Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennis321 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Must I, by law, sell my (our) house in a divorce split?
    My husband (no, my name is not dennis, I am a female.. don't know what got into me with this log in name! ).. - is threatening to serve me papers, and that I MUST agree to sell our house (so he can go off and buy another one in another (cheap) state.. and I, will undoubtedly get screwed, as where we live now, there is NO WAY that I could afford ANYTHING with half the sale of the house, especially in this horrible market!).

In addition to this, he also states that he has an "attorney" (one of his friends at work) - that insists that I have no right to his pension at all! He's a vindictive SOB with a severe personality disorder, and has threatened me that he'll work (at a job he hates!) until he drops dead in order to keep me from getting anything. I also, at this time, have my own business, and it is not very lucrative, to say the least. However, I earned more than the lion's share for 20 out of 28 years of our marriage!!

If it is true (is it?) that in the end, everything is a 50/50 split, what can I expect to get?

(P.S. If it IS true that everything gets split in the end, then why bother getting a "good", expensive lawyer in the first place?? ).
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 05:59 PM

First off what state is this ? Also can you afford to buy out his 1/2 of the house should it come to that ? Also if you can it wouldn't hurt you to hire a lawyer if he has one just to stop the BS that he's spewing.
    dennis321 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    First off what state is this ? Also can you afford to buy out his 1/2 of the house should it come to that ? Also if you can it wouldnt hurt you to hire a lawyer if he has one just to stop the BS that hes spewing.
    We live in New York, and the state he wants to move to is Vermont..?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After Divorce Split 401k With Exwife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I Need Help In How To Settle Or Split The 401k With Exwife. We Got Divorced And Settle This Year 06 I Had A Lawyer For This Divorce Case.. After It Settle Lawyer Told Me That Don't Know How To Do Quatro Order... Or Split The 401k Pension.. Anyhow I Can't Find Who Take This Kind Of...

I don't want to sell my house [ 2 Answers ]

I was planning to sell my house and I have signed the commitment, but now I want to give up. What can happen if I don't sell my house? What should I pay?

Who has the right to sell house [ 1 Answers ]

The deed is in my friend's name also The mortgage is in my name I recently signed with realtor to sell the house Do I need both of us permission or just my signatures are okay with realtor:confused:

Can my HOA sell my house? [ 2 Answers ]

I am behind in my hoa dues and was cited for a satellite dish in front of my house. My hoa sent me to collections and they are threatening to sell my house if I do not pay in full. Can they legally sell my house even though I'm the one who pays the mortgage on it?

Need To Sell My House [ 3 Answers ]

My house is on the market and we need to sell before we lose it to foreclosure, how long do I have to try to sell it before we lose it? It is not official yet, but possible this month if we do not catch up on past payments. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

View more questions Search