Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamcossy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Translating my name from my tattoo
    Hi guys could you translate my name adam
    Into sanskirt, hindi script, and arabic please would like to see which one looks best.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 12:37 PM

No problem, adam:

Sanskirt: अद
    Hindi: एडम
    Arabic: آدم

I hope that is what you were looking for, and that I did not get anything incorrect.

Jul 13, 2009, 01:54 PM

Thank you very much do you think you could find the translation for my surname as well which is costello ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:02 PM

I have seen your other thread.
    The way I found these was by comparing dictionaries. For example: Sanskirt dictionary for "Adamant," "adamantu," etc. (or something like that) and finding what is common between each. (in this case, "अद" was the only connection between all words with "adam")
    However, I could not find your last name using this method in Sanskirt.

Here is what I found, first and sur, for:
    Hindi: एडम कॉस्टेलो
    Arabic: آدم كوستيلو
    (you'll notice your first name on the right in Arabic, because, as you may know, Arabic reads right to left.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:57 PM

After reading further into the basics behind Sanskrit and Hindi, I learned that what I had for you for Hindi is most likely correct for Sanskrit also.

Sanskrit and Hindi use the same "letters" for the most part in their writing, and the pronunciation is the same.
    Therefore, when translating words, it is different for the two languages. However, when translating something that is universal (such as names), most of the time, Sanskrit and Hindi are the same thing.

Occasionally, they will be different, and I am not claiming this to be 100% sure. However, it is most likely.

Jul 16, 2009, 04:21 AM

Could you translate strength and champion in all the above as well please thanks your really good
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Jul 16, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcossy View Post
    hi guys could you translate my name adam
    into sanskirt, hindi script, and arabic please would like to see which one looks best.
    In HIndi & Sanskrit,
    The name Adam is written similarly as एडम

Both Sanskrit & Hindi [in fact Marathi & Nepali, too] use the same Devanagari script [The Script of City of Gods]. It is a phonetic script i.e. the names are written as they are spoken. As the same script is used names are written mostly similarly. Only in a small percentage of names, they need to be written differently due to differences of the pronunciation of words in these two languages.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drkpp View Post
    In HIndi & Sanskrit,
    the name Adam is written similarly as एडम

Both Sanskrit & Hindi [in fact Marathi & Nepali, too] use the same Devanagari script [The Script of City of Gods]. It is a phonetic script i.e. the names are written as they are spoken. As the same script is used names are written mostly similarly. Only in a small percentage of names, they need to be written differently due to differences of the pronunciation of words in these two languages.
    Thanks for confirming my post, and using your smarter-with-this-stuff-than-me skills to further elaborate on my findings!

There are many different possibilities for strength.
    These are what I would believe to be the best for you.

पौरुष / वीर्य / ओजस्

The first means: Heroism, strength, power, manliness.
    The second means: Bravery, heroism, courage, stregnth.
    The third means: Bodily stregnth, energy, strength, power.

There are two words explicitely for Champion:

विजेता / विजेत्री

Jul 16, 2009, 02:35 PM

And could u give me pride and warrior sorry to be a pain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translating Name Into Sanskrit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, does anyone know how to write the name Dominic in Sanskrit? I've looked on many websites but can't seem to get the word. If anyone knows I would be very grateful if you could pass it on. Thanks x

Translating a buddhist quote for a tattoo/course [ 3 Answers ]

I just need a bit of help translating a Buddhist quote back to Sanskrit or another buddhist language. I'd appreciate any help! Here's the quote: Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth.

Translating a name into sanskrit [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to have my late best friend's name tattooed on me in sanskrit writing. Does anyone know how to translate Adam into Sanskrit? Thanks!!

Translating currency [ 1 Answers ]

How to translate Norwegian kroner to US currency?

Translating equations [ 1 Answers ]

How would I translate the following verbal expression into an equation and solve for x.. The result subtracting 2 from an integer is 8.

View more questions Search