Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monstar Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Date with an older woman
    Hi guys -

Quick back story, was out this past weekend and met a great girl. Got her phone number and everything, but the only issue is she's 30 and I'm 24.

I'm still going to call her up and ask her out, I like her a lot, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should know, I've never approached an older woman before, especially this much older.

I appreciate any and all help. Was just going to ask if she wanted to get something eat this weekend.
    paxe Posts: 793, Reputation: 158

Jul 13, 2009, 10:26 AM

If you like her there shouldn't be a problem. Be yourself she'll like you best like that. She may have some expectations to get the relationship faster than you, but then again I'm generalizing.

Jul 13, 2009, 10:28 AM

Yea that's what I mean, I'd like to know what the generalizations are in the 30ish dating scene.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 10:29 AM

The fact that you need to ask this question makes me wonder if you feel immature yourself.

You don't need to give special attention because of age. Treat her like you would any other person. Treat her with respect.

If you develop an interest in her, then treat her like you would any girl that you have feelings for.

I bet the last thing she wants is to be reminded of her age. Enjoy the time that you spend together.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 10:30 AM

Go into it with an open mind and heart. If you generalize or do anything else it will show and you will walk into the situation with a poor attitude or behavior. Just have fun and enjoy each other's company. No pressure!

Jul 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

Ok, that's what I was wondering about. It's not that I feel immature at all, I'm more or less interested in knowing if taking her to a bar or something isn't as good an idea as taking her to a restaurant.

I appreciate the help guys.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 10:43 AM

My general rule for first dates: make it something casual and informal. I think the first date should be extremely comfortable for both parties, as the main point is to talk to each other, BS and just enjoy one another (or not, in some cases). Nothing fancy and no pressure or nervousness.
    007bradz Posts: 22, Reputation: -2

Jul 13, 2009, 10:59 AM

There's 11 years between my mum & dad
    And they've been married for god knows how long
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Jul 13, 2009, 11:09 AM

Age is a state of mind. It's not like your going to marry her tomorrow. Maybe she has a younger sister.
    jmooney527 Posts: 200, Reputation: 83

Jul 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
    I agree with all posts before, just have an open mind about it. It is only an issue if you make it one. I'm not sure if a bar is a good place for a first date... a casual restaurant is always a nice choice. Just feel it out and see where she would rather go.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:36 AM

Oh to be a girl of 30 again,(im 37).

What does she expect? Hard to say,but I'm guessing she is having the same conversation with her friends,is he too young,what will he expect? What will I wear? Aaahhh.

Do you see,she may also have the same concerns as you?
    Take her somewhere where you can talk and get to know her.
    Relax and be yourself,have no expectations for the evening and see how you both get on.
    briancp34 Posts: 34, Reputation: 11

Jul 13, 2009, 01:50 PM

I have to agree with everyone here. Comfortable is best, and conversation and interaction is the way to go. You just met her. You're just getting to know her. It's just a date. There was someone else that said "You're not going to marry her tomorrow". Everyone anymore seems to want to jump strait to the relationship anymore. It's a date for crying out loud. The date is where you get the answers to the questions you have. Good luck. And have a good time.

Jul 13, 2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting anything more than a date, I was just wondering if there was anyone older than myself that could shed some wisdom.

I appreciate all the help though, this is good stuff here.

Jul 13, 2009, 02:13 PM

There are some ways that you can figure out if there might be a possability of some more mature expectations. What kind of job does she have? What kind of car does she drive? Have you seen her house/appt? How does she dress?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:43 PM

Take a deep breath and relax. My husband is 32 and I'm 24. It doesn't cause nearly as many problems as you would think.

Jul 13, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Don't let pere pressure plant you in bed with her on the first night. If she wants to, it's a different story. If you go through the evening and she brings up her ex boyfriend or ex husband and then later on she wants to go to bed, 1 You may be the rebound, or 2 She could be using you to get back at him. If she seems bitter toward him, she's probably using you, whether she knows it or not. If you get through the night and he never comes up, you're probably in the clear. But then if everything seems to be in the clear and she does want to take you to bed or you take her, that could mean automatic attachment. She might think that either you want to be with her, or she could end up thinking that you're taking advantage of her. Really there's a bunch of stuff to read into that. I would say probably at her age and at the mind set she should be in, a nice wet kiss good night and a follow up date would be a good sign of success. I would also bet 100 to 1 that she's looking forward to a nice relatively quiet dinner. I don't mean like "Olive Garden" all romantic. I mean like sort of a sports club with a quieter area. But you can ask her of coarse.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 03:02 PM

Brancp34, not ALL women who are open about their past relationships with a new boyfriend are using you as a rebound or revenge.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
    You're right Jenniepepsi. I'm sorry. I was sterio-typing. But you can't say it's not possible. I've just been hit by that on more then one occasion.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 03:14 PM

I personally never cared for dinner on a first date.I don't like to eat and then have drinks after.
    I think a nice quiet club with maybe a jazz or blues band ,some dancing and then after a quick bite somewhere.
    Ask her what appeals to her more.
    I see you are in the City so you have a great resource at your fingertips.
    As the other have said,age is only an issue if you make it one.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:38 PM

Artlady has some good suggestions. Jenniepepsi is right after all. Age is a matter if you make it one. What it really comes down to is personal maturity. Do you have any more suggestions. I think you may have some more valuable info for perhaps both monster and myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I date a woman 10 years older than me? [ 12 Answers ]

Well, long story short; I was at a bus stop one day and gave my jacket to this woman because it was cold. I gave her my number and said I'll pick it up some other day. She told me her age. 28 years old, and she has three kids in South America. She also had a wedding ring on, but said she's not...

The Older woman [ 10 Answers ]

I ended up with an older woman at a club last night. She looked OK for a 61 year-old. In fact, she wasn't too bad at all, and I found myself thinking that she probably had a hot daughter. We drank a bit, and had a bit of a snuggle, and then she asked if I'd ever had a Sportsman's Double. ...

Older Woman/Younger Man [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dating someone 19 years younger than I am. He is 20 and I am 38, with 2 kids. We came together a year ago when he was in need of a friend and I in need of companionship. I have known him for about 2 years and we were friendly. When we started hanging out/talking, he told me he...

Older woman, younger man [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is torned between me and his motherand he feels like he has got to choose, how can I deal with this type of situation

The older woman [ 3 Answers ]

I am 26 yrs. Old and I have been dating a woman 17 yrs my seņor. We have so much chemistry together and we love each other. The relationship started through work, but I don't work there anymore. My friend told me the more time I spend in this relationship the harder It will be for me to find...

View more questions Search