Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toomuchbooty Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Biological Father through DNA name change
    I just found out I have an 18 month old child and I want the child's last name to be mine and the mother is OK with it. I don't want to have to pay over $300 to change it. Since the father was unknown at birth and never signed the certificate do I just go sign it at the court house or how does this work? Is there a time after I found out?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 04:14 PM

You should be able to file the paperwork at the court yourself. There will be a fee - its $90 in Florida where I live.

You and the mother go to court, fill out some paperwork. You may spend a few minutes with the judge explaining why you want the name change.

You cannot just sign the birth certificate. That is a legal document and in order to change it once it has been filed requires a court order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological father needs to be added to birth cert. When other man listed/ name change [ 31 Answers ]

When my daughter was born my ex was thought to be her biological father but found out otherwise at a later date. Everything was proven through paternity tests, but now my problem is I don't even know where to begin getting everything resolved. My ex's name is on the birth certificate and needs to...

Biological Father [ 3 Answers ]

I have been thinking about this for the past two years, hoping to never be rash about such a serious decision. After a long and painful thought process I have decided to go ahead with finding out who my biological father is. I'm not sure how interested I am in meeting him but I do feel that there...

Can a father loose custidy if his not the biological father? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a 5 year old with son with a girl he had a thing with. She loved him and therefor she got pregnant and told him the child was his. She put him trough the ringer cause she wanted to be with and she realized he was never going to be with her she signed her rights to the child away. Her...

Looking for my Biological Father [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what I have to do to find my father.

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

View more questions Search