Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apurva Rastogi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Chess Board
    2 white squares are chosen such that they are not in same square and same column.how many such squares are formed ?:confused:
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 8, 2009, 08:04 PM

I'm not sure but I think 16.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 05:47 AM

Your question is not very clear - I suggest you retype it precisely as the problem was given to you. For now I will assume that what you meant to ask is this:

Two white squares are chosen such that they are not in the same row or same column. How many ways can such squares be chosen?

To solve this, first consider how many ways the first square can be chosen - there are 32 white squares on a chess board, so you have 32 choices for the first white square. Once you have picked that first square, how many remaining white squares can you choose from that are not in the same row or column? If you look at a chess board you will see that there are 3 other white squars in the same row, and 3 in the same column, for a total of 6 squares that are unavailable. You're also not allowed to pick the original square either, so that's 7 that are not allowed. Which means there are 32-7 = 25 squares to choose from for the second square. So now, can you work out how many total combinations there are for selecting the two white squares?
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jul 27, 2009, 02:05 PM

Wait... so don't really understand this myself, so it's like Ebaines like, 25*24*23*22*21*20*19 and so on??
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 02:18 PM

If I'm understanding the question properly then 49 I think , I'm a bit tired so my math might be off :D
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 02:30 PM

You have 32 white squares to choose from for the first choice, and for any one of those you have 25 remaining white squares that are not in the same row or column. Hence total number of ways to select two white squares that are not in the same row or coumns is 32*25 = 800.

However, since the OP never clarified what the question is, this is just conjecture.

Albear or glassdoc - what is your understanding of the problem? How did you get 16?
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 02:40 PM

I went by how many differentsquares of 2x2 can you make with two diagonally touching white squares
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 02:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    i went by how many differentsquares of 2x2 can you make with two diagonally touching white squares
    Thanks, but that would give 7 x 7 = 49 squares. And nothing in the original post specifies 2 x 2 squares. It's impossible to agree on an answer if we can't agree on the question!
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 03:05 PM

yea I canged my answer after some hasty recalculationg :), yea I know it doesn't say 2x2 squares, but that's what I took it to mean by 'forming squares of 2 whites connecting but not in the same question'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to start a Chess Club? [ 21 Answers ]

:cool: :rolleyes: Hi, I am very fond of playing chess and would like to start a club where others who share the same passion can get together and play in real life (not over the internet). I live in India and am not a professional Chess player, only play it for its beauty and a hobby. I'm sure that...

Chess board probability [ 3 Answers ]

On a chessboard one white square is chosen at random . In how manyways , can a black square be chosen so that it doesnot lie in the same row as white square.

Chocolate chess pie [ 2 Answers ]

I am from NY and my girlfriend is from NC. I am a pretty good baker and I told her grandmother I would bake her any pie for Thanksgiving (figuring she would say apple or pumpkin maybe pecan). She said chocolate chess pie. This is not a pie I am familiar with (although I did not let her know). I...

Chess-geek FTW [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, is there a website where grandmasters can analyze your games for free?

View more questions Search