Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inquiringperson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Grants available for felons
    I need help in finding information about available grants for felons. Everyone talks about them but no one and I mean no one can tell me anything about them. Please advise
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:27 PM

Hello person:

There are NO grants for felons... There are grants that felons AREN'T excluded from, but that's all.

Think about it. Criminals are in repute. Society wants to punish them and they DO. What sense does it make to punish them and then when you're done, give them money? Well, it makes no sense at all. That's why there aren't any grants for felons.

excon
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 07:43 AM

Everyone talks about the Loch Ness Monster too... and you are more likely to find Nessie than a grant specifically for felons.
    Are_you_with_me Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello person:

There are NO grants for felons... There are grants that felons AREN'T excluded from, but that's all.

Think about it. Criminals are in repute. Society wants to punish them and they DO. What sense does it make to punish them and then when you're done, give them money? Well, it makes no sense at all. That's why there aren't any grants for felons.

excon
    Hello Excon!
    What do you personally think about felons? Is it just a title for the world most heavy weighted harden criminals in the world? Can society even open there eyes and see that a so call felon can be a doctor or person of importance. You know I was just thinking what really makes a felon a felon. Everyone did some type of wrong in their life. People just can’t help to think about themselves and never realize they are their own enemy and not felons.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Are_you_with_me View Post
    What do you personally think about felons?
    Hello again, Are:

I think some felons are wonderful people. I are one. Others, not so much.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:04 AM

Felon is either something you are or you are not. You can't be "sort of a felon". You have either been convicted of a felony or you haven't.

SO its pretty cut and dry what makes one a felon.

Sure - there are degrees of felon - much like there are degrees of punishment for such felonies. And then society views felony degrees differently.

For instance, vehicular manslaughter is the same degree of felony as drug trafficking... but they are viewed very differently. First degree murder and sexual assault against a child under 12 are also the same degree (according to the law... )

But in the end, a felony is a felony and a felon is a felon. But people are who they are and a felony does not automatically condemn them.

Jul 10, 2009, 09:10 AM

A felon is a felon but what is so ashamed about this is that you never realize how hard things are until you experience it. People want to rule out felons because they don't realize what they are doing. It is a trend. They are judging all felons the same and but could never think that one day that felon could be there child, grandchild, friend or relative. For example we waste tons of food daily or take freedom for granted until we see people in other countries starving or in slavery. I think some people are selfish and don't want to deal with issues that don't concern them. Overall in order for felons to really have a chance in life they will have to come together and express themselves to society. I am a felon and only a first timer. I did not lead a life of crime I was with the wrong people and everything else is history. But through all this I decided to change my life and Go to College and get a degree with honors and played sports with honors. I am still young but time is ticking. All that I accomplish I still cannot get a job, not even the lowest job. I think I deserved better in life just as other felons who made a change in their life. For some reason they don't see it that way and now I am struggling in life with a family and don't know what the future may holds. The only thing that is keeping me alive is GOD! I want to come together with other felons and fight for a chance for others. If we look at our history people have done this man and women that wanted to make a change and stuck their neck out and stood for what they believe in. Are You With Me?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 09:43 AM

I am not with you. The recidivism rate for felons, according to one study (Bureau of Justice Statistics Reentry Trends in the U.S.: Recidivism) is near 2/3rds.

Why risk hiring someone that potentially might recommit a felony when there are perfectly qualified people that are not 67% likely to be incarcerated.
    felon mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 09:57 AM
    I am with you Are_you_with_me. Let me know if there is anything that you can think of that we can do to help each other. I'd be glad to do anything I can because I am in the same boat as you are. I am a felon mother and the only reason the I took the plea is because I have two small children that need me. My son told me that if I had to go to jail he would understand because I was standing up for what I knew was right but I still couldn't do tha to them. For all of you that think felons are just plain felons and that it doesn't make a difference, I hope you that are never faced with a decision to have to choose to fight for what you know is right or take a plea just so you can be with your family and loved ones. We are not all bad people as most of you think we are. We are just regular people and have had things happen to us in our lives that have put us in the situation that we are in. I personally was set up by a state agency and since state employees don't make much money I had to go woth a public defender. When I accepted the plea, the judge commended me on wanting to be there for my family and did not judge me. He even thought that I should have continued to fight but I had had enough. So for those of you that condemn us felons, maybe you should ake a look at your life and hope that nothing ever happens to you because one small thing could change you life and you could be a one of us. You really should watch how you talk about people.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by felon mom View Post
    You really should watch how you talk about people.
    Hello felon mom:

Most people talk about felons like they do, because felons don't talk about themselves that way. Most of them say they're innocent victims instead of perpetrators. Most of them say they were set up. Most of 'em didn't do it. That's what you're saying, and people don't like it.

Now, I don't know if you DID what you were convicted of. HERE is NOT the place to plead your innocence. Court was. If you were convicted it's because you did it, or you didn't know how to fight it. MOST people give up because they DID it. MOST people NEVER would admit to something they didn't do. MOST public defenders are GOOD lawyers who WILL fight for their client when there is a good fight to be had...

Nope. You're not helping the felons cause here.

excon

Aug 23, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I am not with you. The recidivism rate for felons, according to one study (Bureau of Justice Statistics Reentry Trends in the U.S.: Recidivism) is near 2/3rds.

