Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdeppeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Absentee landlords
    Does a landlord have the right to leave his property for the winter months with no one taking care of his property? The apartment is being lived in also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
    A landlord has an obligation to maintain the property. But he doesn't have to be on site to do so. As long as the tenant(s) have a contact number to report problems to, then there shouldn't be a problem.

How do you know the landlord hasn't made provisions for taking care of the property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 08:13 PM
    While I talk a lot about my rentals, it has been several years since I picked up a paint brush or a wrench personally.

The tenant calls and normally leaves me a message, I get it, and then I call someone to go over and fix the problem.

I could manage them from 10 miles or 500 miles, Now personally I drive by each of mine at least twice a week and may walk up to the door is something does not "look" right. ( I get a lot of people who move out in the middle of the night type of thing)

So your landlord may be willing to merely call a service person to come do something if there is any need.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 16, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kdeppeler
    Does a landlord have the right to leave his property for the winter months with no one taking care of his property? The apartment is being lived in also.
    Yes - some state L-T statutes, like Hawaii, require that the landlord name an "agent" if they relocate and that agent can be a friend, etc - not necessarily a RE agent.

With cel phones, e-mail and text messaging, most landlords can now travel and relocate and still be in contact with their residents.

You can always contact your landlord via snail mail at the address listed on the tax records for the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Marijuana and landlords [ 16 Answers ]

Hello: For what it’s worth, I live in Seattle. I have a prescription for marijuana. In a previous rental, I had a legal medical marijuana garden, and I had a big red sign on the door stating so. While I was away for a weekend, my landlord paid me a visit. He tore down the sign and called the...

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

Tennants / landlords questions [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I go to get the answers to real estate questions with respect to tennants / landlords in the states of Ohio, PA, South Carolina, AL, TN, and North Carolina?

Landlords wife don't have death certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I spoke with my landlords wife she told me he killed himself, he jump off a bridge, and they can't find the body. So section 8 said that they cannot put rent payments in her name, everything is in his name. So I figure that at some point they will stop rent payments because he's deceased. I really...

View more questions Search