Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fishburn7 Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Jul 13, 2009, 05:44 AM
    What does this mean for my relationship?
    I get upset/mad/sad/jealous when anything other than me makes my girlfriend happy. When something other than her makes me happy she's happy for me unless she's hiding it from me. Why do I feel like this and what can I do to stop it?
    We're 20 and have been dating for 14 months now and it's always bothered me a little but it's now starting to effect our relationship. What can I do?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 05:58 AM

Sounds like you don't love her at all. If you really loved your girlfriend, you would be happy that she's happy, nor matter who or what is making her happy.

As for you, you have controlling issues. It's good that you recognized this part about yourself. It's time for you to get some professional help. Go see a therapist or counsellor to help you with your self-esteem and confidence, as well as your controlling tendencies.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 07:31 AM

Had to spread the rep I wish! Well said. Many good points and a great suggestion.

I really have to agree that it does sound as if you don't really love her. Because if you did you would be happy that she is happy. What you are doing right now is turning every happy and positive event in her life into a huge negative.

I also agree that you seem to have a controlling issue and it really is good that you have recognized this problem within yourself and that you seek advice concerning it.

I would also suggest that you seek therapy in order to help yourself to get to the bottom of your issue as well as finding a solution to it.

Jul 13, 2009, 08:10 PM
    To tell you the truth it's not every single good thing that I get mad at. It's the stuff I feel like I should be there for. Like vacations and weddings, when the only thing she can talk about is these. Yes that would be horrible if I got upset every time she was happy.

Another quick question here... I'll tell you why this came up after the answers but...
    Do you think people change when they get married?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishburn7 View Post
    I get upset/mad/sad/jealous when anything other than me makes my girlfriend happy.
    Hmm... so ANYTHING that makes her happy, and isn't you, upsets you? That's petty...

to tell you the truth it's not every single good thing that i get mad at.
    Wait, I thought you just said... aha! I see, you're contradicting yourself!
    You're in a contradicting situation with your girlfriend. You want her to be happy, but you only want her happy when it makes you happy, in other words, when YOU make her happy. Still petty, and controlling. This is a sign of emotional instability, and possibly a personality disorder (possibly, not likely).

it's the stuff i feel like i should be there for. like vacations and weddings
    Okay, so it's only the big stuff that you care about? That's shallow, as even short-lived events in one's life can be as meaningful to someone else. I'd be willing to bet it IS everything, but you don't sweat the little stuff. To tell you the truth, fourteen months isn't actually that long, and you haven't been in her life very long. It is nothing compared to the twenty years that she has had her family. When she goes to parties, weddings, on vacation, or whatever, and you're not there, big deal. She was with these people up to eighteen years and ten months. Then, she is with you for fourteen months, obviously, she is going to want to spend some time with them instead of you.

And, finally...
    do you think people change when they get married?
    This could only mean one of two things.
    1: Either, whoever's wedding she was at has since taken a larger role in her life, and you're jealous.
    Or
    2: You want her to marry you, and want yourself to change for the better.

I hope it's the latter, because at least it shows some willingness to change, whereas if it was the former, it shows movement in the opposite direction.
    If it is neither of those two possibilities, then it is completely irrelevant to the matter at hand, as far as as much as you have told us is concerned.

Either way, in my opinion, no single thing actually changes a person. It's the total collection of all that has happened to a person in their life that changes them. In the terms of a wedding, it wouldn't be the fact of "we are legally spouses now" that would change a person, but how much heart they put into planning to satisfy their significant other, what exactly happened at the wedding, the fact that they now have in-laws (gasp!), all of their family and friends' reactions to the event, and other stuff of the sort. However, this ALSO means that a traditional wedding will have MUCH more effect on the change on a person than getting hitched at a shotgun chapel one weekend in Vegas.
    IRISHSAINT26 Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2009, 10:16 PM

