Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SpanSpic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Go off into a trance when trying to learn
    I am 48 and my whole life I have had this issue. When I am trying to learn, whether it be reading, listening, in a class room or watching a training video. I get very sleepy. Almost like I am going off into trance. I can't focus, have bad comprehension and recall. I end up feeling lost. It kept me from going onto collage after high school. Now I need to improve my job skills to stay competitive.
    I have books and other training materials available to me. I start to use them but never finish. What can I do to over come this. I get plenty of sleep and have a regular healthy diet. But as soon as any type of learn takes focused. I get a sleepy, trance like feeling.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 05:58 PM

I am the same way. I even get a numb tingly feeling in my head or even through my body sometimes too.
    The only thing that really helps me is taking vitamin B complex and Royal B jelly but I haven't tried much of anything else.
    candis555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Well you should stay awake when doing this things drink coke or something
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 06:02 PM

Cola can have a reverse effect especially when you drink too much. And the problem is uncontrollable as far as just telling yourself to stay awake.
    I use to wonder if I had Narcolepsy, STILL wonder if that is what it is.
    SpanSpic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 06:13 PM
    I know what you mean. I wondered if I had Narcolepsy too. Will try the vitamins and Royal Bee Jelly.
    weetamoe79 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
    I had a similar experience and attempted college three times. Years later, on the fourth try, a sibling noticed my struggle and suggested I be tested for ADD. The results of a series of tests showed a large discrepancy between verbal and written IQ. In other words, I did have a brain but it was difficult for me to perform at my potential. After trying a few medicines for ADD, I found one that worked for me. I now have my master's degree and will start on my phd in the near future!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Does this sleepiness only happen when you're trying to concentrate mentally? If so then I doubt that it's narcolepsy or some other sleep disorder. It could be ADD, like the previous poster suggested. Consider getting yourself tested. There are medications that can treat ADD but exhaustive diagnosis is needed first.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 22, 2009, 01:38 AM

Hi there,
    How frustrating this must be for you! There are probably several factors which come into play here. There are solutions for you. You probably also learn differently and need the right approach for you.

When I was in high school, I was on a team that volunteered to help the elderly to learn basic internet skills. They were so excited that they wanted to continue to learn more. We found a program for them run by the county office of education. This program offered several classes ranging from computer skills to accounting skills. These courses are designed in such a way that people who require a little more time to learn, can easily pick up these skills.

The courses are divided into very short chapters filled with colorful illustrations that really hold your interest and attention. You can spend as much time as you need on each chapter until you get it. These are self paced and there are caring people working there who want to see you succeed.

It is a mixed group of people ranging in all ages. You work independently and you will feel quite successful because it is designed for you to "get it". The elderly people had some challenges due to being a bit nervous about learning anything new and having slowed down a bit and they all did great in this program and learned new computer skills!

The cost of the program was a small fee or free if you cannot pay. They also assist with job placement. Just contact the Office of Education in your county. Be sure you ask them about the program for adults to gain new skills for the workplace. It's awesome that you are taking charge here and looking for ways to improve yourself! Good luck to you... :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 02:03 AM
    Hi, SpanSpic!

Are you still experiencing having the problem that you had, please?

Thanks!
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 22, 2009, 01:44 PM

You know, many of the larger health food stores have a naturopathic doctor on site. The consultation is free and they might be able to shed some light as to whether you are eating foods that worsen the brain fog. You might have some hidden food allergies. The doctor can offer some suggestions on supplements and perhaps some exercises you can do to help stimulate your brain.

You would be amazed at how some minor modifications in your diet can alleviate a lot of your symptoms. At least you will notice some improvement and this will give you the energy and confidence to continue on your quest for being your best! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gothic, techno/dance/trance, KNOW ANY? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew any good bands that are gothic techno stuff... e.g. Abney park, Cruxshadows. :)

Trance A/C w/ Furnace - No Power - Help [ 1 Answers ]

Please Help! Trane XB1000 - A/C w/ Natural Gas Furnace Mfg. Date 04/96 I recently moved to a new home that has an A/C w/ furnace for the downstairs. It has been running just fine until yesterday. It was working in the AM, I set the thermostat lower to shut off and left it alone. I went to...

Dog goes into trance like state when exposed to smoke [ 1 Answers ]

My 1 yr old lab goes into a trance like state when exposed to smoke from overcooked steak or pancakes or probably any other food. Have not tried to burn other foods yet.Have you heard of this condition? What is cause?

View more questions Search