Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdeboy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Teenage Pregnancy?
    My son's girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. Her own mother will not take her to the doctor,
    She is constantly calling her names. Telling her she is going to take the baby from her.
    The verbal abuse is BAD, her mother is not doing anything to help the mother of my grandchild. I have been there for the teenage mother, she needs to go to the doctor. She is going to high school full time. She is trying to plan her diploma around having the baby.
    But she want to leave her mother's house, I do not have any rights to let her stay with me? Or do I? Her mother said she would report her as a runaway, then the court will get involved. Please anyone that has any suggestions... This girl needs HELP!

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Why don't you take her to the doctor?

How old is she?

Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders, except for getting pregnant while still in school, but lives in an abusive situation.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 16, 2006, 09:07 AM
    You can take her to the doctor, when you go explain what is going on. Depending on her age and the state you are in laws do very. I do not think her mother could do anything about her living with you. The doctor will know the laws and will help you.

Oct 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
    She is 16 years old, can I legally sign for her to see the doctor in Indiana? The laws change everyday it seems..
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 09:12 AM
    I am not sure about IN, but here in TN when a teen becomes pregnant, she is a legally emancipated adult.

So, she should be able to sign for herself at the doctor.

Just call a local OBGYN and ask their policies.

Oct 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
    She could also start at a local health department. I would not be at all frightened by her mother. Some people just love to yell, but do nothing. It is not like you could get in any trouble helping the girl. Do what you can now, I believe during pregnancy the baby needs peace. She could always go to court and become emancipated from her mother. I do not think it would lead to that.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
    As far as her pregnancy and health is concerned, she may already be considered emancipated and would not need her mother's consent for medical treatment.

Oct 16, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    As far as her pregnancy and health is concerned, she may already be considered emancipated and would not need her mother's consent for medical treatment.
    Have to spread it around... very true. Just take her.
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Oct 16, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Hello, I live in Indy, and am certain that she can see a doctor without her mother. Take her to Planned Parenthood. I really don't think the law will do anything to her if she leaves her mothers house. My sister got pregnant at 16, and took off with the baby. My mom called the police to try and report her as a runaway because she was concerned for the baby. The police told my mother that there really wasn't anything they could do about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Indiana

There are statutes governing the emancipation of children. They are located under Indiana Code 31-34-20-6.

In order to be emancipated, a child must meet the following criteria:
    A. the child wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer needs that control and protection
    B. the child has sufficient money for the child's own support
    C. the child understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection
    D. the child has an acceptable plan for independent living

Unfortunately, children do not understand the implications involved in emancipation. In order to terminate a guardian's right to control of a child, a petition must be filed in a court. Such a process would require an attorney. Although an individual can file a PRO SE petition, they would need to be extremely knowledgeable in family law and civil proceedings. I would imagine that a child with such capabilities would be difficult to come across.

Courts usually grant such petitions under the following circumstances:
    A. It would be necessary for a pregnant child to be emancipated so that child can the exclusive right to any and all decisions regarding themselves and their baby.
    B. It would be necessary for a child to be emancipated so that child can enter into contract for a business or similar activity.

Courts usually do not grant such petitions in cases where there are parent-child problems unless it is a final solution to the problem.

If you feel that it is necessary to be emancipated and you no longer need to depend on your parent(s), then you should contact a family law attorney to aid you in the process.

There is no automatic emancipation in Indiana, but there are plenty of planned parenthood clinic throughout the state. Do whatever you can for this girl and your grandchild and legally you may not be able to take her into your home but morally you may have to. Let the mother call the police and start building a documented case for abuse on her part. Child Protective Services is an option. Just to ask have you tried talking with this crazy sounding woman?
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Aha, T-Man you are right when it comes to Legal Emancipation. However, medical emancipation is a different matter.

Because she is pregnant, she is caring for an unborn child. She is emancipated in the fact that she does not need her mother's consent for medical treatment when dealing with the health of the unborn child.

Now, if she broke her arm and needed surgery to repair it, she would need the consent of her parent.

There is a slight difference here.

If an 11 year old walks into my ER with a sick baby (her child), that 11 year old can sign consent for treatment. That child is an emancipated adult in the sense that she is caring for her child.

