Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliusfrank Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 12:29 AM
    Autistic receives lg settlement- puts in siblings name and lives off Govt Aid.
    I have a Step-Relative that is autistic and resides in a group home setting in Atlanta, Georgia. All of her financial needs are met by the State and Government programs and cover her housing, food, medical needs, etc...
    Recently, all four of the siblings in our family - myself, my sister and both the autistic step sister and another step sister we scheduled to received large payouts in a probate. Right before the payout, the lawyer for the two step siblings informed us that the autistic sibling would be removing her name from the documents and did not want to receive any funds as they would jeopardize the financial assistance she receives from the State and Government. Instead of redistributing the funds three ways instead of four, the other step sibling stated that she would be accepting the autistics' portion and holding onto it for her in case of future needs.
    I feel that if she has access to the money, she should be required to inform the financial agencies that she now has the ability to pay for her own care. Does anyone know how to go about contacting Financial Aid agencies in Atlanta Georgia or who to contact to provide this information? I find it very unfair that someone else may be denied assistance due to limited funds or availability.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 02:35 AM

If she is going to receive money through the state for her care in perpetuum which would benefit her in the long run, and the money she receives through probate would not then, how does it benefit her. The probate money may not be enough to care for your needs. She refused the money on these grounds and I don't think you should jeopardize the situation. You would be doing her a disservice.

I don't know all the circumstances but surmise this is the case as you state it.

Ms tickle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should a corporation do if it receives a 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

What should a corporation do if it receives a 1099?

State Filing where husband lives in PA, wife lives in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

In 2008, my husband lived and worked in PA, while I worked in PA, but lived in NJ. We would like to file jointly for our federal taxes, but are not sure how to file for the state taxes. Should I file MFS for my NJ taxes, and he file MFS for his PA taxes or should we file using another option?

2 siblings won't agree to sell home owned jointly by 4 siblings [ 1 Answers ]

I am one of 4 siblings who co-own a lake home that we received from our mother. Two siblings need to sell their share of the property to raise cash, and two siblings refuse to sell the property or buy out the two who wish to sell. Do the two who need to sell their share of the property have any...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

View more questions Search