Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Full body donation
    I have decided to give my full body to science.To a local university hospital.
    Cadavers have always been in short supply and provide a great resource for students.

I will have no service and my cremated remains will go to my family after they have used my body for whatever reason they see fit.Any bone I have that is healthy can be used for implantation into people who need it.

My 22 yr.old son has a problem with that.I have the paperwork but I have refrained from signing until I can get him on board.My 29 yr.old son is fine with it.

He saw a movie called *pathology* where the medical students were playing around with body parts and being generally horrible as it was a horror movie. He seems to think this is a true possibility and his thought is that it would *totally freak him out* to think someone was messing with me like that after my death.

I have told him ,my body is only a shell and even if that were to happen,I am not there and my soul has left my body, it is not ME.

He said he just can't handle the idea and while I want to leave this earth doing a final good deed,I do not want to do so at the expense of my sons comfort.

I should also mention,the cremation is free and this would be a wise choice for financial reasons as well.

What are your thoughts ?

Thank-you in advance :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 11:57 AM

If this is just on opinions...

I like it but I don't if that makes sense.

It is a wonderful idea and it would be an amazing gesture to give your body to help others in such a way.
    The medical students don't go playing around with bodies at all. My friend was a med student and she cried and left to room the firs time she saw a cadaver.

The reasons I don't like it are purely personal. I guess it just wouldn't feel right. I'm not a big believer of life after death but I want my body to remain intact. Organ donation is a strong possibility for me but my whole body would just be too much.

If you do decide to do it just remember you are doing a wonderful thing.
    jaimie02 Posts: 114, Reputation: 6

Jul 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

I think it is a good idea. I appreciate people who do, because I want to go to med school.

My mom wants to do the same thing. And I am slightly uncomfortable with it, but that is purely because I have this crazy idea that she will die before I do dissections, and I will somehow end up with her. But I know that's unlikely and I support her decision.

Explain to your son that you are doing it to help people. You could save many lives just by donating yourself. He is an adult and he should be able to maturely understand that.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 06:02 PM

Any other thoughts? Just trying to bump up the thread here :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 06:06 PM
    I like the idea, as my MIL wants to do this. However, it prolongs the grieving process for the family. The cadaver can be at the university for a year or longer before given back to the family. The family then has to grieve all over again.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 12:08 AM

Wow, I never knew that J_9, I assumed it would be used a lot faster than that.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 01:08 AM

This is something I considered for myself also.
    I was able to donate some of my daughters organs,and knowing that I was helping other families really helped the grieving process.No one else in my family would agree,but it was not up to them.

I agree with your thinking that my body is only a shell,the essence of me is not flesh and bones.

Donating your body,can only further science and make better doctors,who one day may save countless lifes because of it.

I applaud you.
    MWilken Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2009, 02:22 AM
    I agree completely, I have donated my body to the Baylor College of Medicine in 1999 and I carry my donor card with me at all times, you are absolutely correct we only live in the body, the soul never dies. I do believe in reincarnation and yes we always will be here as a spirit, with a body or without.

To me it is important that people who study medicine learn on a human body, animals are not build the same way and respond completely different to medication, therefore I don't understand why they are used in anyway.

Jul 12, 2009, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I like the idea, as my MIL wants to do this. However, it prolongs the grieving process for the family. The cadaver can be at the university for a year or longer before given back to the family. The family then has to grieve all over again.
    As a nurse you should understand a full body donation, why would the family have to grief again, it is done when the person dies, you don't understand that, it sounds like you want to dwell in grief. Get a grip.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MWilken View Post
    As a nurse you should understand a full body donation, why would the family have to grief again, it is done when the person dies, you don't understand that, it sounds like you want to dwell in grief. Get a grip.
    I can understand you way of thinking, yes of coarse you can grieve after the person dies and then merely receive their ashes later as a memory, but I understand J_9's too,
    A lot of people feel closure when they have a funeral and physically bury their loved one or receive their ashes. And I don't think she needs to "get a grip"
    Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
    As a nurse I DO understand a full body donation. With a minor in psychology I also understand the grieving process.

The body can stay in the possession of the facility for up to a year or more, at which time it is cremated and the remains given back to the family. When this happens the family is reminded once again, in full force, of the death of the loved one and the grieving process starts all over again. Therefore, the family grieves not once, but twice over the death of the loved one. While some people cannot handle the death of a loved one once, they must deal with it a second time and it can be psychologically devastating to that person.

