Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uad812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Vcr/dvd nightmare
    I have cable coming from my wall. I need to connect a toshiba vcr and a Samsung dvd recorder to my old TV with one input. I purchased a/b splitter but don't know how to use it to make the connections. Can you give me step by step instructions how. My result is to tape from my vcr, or use my dvd to record.
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jul 13, 2009, 07:17 PM

As I've never seen a DVD player with an RF output, I'm thinking your "one input" on the TV is a composite video input (yellow insulator in jack - often labeled "video in") positioned near two stereo audio inputs (color coded red and white).

Coax cable from wall to input on RF splitter.

Coax connection from one output of splitter to input on VCR.

Coax cable from splitter to input on DVD recorder.

Coax connection from remaining splitter output to the RF input on the TV. This connection would permit watching one channel while recording another and, depending on the design of the VCR, permit TV viewing without turning the VCR on.

Composite and stereo outputs from VCR to switch box (look for at video game outlet or other consumer electronic retailers)

Composite and stereo outputs from DVD recorder to switch box (look for at video game outlet or other consumer electronic retailers)

Composite video and stereo audio outputs from switch box to corresponding inputs on television.

If you television is so old it lacks composite inputs you might need an RF modulator on the DVD recorder outputs, and an RF/coax version of the switch box.
    uad812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Component Issues
    Thanks RobertaVA:

I purchased a phillips Manual HD switcher, is this where I use my yellow, red, white adapters. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say I might need to purchase a RF Modulator. I also purchased a "Y" adapter which takes care of the video and audio adapters on front of the TV. If you can help me the rest of the way I sure will appreciate it.

With this hook-up will I be able to record from the TV to dvd?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2009, 04:49 PM

I've merged your two threads. Please do not start a new thread for follow-up, use the Answer This Questions options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GPA nightmare [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter has a 2.76 undergraduate GPA (engineering) and is presently employed in Biotech field. She is definite about pursuing a MS but it seems all doors are closed for those with below 3.0 GPA. Can you please advise what needs to be done ? Thanks- D

Bad Nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

I had a really bad nightmare last night, that stuck with me and kept me from sleeping the rest of the night. I jotted down a basic outline before the dream faded away. Anyone got any ideas what my subconscious is trying to tell me? • Some sort of acting/LARPing o I was running some sort of...

Bad nightmare [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday night I saw a nightmare that am in a room with thirsty and thinking about food .after words an evil shaped object(black fibrous object) coming in side by intruding the concrete roof and put some fruits on the table in a pot and left the same way with out any holes or any marks on the roof...

Bad nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday night I saw a nightmare in that am sitting in a room with thirsty afterwards a black object (flying fibrous black object) came inside by intruding the concrete roof and put some fruits in a pot on the table and left the same way without making any hole or mark on the roof (I watched it in...

Our nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

My live in boyfriend and I, both who are young professionals, who have never been in trouble before... have created our own little nightmare and now I need help... The other night we got into an argument and things got very heated. We slapped each other and the police were called. I was...

View more questions Search