This was just a test question I had the other day, I got it right. ;)
    myhonda98 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tdeboy
    My son's girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. Her own mother will not take her to the doctor,
    she is constantly calling her names. Telling her she is going to take the baby from her.
    The verbal abuse is BAD, her mother is not doing anything to help the mother of my grandchild. I have been there for the teenage mother, she needs to go to the doctor. She is going to high school full time. She is trying to plan her diploma around having the baby.
    But she want to leave her mother's house, I do not have any rights to let her stay with me?? Or do I?? Her mother said she would report her as a runaway, then the court will get involved. Please anyone that has any suggestions... This girl needs HELP!!

Thanks
    I was a teen ager when I was pregnant and I did not have that problem with my mother . And my daughter was 15 when she got pregnant . Her mother better take her to the dr or she can be charged with neglect. If she is pregnant in most states she can become imancipated. For me my daughter asked to live with her boyfriend and all we did was go to the district magistrate and have it in writing and notorized. But that was with my permission. Then after the baby was born they all lived with me. But my daughter had a hard pregnancy she had pre eclampsia which is high blood pressure and it can harm the mother and baby. So I would call cys or somebody to find out what you can do because by law there is no way she can take the baby from her and she must seek a dr.

Oct 16, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Good News!! She has a doctor appointment tomorrow 3pm, she also has a WIC appointment this week. I am going to do what I can to help her. Still looking for some baby things, she is a very smart girl who is learning from her mistakes. As we all do... Thanks for all your support.. Will keep you updated.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Wow, that is GREAT news. We all love to hear good news. Keep us posted.
    asm me anything Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tdeboy
    My son's girlfriend is 4 months pregnant. He own mother will not take her to the doctor,
    she is constantly calling her names. Telling her she is going to take the baby fom her.
    The verbal abuse is BAD, her mother is not doing anything to help the mother of my grandchild. I have been there for the teenage mother, she needs to go to the doctor. She is going to high school full time. She is tying to plan her diploma aound having the baby.
    But she want to leave her mother's house, I do not have any rights to let her stay with me?? Or do I?? He mother said she would report her as a runaway, then the court will get involved. Please anyone that has any suggestions... This girl needs HELP!!

Thanks
    I think you have every right to let her stay with you she is caring your grand child and your sons child...
    But if the court gets involved then go to court and say what you think is right for all four of yous the baby, the mother of the baby, the father of the baby and you because what is best for you 3 is what should go.
    So don't hesatate to say what you think
    YungJay2008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 12:15 PM
    I am a teen parent, and I know that if she needs to go to the Dr. and her mom is refusing to take her, that is child neglect. Also when the mom is calling her names that is verbal child abuse. Yes you can help her go to court for this situation and either get custody of her, or get her emancipated. I believe that this would be considered an emergancy in Dr.'s eyes, because her mom is putting stress on her by doing this and that provides a high risk for losing her baby. My girlfriend almost lost hers from stress, and she's already at a high risk pregnancy because she's under 18. She needs more care for her pregnancy that a normal adult does. My son is now 18 mo. And he is a blessing even though I'm only 17. And I urge you to do whatever you can to help her. (if you have any other question's e-mail me at [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage girls dating losers [ 20 Answers ]

I have heard from many parents that many teenage girls go through a phase where they get involved with boys who are losers and troublemakers. I'm worried that this will happen with my daughters. Do any other parents have any experience with this phase and advice other than not allowing dating...

Headaches in teenage girls [ 7 Answers ]

If my teenage girl is not getting enough sleep could it cause headaches? She only sleeps about 7 hours a night and sometimes less than that.

HELP with Teenage Daughter [ 8 Answers ]

I need help. My 17 year old daughter is pregnant and I cannot mentally deal with her decision to have a baby. Over the past five years my daughter has taken me through one bad ordeal after another. My family has tried to help but they have had to put her out of their homes. Recently our house...

Teenage daughter and pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Hello My daughter is 17 and pregnant. Not to get into much detail, the father is not the type of person I want my Grandchild alone with nor his family. What should we do? Do we have to file for custody after the birth? Or will it be granted to my daughter? Do we has parents have rights...

Teenage stomach problems [ 2 Answers ]

My teenage daughter has been complaining about unusal problems. She often feels sick after eating. Her stools are also mushy (they don't stick together properly) and have large identifiable bits of food in them. I am afraid her stomach is not digesting her food properly or there is a dietary...

View more questions Search