Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:24 PM
    World of warcraft and marriages.
    Hello :)

I have heard the saying that 'world of warcraft destroys marriages/relationships'

I myself have found this to be true... thankfully we both agreed to get rid of the game for a while and focus on us.

But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Typcially what will happen, is one spouse (husband/boy OR wife/girl, it goes both ways) will sit and be 'sucked into' the game. And the whole world around them turns off. Including their loved ones. They never leave the game. They never spend time together anymore. When the loved one NOT on the game suggests that the one on the game takes a break to spend time with them, the player gets upset, and usually this will cause a fight.

Any thoughts?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:19 PM

Yes. They're called WoW Widows. They even have a forum on this... as well as a basic online society... I even have friends who have dropped out of school due to WoW... ruined engagements... etc.

YouTube - Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO)

... that should help you.
    ewhitlock83 Posts: 38, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2009, 07:04 AM

I both agree and disagree. If you are a married (or dating) couple that was together BEFORE you found the game, and only one of you plays, OR both of you play but you don't play together, then yes, it probably would cause some problems. If you both play but play together (which I know MANY couples who do this, and it doesn't seem to affect them adversly) then no. Or, you can be like me, and meet your spouse in game, and not in reality, which makes the game the only way to spend time together.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:39 PM

Lol my sister in laws dad met his new wife on world of warcraft too :P
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:42 PM
    I've just heard that some therapists want blizzard to let them play (at a reduced cost) so that they can help people who are addicted from inside the game itself, and teach older (game wise) members to spot signs of the people who are addicted, and hence give help to these people.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:00 PM

That's a nice idea lol. But blizzard is greedy they won't do it :P
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:02 PM
    I thought the main problem would be that the people in game would just ignore the therapists, I mean it's a big world (of warcraft) and they could just stay away and won't actually receive any help this way
    twentytwo22 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 12:16 PM

My husband and I both played, for many years. It had such a negative impact on our relationship that we couldn't even see for such a long time.

If you allow yourself, it's too easy to become emotionally attached to lots of aspects of this game.

Being female, there were so many men to talk to constantly, and you can find yourself becoming "attracted" to people you hardly know.

We have just recently decided to quit playing for good, and to focus on us and put all that time and energy we wasted for years on a video game into something in which we may actually get concrete enjoyment and perhaps some real-life "achievement points"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing World of Warcraft onto Asus 900 [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a really hard time. I have two computers: ASUS 900: Running Windows XP Dell Studio 15: Running Windows Vista I am trying to install World Of Warcraft by sharing the disc through an ad-hoc network. I have both computers connected but am completely unsure where to go from here. I...

World Of Warcraft (for free) [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to find a way to get W.O.W. for free. Can anyone help me?:confused:

World of warcraft [ 6 Answers ]

I deleted my account from world of warcraft cause I had a new computer and it wouldent work on it so I deleted every trace of me from it. I then got a new computer which it would work on when I went to make a new account it wouldent work it said it had already been used once and cannot be used...

World of Warcraft Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since the last patch, my WoW game has been acting weird. Every once in a while icons for spells will disappear, words will look like barcodes, items will have the wrong or no picture, and certain objects will turn black with multicolored spots. Also, every time I try to get into the...

View more questions Search