem.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 04:48 PM

Hi,
    Seat switch or connections to it!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 15, 2009, 04:02 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I think you were right about it not being the carb, but I am going to clean it with seafoam anyway -probably never been done. I'll look into my harnesses more thoroughly tonight, and start jumping the other 2 switches. Also will be ohming out the harnesses. I saw in an earlier post a web site for wiring diagrams, but it was only for dealers. Do you fellas have any good sites for WDs. Fist, I'd like to have one just to have it, but also I'd like to find out if these switches are normally open or closed, and whether they provide ground or power.

Jul 15, 2009, 06:34 AM

Hi,
    Your machine is new enough to probably download the manual from:
    Home Improvement Projects, Product Manuals & Home Management Tools - Managemyhome.com
    And it will have the wiring diagram. The parts list will be available from Sears, but will only have a drawing of the harness.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 19, 2009, 06:19 AM
    I may have found the problem. Like I had written in another post, when I had checked the clutch safety switch There was a buildup of yard debris in the plug and switch which I cleared out. Also reseated the switches. Also looked the harness over. I'm thinking it was either the crap in the clutch switch and plug, or a switch was out of rig. Started right back up, and works beautifully now. Even if I didn't really find a concrete answer to the problem, I did learn one hellof a lot from the help I got on this site thanks guys.

Jul 19, 2009, 06:46 AM

Hi,
    It may be a surprise to you, but 15-20% of electrical problems tend to be connection problems where unplugging and replugging can disturb the corrosion and refurbish the connection. This is especially true if the switches reside beneath the battery behind the engine.
    Also, a phenomenon called galvanic corrosion can rear its ugly head. This is where two dissimilar metals meet and the eletrical properties of each and the current flow cause a form of corrosion that will break the circuit.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 22, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Yeah, same thing on jets. Corrosion seems to be a constant issue.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 08:42 AM

Corrosion of jets would be lessened if you could get gas with out alcohol. Galvanic corrosion happens under specific conditions. The electrolyte ability of gas is less than water and the alcohol can absorb water. You'd think their engineers would have a better grasp of this. Galvanic and Corrosion Compatibility Dissimilar Metal Corrosion - Engineers Edge

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grinding noise from Craftsman LT1000 when engaging blades [ 6 Answers ]

Craftsman LT1000 riding mower, model 917.272761 About 5 years old, nothing but oil changes done on it Started having issues when lawn got high while I was away. When I came back and tried to mow (even at highest setting), the blade would get bound up on the grass and kept stalling the mower. ...

Engaging the Attachment Clutch on my Craftsman Mower kills the engine! [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a brand new Craftsman lawn tractor, delivered this morning, already assembled even. I read the manual, more than once, filled the gas, checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, did everything I was directed to do. Started up fine and I let it warm up. But whenever I try to engage...

Blades Not Engaging- Craftsman DLT 3000 [ 1 Answers ]

My Craftsman DLT 3000 is running fine, but I am unable to get the blades to engage. When I raise the lever to get the blades to engage, it is stiff, and I get no movement from the blades. Looking at the little steel cable that the lever is connected to there's not great tension on the cable. When I...

Blades Not Engaging- Craftsman DLT 3000 [ 1 Answers ]

My Craftsman DLT 3000 is running fine, but I am unable to get the blades to engage. When I raise the lever to get the blades to engage, it is stiff, and I get no movement from the blades. Looking at the little steel cable that the lever is connected to there's not great tension on the cable. When I...

Craftsman 16 HP model # 192.273360 blades rotate before engaging [ 1 Answers ]

Recently replaced vented mandrel and new blades, everything is fine until yesterday, before putting the blades in engaged position the blades are already running, and the belt is making a noise. I checked the bolts on the mandrel to make sure they are tight and the belt is tight, what am I...

View more questions Search