This isn't love, and its about you wanting her to revolve around you, it really makes me feel bad for the lady... I would want the person I am with to be happy, and if I can make them smile 4times a day I'd want something else to make them smile 100 times, you must get over this or you will turn to make her miserable as as yourself
    brucep49 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
    First of all, if the two of you are serious then you need to lighten up. Don't be mad at her, say to her "I need to understand you" and because you're both young work on your relationship. Then respond "I have a problem" then take it from there. Two heads are better than one! Don't feel threatened she's yours and she will agree. Jealousy will break up people don't let it break you two. ;)
    rosebud135 Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 14, 2009, 12:06 AM

You sound kind of like my boyfriend. Not to be mean but that's a sign of emotional abuse. You need to ease up and let her be herself. If you love your girlfriend let her be happy. I'm sure she'll be much more happy if you let her do her own thing.

Jul 14, 2009, 05:43 AM
    All these answers are really great, I really appreciate it. Since I've posted this I've already started to loosen up and relax about the issues at hand. I do love her and I do want her happy more than anything else in the world and all of this has made me realize that my life with her is more important than anything else at this point, no matter what it is...

I know in the end (3 or 4 years from now) I'm going to end up marrying her and I know this issue of mine isn't dealt with yet but it's a start and the only thing I can do now is to talk to her about it.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 09:27 AM
    YOu have only been dating for 14 months, and I think it is quite natural to feel insecure in a new relationship.

You will find in the early stages, that you compare yourself to other men, other people's reactions and affects on her, how she interracts and communicates. It is natural to feel a little inadequate, or coming up short, wondering if you have done enough, said enough, expressed yourself enough so she knows how you feel about her.

I don't think this is controlling behaviour as much as I think it is just you getting to know her well enough to feel secure in your relationship. In the beginning we all put our best foot forward, and try 100% to impress, and please our partner, only to have others seemingly make greater impressions.

As time goes on, and the fact that you recognize your feelings as a potential problem, is therapy in itself. As her sincerity is unquestioned and you are certain she is being truthful, you could give her one flower picked out of a garden, and it would mean as much to her as a dozen red roses she receives from a friend.

The meaning and interpretations of behaviour, until you know a person really well, seem questionable, and it is hard to just accept things at face value. As time goes on with your girlfriend, you will hopefully see that she is the type of person you thought she was, and your insecurities will vanish. It will only get better when you realize that you can allow yourself the freedom to just accept her saying, "I love you", and know that that encompasses and means everything.

As to marriage, it is similar in that love is no different on a Friday than it is on a Monday. Making a commitment to marry should be a natural course of events that have culminated over a period. You will have the luxury of loving unconditionally, and being loved unconditionally back.

People do change, of course. Nobody can predict the future, but with a common denominator and strong communication and trust (and love), you can overcome anything that comes your way, together.

I have been married 33 years this July 17th. I can say with honesty that the man I met all those years ago and fell in love with, is still the same love as it is today. Not to say that ups and downs and knock down drag out differences of opinion haven't had us wondering about each other, but, when you start with love, respect, and communication, those things never change.
    Family & People Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 10:15 AM

Glad you're loosening up.

As the others have pointed out, 14 months isn't that long. Give yourself time to allow the relationship to develop. You don't need to get so far ahead of yourself.

If you treat her well and she's happy, then you should be happy. You don't need to worry about so many things. Relationships are suppose to happen naturally. So just focus on enjoying the time that you spend together and things will fall into place.

But also realize that she has her own life and you can't control her actions. By wanting to control her life, you will just push her away. While she's doing her own thing, you should do your own thing as well. Even though you two are a couple, doesn't mean that you're involved in every aspect of each other's lives.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:38 AM
    I had someone just like this in my life once and it made me grow to resent him. No matter what fun thing I talked about, good news, something new, anything at all, even hanging out with friends and something funny happened. Well he would get all quiet and mad like. After some time I just stopped talking. Why bother sharing if its just going to cause guilt. I guess what I am saying is your going to cause her to have resentment towards you. If she can't share and laugh with you about things that have happened in her life then what good are you? You're the one insecure and you need to just be happy for her or your going to lose what you love most right now.

