Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1021georgina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Beneficiaries of Estate
    My sister passed with a will leaving her estate to her adult 2 daughters with me as the Executor; there are no assets with the estate other than the house; trying to sell the house has been difficult and now there are foundation issues to address before anyone would consider buying the house. The daughters want to let the house go to the bank before putting any monies into it... even thought their name is not on the mortgage... can the bank go to the daughters as beneficiaries of the estate for any mortgages owed? Can the daughters just walk away and what are my responsibilities as an executor?
    I did consult an estate attorney initially but that was before it appeared the house might not sell; am I liable for anything if we just let the bank take it?
    Thanks for considering this request.
    Sue B.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1021georgina View Post
    ... can the bank go to the daughters as beneficiaries of the estate for any mortgages owed?
    No.
    Can the daughters just walk away...
    Yes.
    and what are my responsibilities as an executor?
    If, as I understand your post, you have not applied to the probate court to probate the will, you have no responsibility.

But if the daughters do decide to just walk away, you had best get a letter from the daughters absolving you of any responsibility. This may be handy to avoid hard feelings if, years from now, the daughters or their family have second thoughts.

A further thought: the bank really doesn't want the house either. It might be worthwhile sitting down with someone with the bank to renegotiate the mortgage. Explain to them the predicament they are in (probable abandoned house; needs substantial improvements; probable total write-off for the bank). Offer to fix it up if the daughters will agree to a new mortgage at a new, lower principal amount and at present-day interest rates (very low).

Again, your neices have no legal responsibility unless they choose to assume one. So be frank with the bank.
    1021georgina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 05:06 PM
    I did go to probate court in April 2009 to start the process; what are my liabilities with the mortgage or with the bank at this time. My first course of action is to find an experienced realtor to sell the house quickly; work with the bank to see if they'll accept any amount over the next 3 months and if it doesn't sell in 3 months after all my efforts... then let the bank take it... but then there will be no monies available to pay any administrative costs incurred so far; no executor fees to be paid to me and no reimbursement of any funeral expenses to my parents who paid the bill (and my sister expressed in her Will that her estate pay the funeral costs... any other thoughts or recommendations as to how I should proceed? Thanks for your time.
    Sue B.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 05:13 AM
    So you accepted the responsibilities of personal representative (executrix) then. No problem. You still aren't personally liable.

I would have your lawyer look into whether administrative costs, executor fees, and funeral costs are priority claims senior to the claim of the bank. I suspect that they are not. In that case, the plan you have set out seems to be a reasonable one. I would file a report with the court explaining your situation and get the court to approve letting the bank take it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health Policy / Beneficiaries [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If my fiancé puts his 2 daughters 10 & 5 years old as his health beneficiaries does that mean if something happens to him the mother of the girls gets the benefits?

Life Insurance Beneficiaries [ 1 Answers ]

My brother passed away a few months ago in California. He had not made a will before his passing. Rick was 60 years old and I am his only brother. Our parents passed away long ago so other than myself he had no other relatives i.e. wife or children. My question is about a life insurrance policy...

Life insurance beneficiaries [ 8 Answers ]

My mother did not name beneficiaries on her lifr insurance policy. Can my sister, as my mom's legal representative designate the beneficiaries.

Executors responsibilities to the beneficiaries [ 2 Answers ]

My brother was named executor of my mothers estate which included an annuity and her home. My brother, 2 sisters and myself are the beneficiaries. No one has seen the will or any accounting of the estate. My brother is holding on to the annuity for any bills and taxes. He has not listed the house...

Can beneficiaries force a sale? [ 4 Answers ]

Two sisters share ownership of a home. One sister passes away, leaving her interest in the home to one of her daughters. Can this daughter force a sale of the home in order to obtain her inheritance?

View more questions Search