Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
    I was let go by a company 3years ago I have a 401k plan there. I am wondering if I can withdraw these funds at this time.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo
    i was let go by a company 3years ago i have a 401k plan there. I am wondering if i can withdraw these funds at this time.
    Yes, but ask them to make sure, you will have to pay taxes on the entire distribution since you were granted a deduction for the contributions, if tax deferred in then it will be taxed coming out, unless you are at least 59 1/2 yrs old. Check into taking out a loan, no taxes then, just interest on what you borrow. Plan must permit loans, some do not.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 31, 2006, 12:29 AM
    You can always withdraw but there is a penalty on top of tax you pay if you are under certain age (59 1/2?). So, taking out a loan against your 401k may be better. The interest you pay goes into your 401k account so it is like an interest free loan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Since you are no longer working there a loan is generally not a possibil;ity since the loan payments usually have to be from payroll deductions.

As noted, you can withdraw the money, but if you aren't of retirement age, you will pay a penalty. In addition the withdrawal is taxed as regular income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a 401K plan with a company that is doing very well in the stock market. The company is selling this particular property in Western NY. The new owner does not offer a 401K plan. What are our options with the money in the 401K? I know we can roll it into a Roth IRA but I was wondering...

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

View more questions Search