Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyonsmusic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Can I be forced to sell my home?
    I have accumalated a large amount of unsecured credit card debt. The amount of debt exceeds the value of my home, that I own. No mortgage. What I am wanting to know is can the debtors ffile suit against me and force me to sell my home? Chapter 7 bankruptcy nor Chaper 13 are an option due the value of my home. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has knowledge on this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2009, 04:08 PM

Generally, your home is exempt from unsecured debt. At most, they might be able to place a lien against your home, but not force you to sell.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 04:11 PM

Whatnabout getting a mortgage on your home to settle some of your debt?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 05:18 PM

she said the amount of debt is more than the value of her house, that is why I said most.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be forced to leave the marital home [ 3 Answers ]

Can my wife force me to move out of our marital home? I have always paid the mortgage as she doesn't work. The house is in just my name. She has left the home with our two sons and gone to live with her mother. She has also refused to let me see our children.

If I am a 1/2 on a deed can I be forced to sell property? [ 3 Answers ]

I went in partners on my parents ranch I am on the Deed Both parents are deceased and I am arguably intitled to a 1/3 of the other 1/2. Of course my siblings want to force a sale can they?

We are being forced to move out of our mobile home park [ 10 Answers ]

We were told last week we had to move out by the end of June. (all 300 mobile homes) The reason, the Dept of environmental quality told the owners in 2002 they needed to upgrade the sewer treatment system. They did nothing. We were not aware of this information until last week. Can I stop...

Can I be forced to sell an asset to pay a law suit [ 2 Answers ]

My 16 yr old daughter was involved in an accident resulting in a pedestrian being injured. Of course, this pedestrian was trying to play chicken with her car according to a relative of the pedestrian. I only had the minimum amount of liablility insurance. He needed an operation on his leg and...

Can I be forced to leave the marital home [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has left our home with our two sons and is now living with her mother. She told me that she wants me to leave the home, so she can move back in with our children and also wants me to continue to pay the mortgage and all the bills. She is not working and never has since our children were...

View more questions Search