Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnLuckyHerman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
    What are pros and cons of voluntary giving up parental rights?
    My problem approximately 3 years ago my marriage of 7 to 8 years then hit a rough patch. We were stressed with money a new baby and other emotional problems. I regrettably gave in to the attention of another women who worked at the local convience store. Knowing I was married and what appeared to be no strings attached we met in the rear of an alley way and had sex. When the topic of a condom came up she assurred me it was not necessary because she could not get pregnant. I stupidily didn't think in the moment. We had sex again a week after. The guilt of my infedility and knowledge that it the sex did not give me the comfort I was seeking I stopped contact for several months till of course she came to me of news she was pregnant. I pleaded she abort the child for I was married two times over with 3 children and my wife had just given me news of another on the way. She wrongfully assurred me again that she didn't want to intefer in my marriage and she would ask for nothing. She claimed she would keep our moment a secret and knew the consequences of messing with a married man. As the months went on her pregnant and my wife preganat the other woman decided to befriend my wife. Going to the park, coming over planning parties together. My wife being good natured wanted to help this unwed single mother to be offering advice and used baby items as well as new to her new friend. The child was born and I received tow phone calls for diaper money and such. I did such soon the other woman was threatening to tell my wife if I didn't continue a sexual relationship. When I declined and vowed to be faithful she pettitioned me for paternity test and child support. Obviously my wife is aware now and deservingly upset of the double betrayal. We are living separately but actively involved in counseling as well as the children's activities. I hope to one day sav emy marriage and reunite with my family I did not appreciate properly at one time. I want nothing to do with this child and want to know how I can relenquish rights. The pros and cons and any other advice on the matter, thanks
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
    You can not relinquish your parental rights, unless you are clearing the path for adoption.

Time to suck it up, you have a huge burden to pay for your indiscretion probably eighteen years of it.
    lessjess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 01:09 PM
    "...i want nothing to do with this child and want to know how i can relenquish rights."
    THIS child is YOURS! I do not know what to tell you about parental rights, but whatever you do, do not take it out on the child. THIS child is half of YOU.
    kissme85 Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Aug 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Hope I'm not to late but you can petition the court to give up your parental rights!hopefully the child mother married and it will be the resposiblity of the step dad to support the child LOL! But I believe if you don't want part in that child's life you shouldn't be apart of that child's life. Especially if your going to fake liking the child but your actions shows different that hurts the most then when the child never had a relationship with the parent in the First place! :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kissme85 View Post
    hope im not to late but you can petition the court to give up your parental rights!hopefully the child mother married and it will be the resposiblity of the step dad to support the child LOL! but i believe if u dont want part in that childs life you shouldnt be apart of that childs life. Especially if your going to fake liking the child but your actions shows diffrent that hurts the most then when the child never had a relationship with the parent in the First place! :(
    What are you legal qualifications?

First, this is an old thread, so why are you posting on it?

Second, he can't give up his parental rights unless the child goes up for adoption. The step dad is not responsible to support the child. He didn't make the child. Why should he have to pay for it?

Third, he doesn't have to be a part of the child's life. That has nothing to do with parental rights. He does, however, have to pay for what his sperm helped create. It's not the child's fault that this man wants nothing to do with him, and no one can force him to be in the child's life, but they can and will make him pay for the child he created.

I suggest that you don't post unless you know what you're posting about, because your advice was not accurate in any way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 06:13 PM

Closed, some pre teen I guess has been watching too much law and order or Judge Judy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary Relinguish of Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father has just let me know that he wants to voluntarily give up his parental right to allow my husband to adopt her. If he states that in a letter and has it notarized will that be accepted in court?

Voluntary Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, I have an ex who is the father of my daughter who is now 4 years old. He has not paid child support, or sent anything to her in alomost 2 years. And we broke up 2 years ago. In any event I am begging him to sign over his rights to her and he finally agreed. He knows it's best cause he...

Voluntary terminating parental rights . [ 3 Answers ]

If my son father was willing to give up rights to my son , Would I need a lawyer to do so . Or could he just sign something and it be over with?

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights [ 4 Answers ]

In NY, can a non-spouse family member adopt a child with the consent of the other parent (consenting to relinquishing his/her rights)? What happens to support obligations in that case? If the remaining parent and/or new, adoptive relative-parent end up on welfare in the future, can the courts...

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 5 Answers ]

My 6 year old daughter was kidnapped by her biological mother 4 and a half years ago and taken to South Africa. After exhausting monumental international and domestic court battles, I was unable to afford to continue fight for my daughter and as a result lost her. I have also evoked the assistance...

View more questions Search