Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iriswiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Hot water draining out of PVC pipe from foundation
    There is HOT water that has been draining from the PVC (downspout) pipe which comes out of my foundation. Thought it might be condensation from AC due to hot weather, but I've had the AC switched thermostat to OFF for 2 weeks while on vacation - came home and checked pipe first - it has still been draining HOT water... thinking it is not from AC - Does anyone know where the water could be coming from? And is it a simple fix or something I should be worried with? I SO would appreciate any help / guidance! :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 11, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Let's determine where it's coming from. To check for a hidden leak go out to the water meter, look for the little hand below the read out. With all your fixtures shut off you should not see the little hand moving. The faster it moves the bigger the leak. On a pump system the gauge should not fall with every thing off and the pump up to pressure and not running. Now shut the water off to your water heater and see if hot water still exits the pipe. I don't know what kind of piping you have in your house or if your built on a slab. We check differently for houses built on slabs. If you have a older home, 1970/75, you may have galvainzed iron pipe leading to the house from your meter or pump. If it's leaking don't even bother to dig it up. Run a new service line out of sch.#40 PVC. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. TOM
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:40 PM

Since the water is hot, it's probably the pressure relief valve on the water heater. Folllow the plumbing for a valve that is usually mounted near the top and side of the tank. The output of that valve is a pipe. It usually has a small lever on it. It can sometimes be re-seated again, but may have to be replaced.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:52 PM

KeepItSimpleStupid stated very well and it is possible to make sure locate your T&P valve it is installed on the top or on the side of your water heater, lift the lever and see if the water flow increases then this is your T&P valve leaking and you have to replace it, see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2009, 05:50 AM
    If you determine it's the T&P valve the next thing is to find out why. If you have a sprinkler system or a backflow preventer installed next to the meter you'll need to install a expansion tank on the cold water feed to the heater. Or it could be simply a piece of trash cought under the seat. Jiggle the lever and try to flush it out. Failing that simply replace the valve. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub & bath sink not draining, slab foundation and septic system [ 1 Answers ]

The tub and bathroom sink will not drain. I have plunged and have used chemicals. This house is on a slab foundation and septic tank. All of the other plumbing in house is fine, ie: kitchen,washer,etc.

How expensive is it to replace water pipe leaking in the foundation? [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed that our grass near the corner of the house was soaked. Dug up the ground and found water leaking out of the water pipe where it meets the concrete foundation. Plumber said there is a pipe leak in the foundation and a new pipe will have to be ran probably to the center of the house in an...

Cold water supply pipe under sink won't stop draining [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I had a faucet leaking from the spout. I turned off the water at the main line outside my house, turned off the valve stops, and took the stem to Lowe's to replace it. Found out faucet is too old for repair parts. I bought a new faucet, also stainless steel mesh supply lines and new valve...

How do you replace water pipe coming through foundation wall? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 inch galvanized water supply line that's 20 feet long and is about 3 feet below grade. It runs from a well-pit, through the pits cinder block wall, and then on to my house and through the cinder block foundation wall. This pipe is old and leaking and needs to be replaced. Is the...

View more questions Search