Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inimeg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 12:59 AM
    Two Identical Modems
    I have two identical modems Intel 536 EP internal. I am trying to install them both on the same Pc under WinXP SP2. The first moden is set up and works properly but the second one is installed but when I try to use it the systems seems to have a problem to communicate with it. I already tried to disble the COM ports from the bios but with no success.

The modems need to be installed to handle two different fax lines in an electronic faxing system.

These are some details about the modem setup
    Modem 1: Location - PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 2, device 5, function 0)
    COM Port Number - COM1
    Memory Range - D0400000 - D07FFFFF
    IRQ - 17
    Modem 2: Location - PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 2, device 9, function 0)
    COM Port Number - COM2
    Memory Range - D0800000 - D08FFFFF
    IRQ - 19

What else can be done to solve this problem? Can anyone help me out please?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Why would you want two modems in the first place? Are you sure you can set the second to Com2? What type of mouse do you use?

Oct 16, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Hi,
    As I already said I need to install two modems as I have got two fax lines to be part of the electronic faxing system. I am using a PS/2 mouse so it should not be a problem using COM2. Also before I set the second modem to com2 it was using another Comport.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Ok, so the idea here is to increase the number of faxes you can send by using two lines each connected to a modem?

Hmmm, does your fax software support switching modems? The software needs to be able to select which modem it will use for a fax. I don't know of any software that does that (doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

Frankly, I think you might be better off using a service that will do broadcast faxing for you.

You do need to disable the onboard COM ports. And you need to make sure that you don't conflict (1 & 3 and 2 & 4 share the same interrupts).

Oct 16, 2006, 11:33 PM
    The idea is to install two fax line one on each modem. I have Win Fax Pro 10 which support more than one modem. The problem is not my software but with the windows configuration.
    I already disable the com ports from the bios.
    Also Windows Xp pro does not let me change IRQ settings for my devices.
    What else can be done?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two identical compressors, different wiring! [ 5 Answers ]

I have dual-zone York central air, two independent, but identical systems, 220V, with a dual pole contactor. While changing my blower fan on the outside condenser unit, I noticed that one unit’s compressor was wired different than the other! There are 5 wires coming from the compressor, all...

Identical modems on windows2000 server [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently purchased 2 identical US robotics modem and planning to install it on a windows 2000 server with SP3. As soon as I install the second modem OS picks up the drivers and ends up with a blue screen. I tried to swap slots on my intel motherboard just to see it I can make it...

View more questions Search