I don't want to dwell in grief, just pointing out some of the psychological aspects. AND, MWilken, sounds like you need to take a psychology course or two and get a grip on reality yourself!
    Khmerbodian Posts: 62, Reputation: 7
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 06:20 PM

I think that is the most unselfish thing that anyone can ever do! I admire that very much!
    Khmerbodian Posts: 62, Reputation: 7
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 06:24 PM
    I am not rude, I am realistic and if she cannot be realistic as a Nurse, maybe she needs a different occupation
    Just because it is not something you would do personally, does not give you the right to tell someone what their occupation should and shouldn't be!
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khmerbodian View Post
    Just because it is not something you would do personally, does not give you the right to tell someone what their occupation should and shouldn't be!
    Thank you!! I am very realistic, and I think that one of the most honorable, unselfish and admirable acts a human can do is give their body to science.

I was only attempting to point out why the family may feel as they do when another family member wants to do this. Apparently my post was misread by another poster.

Not all families feel this way, some do think it admirable and support their family members' decision. Yet, there are others who may not want to, or are afraid they can't, deal with the emotional baggage that comes along with the passing of the loved one only to be greatly reminded when they have to deal with it all over again when the ashes are handed back a year or more later. For some it only prolongs the closure.
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 16, 2009, 07:27 PM

I agree with you: once the soul leaves the body, your body is, well... not really you! Haha. I think it's great that you're wanting to help others with your parts afterwards. That's very kind of you: who knows how many lives you might save?

Anyway, I think good for you!
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 08:34 PM
    ask a Doctor who studied Medicine, they are very realistic.
    Oh, yeah, and I studied medicine too. Ask any hospital nurse... we care for the patient more than the doctor does. They visit maybe once a day... We care 24/7. We know everything about the patient including, but not limited to family dynamics, and that is part of what this decision entails. The doctors do not meet the families most of the time, at least the extended families. We get to know them personally, what goes on in their daily lives. The doctors read test results and treat accordingly, we are the ones who are the patient and the family advocates. We step in when the doctor's advice/decision does not meet that of the patient or the family. The nurses are the ones who treat the patient at night, while the doctors are sleeping. It is up to us to make decisions at the last moment according to the wishes of the patient and family.

Believe it or not, we frequently question doctors' orders as we spend the most time with the patient, and orders are changed according to what we suggest. We are the medical personnel who become attached to the patients and families that we deal with on a long term or daily basis. We develop long term friendships with loved ones.

Jul 17, 2009, 03:47 AM
    Don't you have anything esle to do as to attack me, I have my opinion and YOU are not able to change it, SO LEAVE ME ALONE, your opinion ist not important to me. YOU are not GOD because you are a nurse.
    Besides the medical Profession does not care about the patient, they are about WHEN they get paid from the patient, it the patient has not money and no insurance, they will not help that patient, I do know that.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 07:18 AM

I appologise to J_9 for jumping in but MWilkin, it was you that first did the attacking by accusing J_9 of needing to "Get a grip" because of her OPINION.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Besides the medical Profession does not care about the patient, they are about WHEN they get paid from the patient, it the patient has not money and no insurance, they will not help that patient, I do know that.
    It's apparent you have an issue with medical professionals. I'm sorry you feel this way. But not all of us are uncaring and only want to get paid. I am in it for the passion, not the paycheck.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

To get back to the OP's question

I can see where your younger son is coming from, if you were my mum id have a problem with it as well, I know and understand that it is for a very good cause, but personally I couldn't get over people taking my mum apart and cutting her up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe to shower after a full body massage? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend is so hard headed. He never listens to me if I told him not to shower after a massage. I usually give him a full body massage and he showers after . He told me that in the hotel where he had professional massage he was allowed to shower. When I ask a massage therapist from a salon,...

Full body stain on new shingle siding - best way? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a full body stain over some new cedar shingles. What is the best way to do this?

Full body detox [ 1 Answers ]

I am in desperate need for a full body detox please can someone help me I have started juicing green vegies which help, but I need something more, I have heard of warm water with lemon for a week, please please please can someone with some knowledge of the body help me because I feel like crap....

Need a blazer body for 87-90 full size [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a older blazer body full size blazer it has a 350 motor for a 88-90 mine fell apart

View more questions Search