Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jul 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Replacing wallpaper with paint
    I have 3 rooms that have wallpaper in them. I want to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls.

1. Any tips on removing the wallpaper, or do I just pull it off.

2. What type of surface preparation will I need to do after removing the wallpaper.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 06:28 PM

Is the paper strippable (which makes it much easier)? Sometimes strippable paper is hung with paste and that makes it no longer strippable.

I had my wallpaper steamed off, the walls sanded and washed, dried, then sealed and painted.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is the paper strippable (which makes it much easier)? .
    I have no idea. The only thing I know about wallpaper is that I don't want to try putting it up myself. Which is why I intend to paint the walls. I can maintain that without paying someone to do it for me.

It sounds like there was a lot of prep before your walls were painted. Is that normal, recommended?

Thanks for the reply.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:28 AM

Hi, walt17!

How old would you say the wallpaper is that's on your walls, please? It would be helpful to know that.

The prepping of walls that are perfectly flat and free of imperfections isn't hard. But, how to remove the wallpaper the most efficiently can depend on a few factors that are as yet undetermined here.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17 View Post
    I have no idea. The only thing I know about wallpaper is that I don't want to try putting it up myself. Which is why I intend to paint the walls. I can maintain that without paying someone to do it for me.

It sounds like there was a lot of prep before your walls were painted. Is that normal, recommended?

Thanks for the reply.

I hired a painting/wallpaper contractor to do the job. He had a hand steamer and the paper came off (for the most part) very easily. He told me that the prep work was "standard" and would ensure that the paint went on smoothly and evenly.

He said even with strippable paper that the wall would have to be washed, sanded and primed.

It's what he recommended.

In order to determine if the paper was strippable he started at the baseboard and pulled the corner upward. As it happened I have a fairly long hallway and that paper WAS strippable, hung with water, and it just peeled off. Everything else was hung with paste and had to have the "full treatment."

Jul 13, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, walt17!

How old would you say the wallpaper is that's on your walls, please? It would be helpful to know that.

The prepping of walls that are perfectly flat and free of imperfections isn't hard. But, how to remove the wallpaper the most efficiently can depend on a few factors that are as yet undetermined here.

Thanks!
    It was here when I moved in, so it is at least 5 years old. From conversations with my neighbors about the prior owners, I'm guessing it is close to 10 years old.

I know the walls are smooth. Unfortunately, I won't know the exact condition until I remove the wall paper.

Thanks for the replies,
    Walt
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17 View Post
    It was here when I moved in, so it is at least 5 years old. From conversations with my neighbors about the prior owners, I'm guessing it is close to 10 years old.

I know the walls are smooth. Unfortunately, I won't know the exact condition until I remove the wall paper.

Thanks for the replies,
    Walt

Sure - come back and let us know. Hopefully the walls are in great shape but I also understand sanding is necessary to remove any paste that doesn't wash off.

I left out the part about one area in my house that had to be spackled. Apparently the horrid experience wiped my mind of that part!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot set my wallpaper [ 1 Answers ]

When I go to properties an choose wallpaper after applying and OK still the old one is displayed

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

Paint over wallpaper? [ 8 Answers ]

I am admittedly lazy and do not want to strip off wall paper. It's on good, no bulges, bubbles, tears, etc, so I was hoping to apply joint compound in a thin glaze to texturize, then prime, then paint. Question is: can I do all that ON TOP of wall paper? It's a paper, not vinyl/plastic paper,...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Taking off Wallpaper to paint [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper in a bathroom so I can paint and there isn't a bunch of glue left over? Someone told me to rent a steamer? Does that work?

View more questions Search