Ask
    briandestefano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Sheet rock tape, mesh or other
    What's better
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 01:09 PM

I prefer the paper tape, but I know people who like the self-adhesive mesh.

I don't think one is that much better than the other. But of course, since I use the paper, I must think it's better.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 01:10 PM

It depends on who u talk to.

I personally like the glued mesh. Eliminates one coat.

Chuck
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 11, 2009, 01:58 PM

I concur with Chuck. The glued mesh cuts down on time and one coat of compound.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 01:05 AM

The glued mesh cuts down on time and one coat of compound
    Must coat awfully thick. The tape mesh is thicker then the tape.

I prefer tape. Cheaper, not as thick to cover and less flaring out then tape.

I personally think mesh was made because DIYs get bubbles in there tape. It also marketed as stronger so it sells. Realistically If it wants to crack it will.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 02:35 AM

Your right about cracking. Makes no dif tape or mesh. I'm just lazy.

To put 3 coats of compound on tape without sanding/sponging, have to go over one area 5 times. With mesh 4 times.

Chuck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 03:46 AM

Hi, briandestefano!

I tried the mesh, but now prefer to use the tape because I was having trouble with the mesh sticking through the compound when sanding it. I suppose that it just does depend on a person's method of application of the compound, experience and personal preferences that they might have. I've worked much more with the plain tape, so I'm much more used to working with it.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 12:44 PM

Creahands. I'm not a professional finisher ( wish I was at times )but had my fair share of doing 99% finishing drywall on our job sites

I find what a lot of people do ( especially in inside corners) is coat the whole inside of the corners. I usually have enough walls to make this work. For home owners this would method works well

Mud inside corner and apply tape. Now drag out excess compound flatting tape both sides making a nice straight sharp corner. Leave just enough compound on to hold tape and also see tape. While still wet , apply a second coat on one inside only to cover tape. This done right is the last coat on that edge. Let it all dry out. Now due the opposite side of the corner and since the opposing corner is dry you can drag the knife against a solid edge to keep that crisp corner. Again just the right amount of compound does the trick. Very little sanding or just wet/damp sponging is needed. Those V corner blades they sell are not worth the weight they take up.

My factory depressed butt seams usually takes one coat and then a touch skim coat. Little to no sanding. The flat butt seams take a lot of flaring to get a handle on that as you well know.

Anyhow that what works for me and greatly cuts down the coats I call it one and half coat

Gentlemen. Just to share how I clean up my re haps Gut and stud or additions. I use Attic fans and a leaf blower to clean up the job site after drywall finishing.

I came up with my system/method from a brick pointing job I did back in the 90s.

We had over 5 miles of mortar joints to grind out and point up. Phase one was 65' high and 80' long and a lot of dust seeped into the warehouse and old wooden unfinished floors.

I had 288,00 square feet to clean mortar dust out of. It took only 2 men two days to clean it. My theory was, (what comes in on air can leave on air ) . Just need to re-suspend the dust.

Since then I Never use a shop vac if at all possible to clean up after drywall finishing on rehabs. The leaf blower suspends the settled dust and the air the window fans are in carries it away. We laugh at times it looks like the building is on fire. The leaf blower also takes care if the problem of dust over door trim and roughed in outlet boxes.

My guys thought I was nuts. I can clean out a 2 story in an hour in dust etc.

I put the Hi CFM fan in a strategic window and open and close other windows to re direct the air flow through rooms/hallways etc. Turn on the leaf blower and let it rip.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 09:59 PM

21 Boat

I am not a pro finisher either. Have worked both tape and mesh.

Great care must be taken with tape in corners. Most DIYers not good enough to do this. Usually put too much compound in corners before tape. Tape ripples.

Use same method u do, only eliminate compound under mesh. Compound in mesh on cut rock wall first. This gives me guide for my 4'' knife.

Like the leaf blower idea. My jobs are too small for its use, but will remember it.

Hae not done any large jobs since the early 90's.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

Hae not done any large jobs since the early 90's.
    I tried mesh when it first came out and I hated it. I was determined to learn the pro ways. I watch finishers and they still blow me away. However they are all but impossible to find. Its now the cheap labor done buy others not born here and they aren't understanding what real quality is in building .The quality has been so bad lately. The flip side I'm looking more professional But the money isn't there for it. Out sourced.. The real professional tradesmen is dwindling. Im over 50 and no one coming up behind me. One year I posted a wanted add for skill ed help. Left the add run for a year to find some real craftsmen

Hi chuck what kind of jobs do you get into and are the any fun?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:36 AM

Hi 21Boat

Started working in heavy construction in NYC.

Worked in home remodeling for 15yrs.

Been doing home maintenance (handyman) since 1976. Only work to keep hands busy now.

I'm 72 yrs young.

It is scary to watch workers now. Don't think I have seen a pro in many years. And repairs I do never seem to amaze me.

Daughter had extension put on her house and builder told me roof line could not match in front because of ''widths of house and extension were different''.

Chuck
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jul 14, 2009, 06:14 PM

Hi I own BRD Wallsystems in Green Bay Wi and you can use ether one but the mesh tape you have to coat it with a setting type compound and the corners do not come out very nice plus the but joints most all the time crack that is why we use paper tape on all joints and metal corner beads on all outside corners here plus the paper tape is 10 times stronger than mesh
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 08:02 PM

It is scary to watch workers now
    Hi Crehands. I started as a Mason and make a darn good carpentry/Crete/boilers/wiring/etc.

Had to buy a backhoe in the 80s because it got to hard to find an operator that can dig straight and step footers right. A Greek Pythagoras' gave the world 3,4,5, 6,8,10,. Pythagoras' theorem is getting lost in the trades. This is how us Masons check our corners when the criss cross is impossible. Before fancy gadgets. I still use a hose water level when the job transits/lasers won't match up.

How about replacing and old window sill and not making a kerf saw cut under the sill so water doesn't drip back into the structure.

I could write a book on how to build but too many can't read let alone comprehend it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:25 AM

21Boat

As long as things have to be "politically correct'', we will have a problem.

Correct/right doesn't matter any more.

Worked in an oriental carpet store in the 60's.
    The Armenian (called him Andy- could not pronounce his name) would not work when anyone watching. Said u steal with your eyes.

Started as a carpenter and branched out from there. Learned the most when I was construction super for a remodeling company.
    Because u steal with your eyes.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 10:42 AM

politically correct'',
    Hurt more then helped.
    Crehands check your in box on messages. Don't know if you know it exists.

Open up site main site page and look upper left for messages. Or check your history and can access it there.
    jehovajireh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Hello:

My name is Carlos I have a drywall and painting company,
    Mesh tape works great when you are doing patch work , but when you are doing a basemant or a house regular tape for drywall works great.

Hopefully this can help you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing sheet rock sill plate rotted [ 2 Answers ]

I recently took all the sheetrock from an outside wall I noticed the sill plate along the bottom of the studs is rotted no termites maybe just dry rot is there any way to replace without tearing the whole wall down

Mold on sheet rock [ 7 Answers ]

My mothers roof leaked for about 2 years, maybe longer. Now in the closet under where the leak was in the roof, I can see what I believe is mold, it is on the wall and on the ceiling, water had damaged the floor to a point I almost fell into the space under the doorway, the person who is fixing the...

Sheet rock outside corners [ 2 Answers ]

Any preferences between metal and plastic beads for outside corners? Thoughts on pros and cons of each? Anyone prefer just tape? Thanks in advance. - Dennis

How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape? Yes, I'm a complete newbie Appreciate any...

View more questions Search