Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeter62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Auto Fill with Alpha Characters in Excel
    In Excel, how could I Auto Fill with alpha characters instead of numeric values?

I know that I can click on the bottom right-hand corner of a cell until the black + sign appears, and then click and drag to fill the same formula, formatting, etc. downward or to the right, with numeric values. If I label, say, cell A1 as A, A2 as B, etc. can I Auto Fill the subsequent cells as C, D, E, and so on?

I appreciate any help you can lend me!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 09:59 AM

The reason numerics work is obvious, Excel is a number - crunching tool, eh?

But Excel confused us about text when it showed it can fill in some text automatically. Like entering MONDAY in a cell then drag/copying down will automatically increment TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, etc.

Same for months. How is it doing this? Well, it's been taught to do this, and you're going to have to teach it your lists, too, even basic A,B,C... etc.

Look in TOOLS > OPTIONS > CUSTOM LISTS and you'll see the entry screen where you can create your additional autofill lists. You can do it manually, or highlight any range of cells on your sheet where you've laid it out.

Teaching your sheet a list of names, like employees, now that's cool to use!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Color fill does not show on Excel 2007 worksheet [ 3 Answers ]

When I use color fill to color the background of a cell, it does not show on the worksheet on the monitor, but it does print out shaded.

Introducingan alpha type puppy to non alpha neutered male adult [ 1 Answers ]

I have a8 week old german shepard pup and am introducing her to a household with a 6yr old whetland terrier (popeye) who has always been the submissive dog with our other dogs - the last alpha passed several months ago. Popeye at first just stayed on my bed and would show his teeth and growl when...

How to count the cells in excel with different fill pattern styles [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I want to count the cells in excel with different fill pattern styles. How is it possible. Can anyone post the function for this purpose like counting coloured cells. I tried a lot , but I got failed. Here I got a function to count cells filled solid, but it is not working... is it...

Turning off auto fill in [ 1 Answers ]

How do I turn off auto fill in - The thing that fills in all your personal info on web pages with out you doing it?

Auto fill [ 1 Answers ]

I entered info on auto fill incorrectly. I cannot figure out how to go back and correct it. Anyone know how to do this? It's a windows vista

View more questions Search