Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joelandd Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Carac (fluorouracil) Cream 0.5%
    Does anyone someone that may have used Carac cream for any type of skin disease. Apparently the primary purpose of Carac is used to treat Actinic Keratosis. At least that's what it says on the brochure. However I do not have Actinic Keratosis... I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. My dermatologist recommend I use Carac to treat the areas of my face that are persistently red, scaly, itchy, etc. My concern is that if a product is designed for treating one disease, should it be used to treat another? Or are the two skin diseases I'm referring to so similar that this cream can work for either or?

This is a tough one. Thanks in advance.

:confused:
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 16, 2006, 07:43 PM
    An actinic keratosis is a scaly or crusty bump that forms on the skin surface. Seborrheic dermatitis is characterized by reddish or pink patches of skin, accompanied by greasy flakes or scales. These two skin conditions are types dermatitis. Dermatitis, also known as eczema, is a skin irritation characterized by red, flaky skin, sometimes with cracks or tiny blisters. Carac Cream is indicated for the topical treatment of multiple actinic keratosis. It can also be used to treat seborrheic dermatitis.

You should use Carac as prescribed by your doctor. He/she has prescribed this treatment because it may help clear up your condition.

Oct 16, 2006, 08:22 PM
    PrettyLady. Thank you for your reply.
    One of the potential side effects of Carac, quoted directly from the brochure:
    "These reactions include redness, dryness, burning, pain, erosion (loss of the upper layer of skin)?? I can't have that. This sounds quite severe. Do you know anyone that has used Carac cream for the symptoms I have or for any other purpose.
    -

Oct 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
    All medications can cause side effects. If you are concerned about taking Carac, please talk to your doctor. Antifungal creams or hydrocortisone creams can also help control your skin condition. Hun, ask your doctor if he/she can prescribe a treatment that doesn't cause any severe side effects.

Oct 19, 2006, 07:36 PM
    I have spoken to my doctor about my concerns and I have tried other medications, but I think this may be a cure so-to-speak. I personally know someone who has used Carac and says his skin is clear and the reoccurance of his similar condition has seised. However, horrific appearance of his face going through it was rough. Pain was not a factor.

I believe this extreme measure is necessary simply because it is affecting my life in many ways. I cannot even sweat anymore without having a flare-up. Extreme heat causes this too, stress and wind.

My question to you is, do you believe I will have any permanent side effects once the treatment is completed? What exactly is Carac cream doing to my skin during treatment?
    -

Oct 20, 2006, 03:32 PM
    You will not have permanent side effects. The side effects begins in few days of treatment and may continue for 2 or more weeks after treatment is completed. When using Carac, it can cause irritation and then sloughing, or shedding, of these abnormal cells. Most people who use Carac will experience side effects, such as redness, dryness, burning and pain. Keep in mind that this treatment can cause a flare ups or skin reactions, and it will gradually work to clear up your skin. If you are not sure about Carac, consult your dermatologist. Your dermatologist will be able to provide you answers on how the treatment works.

Oct 25, 2006, 07:26 PM
    PrettyLady -

I finally got my prescription to Carac. I was wondering... Can I use Carac on my shoulders and upper back where other areas of skin damage are? I wanted to try it on my back and shoulders frst to see the results.

Thanks for reading.:o

By the way, do you have a webpage? And what is your background?
    -

Oct 25, 2006, 07:57 PM
    If you have Seborrheic Dermatitis on your back and shoulders, you can use the Carac Cream on those areas also.

Sorry, I don't have a webpage, but I plan to have one in the near future.;)

Oct 26, 2006, 05:12 AM
    Are you a dermatologist? What is your profession?

Oct 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
    PrettyLady

After explaining to my dermatologist that I have started using Carac on my shoulders, chest and upper back - He said "It is clinically not indicated to do this and against my medical advice."
    -

Oct 26, 2006, 08:43 PM
    If your dermatologist doesn't want you to use it on your shoulders and back, then you should follow your dermatologist's advice and use it as recommended.

The answer to your question is in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Know any stretchmark cream?. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got stretch-mark from growing and I wanted to know if any one Know of any cream that can take away stretch marks... please let me know If you know of any Thanks

Which cream is better for lighter skin?papaya cream and soap or magic cream? [ 5 Answers ]

Which one it the best papaya soap and cream or magic cream?. How long does it take to see results when using papaya soap and or cream or both together?. How long dose it take to see results when using magic cream and or soap?. Or both together?. Please e-mail me and let me know thanks...

Ponds cream [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... recently I have been using a cream called ponds cream but I don't know if it works... I really want to lighting my skin cause I have brown skin so can anyone please help me and tell me what products to use

Fade Cream [ 1 Answers ]

Do I use A moisterizer before I apply a fade cream or after.

Skin Cream You Use [ 14 Answers ]

Sup, post the cream you use on your face, and body. Also if you shave post the cream you use ( I think shaving cream has something to do with how your skin feels, both face and legs.) Also post wheather you like them or not... I use kiehl's ultra facial moustrizer spf 15 on my face. Works...

View more questions Search