Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gopinath Mukund Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 11:57 PM
    What is the right age for a kid to go to school?
    My son is now 2-1/2 years old and has now started talking few words. He can identify colours, animals and toys. Is it the right time for him to attend a pre-school/play school.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:09 AM
    We have Nursery and baby Nursery for kids where I am.
    21/2 yr old children do attend baby nursery and 31/2 attend Nursery.

More than following the norm I think a parent must decide if they are ready to send their child when they are as young as two or three. If you are able to provide a stimulating environment at home at this age, it works out well if you start school after they are three years old.

Some children take well to new environments,while others may find it hard to adjust in a classroom/playschool.

Find out available options in your area and after discussing it with the child carers at these centers,choose the best for your child.
    moshimaggie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Yes but when he gets 5 send him to kindergarten
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:53 PM
    I had the same concern. My town has pre-k, junior kindergarten and kindergarten. Made no sense to me. But I enrolled my son in pre-k and I was very happy for that choice. He made friends early and these are the friends he started the full day kindergarten with. Also he was able to make friends that we continured to have play dates with when school wasn't in session. Basically I noticed the pre-k set up his routine for him and what to expect and how to listen to others and follow classroom rules. He loved it and it saved us daycare cost also.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 12:58 PM

It all depends on the child. If he's potty trained, talking, then I'd say go for it.

Early experience in this type of setting does help once they start school. Also, if there are any problems (speech problems, learning problems) they are often identified in pre-k and you can start the search for support before they go into a school type setting. :)
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
    I used to take my son to a daycare a couple of hours a week for socialization. I found a daycare that also did pre-school and followed a curriculum for each class. My son wasn't fully potty trained at the time, but I found that because he didn't socialize with other children his age this was a good experience to help prepare him for school, he made friends and learned things.

Most pre-schools and kindergartens will give you a list of the things your child learns through their curriculum, but they also ask that your child be able to do a few things prior to school. Curriculum Standards for Preschool | Typical Course Study for Preschool | Learning Standards for Preschool This list is for a standard pre-school. I suggest you contact the local school you want your child to eventually attend and ask them about their requirements for attending school. It sometimes differs from school to school. Having said that, I still highly suggest socializing your child, through friends or a couple of hours in a playcare a week or even monthly. It can help you both adjust when school finally does come. Good Luck!
    sshansshan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 02:01 AM

I will say 5 yrs old !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

School grant to go back to school [ 3 Answers ]

I am a single 48 yr old lady and I don't have mean to just go back to school but I work as a nursing asst but would like to know how to go back to school is there any grants that will help me do so?

Is is a poll for any middle school or high school kids about drugs? [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of drugs are being sold at your schools? How easy is it to get? Where are you from? This is a seriouse question I'm curiouse to no if it matters where you are from or if all schools are alike...

If I go school in a different town and that town secedes can I go to school there? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently live in a town, but attend school in another town, and the town that I go to school in secedes from the county, can I still go to school there? It's a public school. I live in Cook county, and 5 towns are trying to secede from it. My school is in that list, however, where I live is...

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

View more questions Search