Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Traci M Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Floor Drain Issue
    Hi, I have a question and am in need of help! Please forgive my ignorance or terminology.

I live in a home built in the mid-60s. There is a floor drain in the basement laundry room underneath the laundry tubs. It has always backed up occasionally since I've lived here. It's gotten much worse the last two years.

My ex-husband showed me how to use a clog-buster type of thing (attached to the end of a garden hose) to 'flush water through and unclog anything'. He showed me that it doesn't go straight down into the drain but into a little pipe thing on the side of the drain. Does that make sense? He said it goes underneath the floor and into the pipes of an adjoining bathroom.? He is not the master plumber - so I'm just checking here.

Anyway, I did the clog-buster thing and only 1/2 the rubber clog-buster came back out when I pulled the hose out. The next load of laundry proved the "clearing" did nothing.

Please help!
    What next? :confused:
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Oct 16, 2006, 10:55 PM
    Sounds like you need a plumber with a snake. Check out this article I wrote with a picture of a cleanout. Sounds like it may help. http://www.plumbinglessons.com/sup/cloggeddrain.htm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Traci M
    Hi, I have a question and am in need of help! Please forgive my ignorance or terminology.

I live in a home built in the mid-60s. There is a floor drain in the basement laundry room underneath the laundry tubs. It has always backed up occasionally since I've lived here. It's gotten much worse the last two years.

My ex-husband showed me how to use a clog-buster type of thing (attached to the end of a garden hose) to 'flush water thru and unclog anything'. He showed me that it doesn't go straight down into the drain but into a little pipe thing on the side of the drain. Does that make sense? He said it goes underneath the floor and into the pipes of an adjoining bathroom. ???? He is not the master plumber - so I'm just checking here.

Anyway, I did the clog-buster thing and only 1/2 the rubber clog-buster came back out when I pulled the hose out. The next load of laundry proved the "clearing" did nothing.

Please help!
    What next? :confused:
    Hi Traci,
    Your exhubby was correct.
    That little pipe thingy in the floor drain is called a cleanout,(see image). You may have to magnify the image. Clog busters work best when there is a total blockage. You will have to send a snake down the cleanout to clear the drain line. Darrel hit the nail on the head when he said,"Sounds like you need a plumber with a snake." good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old bathtub drain issue [ 3 Answers ]

My bathtub drain has gone from being sluggish to taking hours to drain completely. (Luckily, I live alone!) I've used Drano. I've snaked it, and the snake is catching on what I assume used to be a part of an old drain stopper mechanism inside. Currently, there's no drain stopper in the tub. The...

Toilet and Shower Drain Issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved into a brand new house 6 weeks ago. Over the last two weeks I have been having intermittent problems with the shower drain and the toilet next to it. The toilet will sometimes fill up with water whilst flushing and take quite a whil to go down to normal level. Also sometimes...

Shower Drain Issue [ 1 Answers ]

I need a real creative mind for this one. I bought a condo with an old custom build corner shower. I found a neoangle shower that we liked and demo'd the old. There were two concrete beds, one poured level with the subfloor and then one that was shaped with the proper drop, etc. I decided to...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search