Why risk hiring someone that potentially might recommit a felony when there are perfectly qualified people that are not 67% likely to be incarcerated.
    Statistics is not GOD! There is a way that seems right unto men but that way is to destruction!
    You can take your statistics and voice your opinion but one day you will have to answer to the all mighty as well as us. I just pray that he do not judge you as you are judging us.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Statistics is not GOD! Their is a way that seems right unto men but that way is to destruction!
    You can take your statistics and voice your opinion but one day you will have to answer to the all mighty as well as us. I just pray that he do not judge you as you are judging us.
    God has nothing to do with laws. I am not judging you... I am citing FACT.

As for your god... that's between he and I.

Aug 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inquiringperson View Post
    I need help in finding information about available grants for felons. Everyone talks about them but no one and I mean no one can tell me anything about them. please advise

There are no grants for felons as of now. You can get a grant if you go to college but only a certain amount. Sorry about the misconception but grants are for non profit organizations. Don't feed into those programs about free money. The only money that is free is the money you are giving them.

Aug 23, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by felon mom View Post
    I am with you Are_you_with_me. Let me know if there is anything that you can think of that we can do to help each other. I'd be glad to do anything I can because I am in the same boat as you are. I am a felon mother and the only reason the I took the plea is because I have two small children that need me. My son told me that if I had to go to jail he would understand because I was standing up for what I knew was right but I still couldn't do tha to them. For all of you that think felons are just plain felons and that it doesn't make a difference, I hope you that are never faced with a decision to have to choose to fight for what you know is right or take a plea just so you can be with your family and loved ones. We are not all bad people as most of you think we are. We are just regular people and have had things happen to us in our lives that have put us in the situation that we are in. I personally was set up by a state agency and since state employees don't make much money I had to go woth a public defender. When I accepted the plea, the judge commended me on wanting to be there for my family and did not judge me. He even thought that I should have continued to fight but I had had enought. So for those of you that condemn us felons, maybe you should ake a look at your life and hope that nothing ever happens to you because one small thing could change you life and you could be a one of us. You really should watch how you talk about people.
    Thanks, I am in the process of trying to do something very important. I will let you know later how things go through and what to do. Keep in touch.

Aug 23, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    God has nothing to do with laws. I am not judging you... I am citing FACT.

As for your god... thats between he and I.
    If God has nothing to do with laws. Why do it states God on a dollar and why do they make you confess to tell the truth using a bible in court. See people have forgotten that God has been in this since the beginning. Laws where made in accordance of GOD laws. Through time people change them for their likening. IF you really study statistics help that. Statistics is what they call evidence. Numbers don't mean nothing when it comes to judging someone heart. I just want you to know if you really believe in GOD you will see the world is a mess and man will do the inevitable.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 04:21 PM
    If God has nothing to do with laws. Why do it states God on a dollar and why do they make you confess to tell the truth using a bible in court. See people have forgotten that God has been in this since the beginning. Laws where made in accordance of GOD laws. Through time people change them for their likening. IF you really study statistics help that. Statistics is what they call evidence. Numbers don't mean nothing when it comes to judging someone heart. I just want you to know if you really believe in GOD you will see the world is a mess and man will do the inevitable.
    I don't care what is in someone's heart. You cannot prove faith. I care what is in someone's actions.

And I don't recall saying I believe in god.
    Erica_26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 04:29 PM
    First of all how can you judge someone on there past an not knowing what the h*ll you talking about or know the person that has been convited.I hate some people that think they know you an the don't know at all! You don't know what the person has been through or had to do at all. Some folks kill me with that per judging . You don't know how a person is until you get to know them they may even turn out to be you best friend you never know an how you know that the person deserve the charge at all you don't know an on top of that you was not there
    RUCRAZY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 12:06 PM
    Well, I have received over 15,000.00 in grants since my release from prison. You have to look, apply, research, and work very hard at the grant opportunities. You may find them through local churches,gencies, cities or county funds, federal government grants.

What you must realize is that having a criminal record requires you to go the extra mile. Clean houses, drive a taxi, care for the ill or elderly, clip coupns, and go to your church or any church for assistance. Others may not forgive, but God does. Best of luck to you all.
    Edawg22984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
    This is in response to excon comment I agree there are no grants for felons> however I would disagree that it makes no sense to not have them. Grant is to help people start business go to school etc etc and someon that is punished for a crime has therefore paid (or supposed) to have paid retribution for that offence. He then is punished after and denied employment, housing and other forms of biasness. Therefore why shouldn't the govermnet provide grants to someone that is a minority and hindered for the rest of there lifes Grants are for the future not the past. I would argue that felons deserve more opportunities to grants then even the regular joe that has plenty of option in life. Not to say that we are not responsible for our actions but we also should not have to be denied the pursuit of happiness the rest of our lives for a mistake yrs in the past.
    Thanks Erik

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Grants for felons [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get information about getting grants for school for convicted felons.

Grants for felons [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a grant for college being a felon for the state of Ohio

Grants for felons [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is any federal or state funding in Arkansas for convicted felons to start a small business? I would like to open a small pet store and don't know where to start on grants or loans someone please help me. Thank-you.

Grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I need info. On student grants for convicted felons returning to school

View more questions Search