Jul 14, 2009, 11:10 AM

I have been told by every older couple I've ever ran into that relationships take work..

Also, I want her to be involved in every aspect of my life.
    Family & People Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:16 AM
    I have been told by every older couple i've ever ran into that relationships take work..

also, I want her to be involved in every aspect of my life.
    It does take hard work. It's fine that you want her to be involved in every aspect of your life, but you cannot expect the same thing from her.

If you don't mind her being in your life and having some sort of control over you, then that's your business, but it's unreasonable to expect the same thing from her. You have to respect her wishes. Remember, you are with her because you make her happy.

If she doesn't make you happy, while respecting her wishes, then she's not a good match for you.

Jul 15, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Well I plan on thelling her that everything that I've done... all the being upset and sad and mad at her was because I was trying to change her, move her away from things I can't stand. And that if she wants to keep doing whatever she wants it's fine because she's her own person and makes her own choices. But there's a couple things that I can absolutely not stand in a person and she did them before me and doesn't really anymore but still holds onto a couple of them, so I'm going to tell her that I'm not going to date this kind of girl ( and list the things I can't stand) not specifically about her of course.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 06:15 AM
    If you start listing the things you can not stand then that's going to put a pile of strain on your relationship. You might as well pack it up and walk away right now. Just doing that you will have her walking on egg shells thinking you hate everything she is doing. If she made choices BEFORE you that you don't like then so be it. Its before you and that doesn't matter now. Why don't you try pointing out what makes you happy and what you love most about her. I am sorry but reading your posts I just see you causing your own doom. How would you like it if she sat you down and listed what she couldn't stand. Even if its not about you, it kind of makes you wonder doesn't it??

Jul 15, 2009, 06:50 AM
    You're right it was a bad idea.. I do need to tell her why I love her you're right and I have pleanty of reasons but when something upsets me I write it down and when it keeps happening again and again and I keep getting upset over and over again I feel like she should know why.. I have a notebook where I keep things like that and granted it's not even half a page but I feel like she needs to know and I need to tell her to get any effect. She knows these upset me but she keeps doing them for some reason. Like she completely forgets the past..
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 06:57 AM
    I don't think she forgets, I think she is who she is. You can't change her. I don't know what it is upsetting you so much but you can't change a person.
    My husband has been doing the same darn things for years and years, even though they make me cringe. But its just him. That's who he is and I can't change him. You either have to learn to love her for who she is today and move on with her, or let her go. If you have already talked about these things with her your only going to sound like a nag.
    One question, why are you so focused on the negative? That's what I don't understand. You seem so determined to change her ways and remind her of the negative rather then loving her for who she is and accepting her.

Jul 15, 2009, 07:25 AM

Tendencies are one thing... I understand those things like I hate the way she loads the dishwasher or puts towels in with clothes when doing the wash or eating off my plate. I understand that. All that us fine..

Why am I focusing on the negetives? I honestly don't know...
    Wait maybe because I see all of her negetives growing into big huge problems when we're older? Because I picture the future and I'm going to be the happiest person alive because I have her but for some reason I see her bad habits inflating into huge irreversible problems
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Have you ever thought of your bad habits?
    Maybe you chew like a hog and you don't realize it. Maybe your being anal about what load to put the towels in gets on her nerves. Its all these quirks that should make you love her. If she were exactly as you wished she would be then how boring. You sound anal and controlling in a sense. Again, I see this relationship as being doomed. Nothing you said is major. Its all anal picking. Who cares about those petty things.
    What's on the list by the way? The things you hate about her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

Relationship [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 and soon turning 18 in 3 months and I am dating a long distant girl that is 14. We have been together for over a year and her parents don't know about me. Is it illegal for us to date even though its long distance and were not having sex? Can I still date her long distantly when I turn 18?

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

Just cannot get into a relationship [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Hello there I am 26 yrs old and have not yet got a sensible partner for a relationship. I work for an organization that gives me total work satisfaction. At work I am hard working and my colleagues enjoy working with me. Back home, I am a cheerful person, and a responsible...

View more questions Search