Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Well in that case God doesn't need us to come to him, because we're all his children and no matter what we do he would never deny us the gift of heaven.
    We don't come to Him; He comes to us, after finding us like a shepherd finds the lost sheep and gently carries it back to the herd.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Unfortunately the minority go to heaven.
    Yes, "unfortunately" is right. Some unfortunately think that. And I'll bet you count yourself in that "minority."
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
    So, if your son was an adult, and you wanted him to move in with you, ylou'd force him to do so whether he wanted to or not?
    That scenario doesn't make sense and does not speak to the message Altenweg is sending. The proper scenario is if the adult son wanted to move home would she reject him, the answer being no obviously. Why would want to force him to live at home?? What analogy are you trying to make with that?
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 14, 2009, 11:24 AM

John 8:43-45
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
    45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
    (KJV)

Jesus was talking to men, human beings, and he most certainly did NOT consider them to be Heaven bound.

They made the wrong choice and went to Hell. Please make sure you do not do the same thing.

I'm simply pointing out that just because we are humans does not automatically mean we are children of God. See verse below.

John 1:12
    12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    (KJV)

We are not born sons of God, we become sons of God through grace by faith.

Eph 2:8-9
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    (KJV)

(Off thread, I know, but the OP has gotten several outstanding answers so far.)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That scenario doesn't make sense and does not speak to the message Altenweg is sending. The proper scenario is if the adult son wanted to move home would she reject him, the answer being no obviously.
    There's the story of the prodigal son...
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yes, "unfortunately" is right. Some unfortunately think that. And I'll bet you count yourself in that "minority."
    Right the minority think that, and that is because God said it is true:

Luke 13:23-28
    23 Then one said to Him, "Lord, are there few who are saved?" And He said to them, 24 Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,' 26 then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.' 27 But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That scenario doesn't make sense and does not speak to the message Altenweg is sending. The proper scenario is if the adult son wanted to move home would she reject him, the answer being no obviously. Why would want to force him to live at home??? What analogy are you trying to make with that?
    No, it is exactly the right analogy because all men have rejected God by sinning (Rom 3:23), and God calls them to return, desires that they return and God paid the price for their sins so that the way is open for their return. Whether they do is up to them. God does not force us to come, and thus most will not come. For all to be saved would require that God force us against our will to be saved.

So, for everyone to be saved, the analogy would be that she would force her son to live with her using whatever means at her disposal if the son did not wish to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
    God desires that they pay the price for their sins
    Huh?

Forget the Prodigal Son story then, I guess.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Huh?

Forget the Prodigal Son story then, I guess.
    Perhaps you should read the prodigal son story again. Show me where the father sent the police out to drag the son home and force him to stay home.

I missed that.

Seems to me that he decided to return.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Perhaps you should read the prodigal son story again. Show me where the father sent the police out to drag the son home and force him to stay home.

I missed that.

Seems to me that he decided to return.
    No, I wasn't referring to that. My point was your comment --

Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    God desires that they pay the price for their sins
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
    We don't come to Him; He comes to us, after finding us like a shepherd finds the lost sheep and gently carries it back to the herd.
    Then you don't agree with this passage?

Acts 15:17
    17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the LORD,
    Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
    Says the LORD who does all these things.'
    NKJV
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:09 PM

I can't imagine this thread will live to see another day...
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
    I stand by what my posts says

No, it is exactly the right analogy because all men have rejected God by sinning (Rom 3:23), and God calls them to return, desires that they return and God paid the price for their sins so that the way is open for their return. Whether they do is up to them. God does not force us to come, and thus most will not come. For all to be saved would require that God force us against our will to be saved.

So, for everyone to be saved, the analogy would be that she would force her son to live with her using whatever means at her disposal if the son did not wish to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

Apparently, there are at least two ways of thinking about infant baptism -- 1) God has commanded that even babies are to be baptised because He will send His Spirit to work faith in a baby's heart, and 2) people should not be baptised until they intellectually understand what baptism is.

The difference seems to limit God, that He cannot work faith in a baby's heart but must wait until it is cognitively ready.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Apparently, there are at least two ways of thinking about infant baptism -- 1) God has commanded that even babies are to be baptised because He will send His Spirit to work faith in a baby's heart,
    Where do you get that God commanded that babies are to be baptised? Baby baptism is more of an aknowledgment of THEIR statement that THEY will raise the baby to follow God to the best of their ability. More like people that dedicate their baby instead of baptising.
    The baby still has to get baptised for their own sign of their outward aknowledgment of God once they get to be old enough to accept God. So basically a baby being baptized is not a commandment. It is more of a ritual.
    How does a baby have faith worked in its heart?

As they grow older through the years they either except or reject God so the faith is there or it isn't. Yeah God can work faith into their heart but it isn't based on whether the parents baptised the baby. Baby baptism is more for affirmation to the parents of their intent to raise the child godly.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:51 PM

I have never said, nor do I believe that anyone but Jesus pays the price for sins.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    where do you get that God commanded that babies are to be baptised?
    "Go ye therefore...baptize all nations." (Babies are part of "all nations.")

How does a baby have faith worked in its heart?
    The Holy Spirit comes along and begins the process of working faith.

Hmmm, I've never been rebaptized as an adult. Am I going to hell?

Most mainstream Christian churches do infant baptisms and accept each other's baptisms, so the person doesn't have to be rebapized if a different church is joined.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:58 PM

Why haven't you been baptised as an adult?
    The Bible says repent and be baptised. Meaning that order.
    A baby can not repent so as an adult they should affirm their baby baptism.

I don't think not getting baptised sends you to hell so no I don't think that would be what would send you to hell if you were to end up there. The thief on the cross was never baptised.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
    why haven't you been baptised as an adult?
    My baptism as an infant is sufficient.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 02:08 PM
    why haven't you been baptised as an adult?
    Good point.

I don't think not getting baptised sends you to hell so no I don't think that would be what would send you to hell if you were to end up there. The thief on the cross was never baptised.
    Agreed. There is nothing in scripture which requires that you to be saved. We are commended to be baptized as adults, so it is an act of obedience, but there is nothing telling us that babies are to be baptized. There is nothing wrong with doing so, but it will not affect the baby's salvation, nor does it count as believer's baptism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need clarification [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and this month I started spotting and getting brown discharge a week before my period starts. My period is irregular but it never came early and definitely never light. I took a test and it was negative. Is it too...

Clarification Before I Buy [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. Just getting some last minute advice before I run out and spend money lol. I am running a line out to a detached building. It will be coming out of a 200 amp service into a 60 amp breaker sub panel. I will use 6-3 w/gnd (Underground w/ conduit) to do this as well as #6 to run from the ground...

Stimulus Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I just need some clarification as to the stimulus plan, so here are my details - I was laid off last year(2007). My wife and I filed jointly for 2007. My Gross Adjusted Income was about $9000. $3000 was Earned Income(Jobs), while the rest was Unemployment. Totally, we paid $651 in federal...

Cotangent clarification [ 1 Answers ]

My equation is this y = cot x This was a sample question in my online review. I have all the x's as x1 = 0, x2= pi/8, x3= pi/4, x4= 3pi/8, x5= pi/2, x6= 5pi/8, x7= 3pi/4, x8= pi. These are all in the lesson plan. The y's are as follows y1= domain, y2= 2.41, y3= 1, y4 = 0.41, y5 =...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

View more questions Search