Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Beginner Bike Suggestions
    In a few minutes I have to leave to head to my first course of motorcycle training. After the training is complete, I want to buy a bike right away so I can continue my practice.

I'm looking to get a cruiser in the 250 class, any suggestions? The Yamaha V-Star caught my eye.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 10:15 AM

I think you get what you pay for and prefer a Honda Goldwing.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
    I got a 2006 Virago 250.
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 06:36 AM

Goldwings are nice, not for a first bike.
    Cornering, stopping and accelerating need to be automatic, practice.
    Use your signals and stay out of peoples blindspots, drive like cars are trying to hit you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I'm only 5'-7" so I doubt I'd even fit on a GoldWing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Use your signals and stay out of peoples blindspots, drive like cars are trying to hit you.
    I just ordered some gear this weekend. In my state, there isn't a helmet law, but I'm going to wear a full-face, Snell approved helmet anyway.

I live right down the street from a big open parking lot. I plan to practice what I learned in the MSF course for a month or two, then hit the road at 6:00 AM on a Saturday morning so I can have it to myself. I just met a landscaper who's been riding for years who's willing to coach me too, so I got a mentor to help me out.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:39 AM

I'm 5' 7", and have had some of the Biggest and Most Powerful Bikes. The problem is when you are moving very slow or stopped.
    TulipJen Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2009, 07:05 PM
    I'm 5' 6-1/2" female and ride a 2005 Yamaha VStar 650 Custom. I love it and it has been a great bike. I'm really glad I didn't get a 250 right out of training class, because the 650 is almost getting "too small" a year into it. My SO wants to ride to Sturgis next summer and I am worried that my 650 is not heavy enough to withstand the SD winds. My opinion, get a decent used smallish bike (650 or so) for a year or two of riding, keep customizations to a minimum, sell it, and then trade up to something a little bigger with more power and customize that. Just my 2 cents.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:06 AM

TulipJen, A 650 Yamaha got me from Nevada to the Florida Keys and an 85 Lb Duffle Bag in 6 days. Vibration was tough. A 4 Cylinder would have been smoother.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TulipJen View Post
    I'm 5' 6-1/2" female and ride a 2005 Yamaha VStar 650 Custom. I love it and it has been a great bike. I'm really glad I didn't get a 250 right out of training class, because the 650 is almost getting "too small" a year into it. My SO wants to ride to Sturgis next summer and I am worried that my 650 is not heavy enough to withstand the SD winds. My opinion, get a decent used smallish bike (650 or so) for a year or two of riding, keep customizations to a minimum, sell it, and then trade up to something a little bigger with more power and customize that. Just my 2 cents.

How much do you weigh? I'm 5'4", 105 pounds, can handle a Goldwing but it's really too big for me.I like a bike with weight to it.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 10:03 AM

Purely bragging but I just added a photo of the Goldwing to my photo album at AMHD.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 10:30 AM

Well, I haven't had the Virago 250 for long (bought it in July) but I'm already bored with it, I'm trying to sell it on craigslist as I write this. I topped it out at 70MPH and can't get it any faster than that. I'm not looking to blaze trails, but I want a bike that's safe enough to catch up with the flow of traffic on the highway, like during rush-hour.

I rode an EX500 for a weekend and that was fun, and real fast compared to my bike, but also really shaky on lousy roads. It built my confidence in that I can at least handle a bike bigger than mine. So next season, if I can afford it, I think I'm going to buy one of those new V-Star 950's. I thought about a 650, but I think I'd rather have a big large enough so I can comfortably take a passenger and some luggage. Now that I've been riding, big bikes don't seem as big anymore.

And, most likely, the riding season is officially over. We had some flurries today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    The starting and stopping is, but cornering can still has room for improvement; I tend to scrape my pegs a lot.
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 10:14 AM

Scraping the Pegs is OK, That is your indicator to not lean over further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm not a beginner but. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm currently using the vista system with my brand new bought in April dell laptop.. inspiron 1545 I believe to be exact... everyone calls it the inspiron 15 and don't use the last two numbers... what I was wondering was what's all of your opinions on vista? Also.. I have two buttons on my...

A beginner in Sales [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this website and I am very new to sales. My fiance's aunt created her own mineral-based makeup line called about face by Pamela John. I have recently started to find retail stores such as salons and boutiques to carry her line. I was wondering what your thoughts were on...

Swimming for a beginner [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if someone could give me a good workout for a beginner. I took swimming in college and am now a smoker. I am trying to quit. Just looking for a good beginning routine.

A Beginner Drum Set [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I've started drum lessons and my drum teacher is teaching me drum beats. The only problem is I don't have a drum set yet. I was looking to go Pearl. But the problem is, there are seven different series. So I'm looking for a series that is: 1) Good for beginners 2)Good Quality...

Computer beginner [ 1 Answers ]

I'm new to computers and I just got a notebook, there was really no actual manual with it, just basic information, my question is what are the top row of keys, the ones that have f1-f2, etc, what are they for and how do you use them, not only are they label fi, but it also has a question mark...

View more questions Search