Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GANDALPH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Bathing a beagle
    I am going to try to bath our beagle, no problem. I have been told that his anal glands must be empty. How do I empty them?
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 16, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Dogs have little tear-drop-shaped glands (one on each side of the anus). The function of the glands is to provide lubrication for the contents of the rectum and scent marking.

Most dogs never have any issues, but some dogs seem predisposed to anal gland impaction. You might notice a dog scooting across the carpet in an effort to relieve the discomfort of swollen or compacted glands.

Some people believe that only a vet should empty anal glands because if done incorrectly, there's a possibility of rupturing the gland and causing infection. Besides the fact that the smell could knock a buzzard off a s__t wagon.

You can express the glands externally (recommended for a 'novice') or internally (have your vet do it, or show you how).

If the dog does not have a problem, I would not recommend expressing (squeezing) the glands. Dogs hate it (wouldn't you?) and it's unnecessary in most cases.

Here's a great link for more information regarding anal glands:http://http://www.marvistavet.com/ht...anal_sacs.html

And some more illustrations to assist you:

</IMG></IMG>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
    I never heard of the anal glands needing to be empty. I never bothered about it when I bathed a dog and my authoritative puppy raising manual doesn't mention it. I don't think instructions on emptying them will work well in text.

I would skip the glands and maybe the bath too. If you are feeding a good chow, brushing the dog regularly with a soft bristled brush, and the dog is healthy, odor shouldn't be a problem unless he manages to roll in stinky stuff.

If you insist on bathing him, rinse, rinse, rinse every last bit of shampoo out.

Oct 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I never heard of the anal glands needing to be empty. I never bothered about it when I bathed a dog and my authoritative puppy raising manual doesn't mention it. I don't think instructions on emptying them will work well in text.

I would skip the glands and maybe the bath too. If you are feeding a good chow, brushing the dog regularly with a soft bristled brush, and the dog is healthy, odor shouldn't be a problem unless he manages to roll in stinky stuff.

If you insist on bathing him, rinse, rinse, rinse every last bit of shampoo out.
    There are some breeds such as Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Shih Tzus, Lhasa Apsos, etc. that tend to develop issues with their glands regardless of diet. Call it bad breeding or whatever... it happens.

I agree that bathing is not always a necessity and one should always rinse, rinse, rinse, if you do shampoo a dog or cat.

However, I also think that bathing is not something to be avoided if the animal starts to smell "doggy".

*Not to contradict labman, because I have found his advice to be very sound and acurate, but I'm a dog groomer, so we're bound to conflict on the bathing thing! (I really do think you're swell, labman, even though you don't want your dogs to smell all 'froo-froo'! HA!:p )
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 16, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GANDALPH
    I am going to try to bath our beagle, no problem. I have been told that his anal glands must be empty. How do I empty them?
    There is really no reason to empty them unless he is having problems, they express themselves when your dog has a normal bowel movement, we have raised poms, and I myself have had huskies, beagles, labs and labX's and have never had to "empty" any of their glands myself.

Oct 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda
    there is really no reason to empty them unless he is having problems, they express themselves when your dog has a normal bowel movement
    I totally agree that they shouldn't be touched unless proven to be a problem. I guess I didn't 'express' myself very well in my original answer (yeah, it's corny, but c'mon, you smiled, right?). :rolleyes:
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Oct 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
    *L* OK, 10 points for you because I not only smiled, I laughed *L*
    Terrypie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 08:56 AM
    I have a Beagle and the vet told me it was practice to have Beagles' anal glands expressed. He had been scooting on the carpet and kind of sad, and I took him in and his glands were full, which made him uncomfortable. I'l love to be able to do it myself, but I don't think Buddy would let me. And I hear it is quite unpleasant an experience for owner and dog. We were told to do it every month... but I think we'll make it every three months and see how it goes. Before Buddy, we had three Doberman, who never had glands expressed and were fine. It must be a common problem for Beagles.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 09:03 AM

It's not a common problem in a particular breed.
    However some dogs do get impacted or infected anal glands. That do need emptying.
    It can be easy or difficult, depending on the dog, but I would highly recommend a groomer or vet to show you how to do it correctly before attempting it yourself.

A good diet fixes the issue as each time they poop they express a little of that fluid if their stools are firm enough.

However, this thread is from 2006 so I will be closing it.

Please remember to check the dates before posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Still need help on my beagle pup [ 5 Answers ]

I am still having the same problems as before with my beagle... the kennel training for us has been hell... I thought dogs aren't supposed to pooh in their sleeping space and eating place?. is it just a phase pups go through when they pee when they haven't seen you in awhile?. im getting all kinds...

Beagle Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a beagle puppy from a breeder and he is about 8 weeks old. For the first few days I had him he was great, he was very playful and easy going. Now he tends to growl and snap at anyone who grabs him and interrupts the activity he is engaged with currently. Now this is a problem but...

Need help beagle [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 4 years old He has gotten very sick and I cannot afford to take him to a vet. He has become very tired won't eat and is drinking some water but not much .He is an outside dog he has had all his shots. I went and purchased some penecillin to see if that would help but his condition is not...

Beagle hellllllp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beagle pup, about 3-4 months old. I got her around 8 weeks old. We have been crate training her, and we thought she was progressing well, but all of a sudden now she pees when she comes IN from outside. I may have her out for several hours with me, and as soon as we go in, she pees on...

My beagle has parvo [ 1 Answers ]

Well I've had a few post in here about my beagles bad habits... and I have not had to ask questions reason being my beagle (molly) has made a huge improvement... she has become such a good puppy... but anyway I've been noticing her stool to be slimmy and mucusy... and her throwing up... so I just...

View more questions Search