Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumn1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Increasing dial up speed in PC
    SIR,
    I have DIAL UP CONNECTION AND ITS SPEED IS VERY SLOW AT AROUND 25Kbps accoding to recent online speed test
    Inform me any way to get a minimum increase in upload speed.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 02:01 PM

The speed you get depends on the quality of the phone lines connecting you to the Internet Service Provider. If you have a 56K modem (there aren't many slower than that any more), it will connect at the maximum speed that will reliably transmit data.

Maybe someone else has some idea about how to ask the phone company for help.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:48 AM

We used to use LocalNet which provided a program to "speed up" the Internet. What it did was reduce the quality of images so that the pages would load faster.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 02:09 PM

As mentioned above, line quality is key.

You can try a shorter phone line from wall to modem
    (a newer/shorter) an old phone cable may have some loss in line quality

If you have other phones attached to the same phone lines throughout your home - disconnect other phones when using your dial-up if possible

Optimize TCP settings, this small app can do that for you
    (This will help but only get you maybe 1 or 2kb more, better than nothing)
    SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

And lastly, the fastest speed for a 56kb modem (in US) is
    53.6kb by law
    techsavy27 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2009, 09:49 PM

1. Update your old modem to increase dial-up speed. Check to make sure your modem has the latest technology built in. If you purchase a new computer, it will come with the latest modem technology but if you have an old computer, then updating may be necessary.
    2. Increase the size of your hard drive. The smaller hard drives tend to fill up and slow down overall performance of your computer including dial-up speed. The solution is to buy more memory for your computer.
    3. Check for viruses and other mal-ware. If you computer is infected it will slow down all systems including dial-up speed to access websites and downloading files and programs.
    4. Empty cookies and cache regularly. As you browse the Internet, your browser picks up packets of information, called cookies, and stores this information in temporary files for easy future location. Save the page to your favorites if you will be returning often and empty your cookies and cache.
    5. Choose "tools" from the toolbar list and pick "Internet Options" from the drop down list to empty cookies and cache. Click on "delete files" then click on "delete cookies." Click OK.
    6. Turn off webpage images as these images take up a lot of bandwidth and can slow your dial-up speed tremendously.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 08:45 AM
    All right
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ancient Sunbeam Mixmaster only runs at full speed (speed control not fuctional) [ 19 Answers ]

I wonder what's wrong? It's a wonderful antique. Looks not too different to this: Sunbeam Mixmaster Stand Mixer : Target It has a variable speed control. All of a sudden it no longer responds to the speed dial but runs top speed constantly. What is wrong and how might I go about fixing...

Dial-up speed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I have got a dial-up connection and to download something goes at about 4kb/s. Is this normal or is my computer or service provider responsible ? Thanks for your help Claus

Increasing foot speed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a 12 yr old who plays baseball and is very good except for foot speed. How do you increase the foot speed for a young person Ty

View more questions Search