Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deb4459 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Fan on ouside unit won't turn
    We have an amana outside central air conditioner unit and when we turn it on it squeals and the fan on the unit doesn't turn. When my husband turned it manually it started and ran fine but when it shut down and started back up the fan did the same thing. We are trying to figure out what part needs to be replaced... any suggestions?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 11:13 AM

I suspect the fan motor is shot. You'll have to install a replacement motor. The fan blade can usually be removed and reinstalled on a new motor.

Look on the motor for the model and get an exact replacement, if possible. If not, talk to a guy at a motor shop and see if he can get you one of the same horsepower and velocity and with the same frame so that it will fit. Be sure and replace the starting capacitor at the same time.
    deb4459 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:37 AM
    The motor turns on and works with help and we are wondering if it is the capicitor. Is there a way to know if it is the motor or capicitor?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 12, 2009, 12:10 PM

if you have a volt meter that can check microfareds... yes you can check it. Also if the capacitor looks like the top is bubbled or broke than yes its bad.
    you can get a capacitor at grainer and try it first. It's a whole lot cheaper than a motor. If the motors blades sin freely there is a good chance the capacitor is just to weak to make the motor run.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 01:25 PM

It definitely won't hurt to replace the capacitor, first. A starting capacitor costs approximately 3% of the cost of a motor (give or take).

You can try to check a capacitor with an ohmmeter -- but only approximately. You'll only be able to see its resistance drop. This is a very rough estimate of capacitance and with a digital ohmmeter, it's almost impossible to get a decent reading. A voltmeter is not a tool to test a capacitor. Of course, most meters are multimeters or volt-ohm meters.

To check the capacitance, you need a meter that reads capacitance. Those are available, but quite rare. I believe you'd be better off simply buying replacing a starting capacitor and seeing if that fixes the situation.

The fact that you said the motor squeals when it is turned on implied to me that the motor bearing is bad. That will require a motor replacement. If that's not so, (if it only needs a push to start), then replace the capacitor.

Disconnect the power and see how freely the fan blade turns. It should turn freely, and when released, it should be able to coast through at least one or two revolutions.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 12, 2009, 01:52 PM

There is only 20 companies that make volt/multimeters that check microfareds or capacitence. They are not that hard to find. Also they make a tester for just capacitors.
    If in doubt just take the old capacitor in to be tested.

The squealing is more than likely the compressor. Since your motor is not running the compressor is over heating quickly and the higher amps and head pressure are making it squeal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac unit will not turn on [ 41 Answers ]

Hi the unti just will not turn on. It is a lennox elite 13 and only 5 years old. Is there a reset button anywhere we have checked the circuits and fuses

A/C inside Blower unit and ouside condenser grounding [ 4 Answers ]

My house is 20+ years old. While working in the main electrical panel, I've noticed the A/C wiring for the inside and outside units have their ground wire cut off at the entry to The main panel, and therefore not connected to the ground bar. After further examining The inside and outside units, I...

Fan is having problems staying on on ouside ac unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, name is walt, having some cooling problems wit a trane heating unit outside wherein the cooling fan has stopped working, I patched it up wit another one, work for a day or so and now the newer one is having problems. To make matters worse, I think the whole unit is starting to overheat now,...

Ac Unit Fan will not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

My outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and theMy outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and then makes a sound like it is attempting to turn on, but the fan doesn't power on. Every minute or...

Unit does not turn on at all... [ 4 Answers ]

Help me please, I get power to all lines, wires, breaker boxes etc... but when I turn on both heat or air conditioner I get nothing at all. I tried replacing the thermostat and that did not fix the problem. I went outside to the condenser unit and took off the panel and pressed the contactor and...

View more questions Search