Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jul 7, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Don't read if easyily offended and questioning my religion
    I was born a catholic and rased in a catholic schools but I also had a break were I went to some grades in public and I got to a public high school now anyway, I don't want to step on and spit on anybodys religion I'm just wondering cause if I bring this up to my family they will freak I think(the more probable outcome) I THINK I'm atheist I don't believe in god or jesus for the most part and I think its was just some REALLY good writer that came up with the bible but I also wonder if it is at all true because if had things happen in my life were I don't think there is a god at all. But I am very spiritual but not very religious so I know I didn't give a question really so now I'm asking is it horrible to be kind of believe in somestuff and be kind of atheist? And who would you think I could talk to about this (my church is very strict and I don't want to go to them my family is REALLY hardcore about it so there out and relitives on in the picture) and any feed back on this would be nice and VERY apreciated, thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 11:47 PM

I was born to a Lutheran minister and his wife, and totally understand what you are saying. Throughout my life, I've struggled with faith, with beliefs, often wondering what do I believe, is what I believe worth believing, and why am I bothering to believe anything. I graduated from a Christian college and then left the church about two years later. It wasn't until I had kids that I started going back to church, because I wanted my kids to have the same moral foundation that I had gotten.

I was very involved in church for years, but now that my kids are adults and because I've done a lot of reading and thinking, I'm not so sure that a structured religious life, belonging to a church, is all that important. I'm not an atheist or agnostic; I do believe that God is very involved in my life in all sorts of ways. I just don't want to put Him in a little box and make Him too small.

I still read challenging books and articles, I talk with lots of people of all different faiths and religions, and I still do a lot of thinking especially about those important questions: Where did I come from? Why am I alive? What will happen after I die? Will I ever see my deceased loved ones again?

A Christian author once said, "Doubt is the ants in the pants of faith." I'll continue to doubt and question and grow as a human being. In the final analysis, I think love is the reason we are put on this earth -- to love and to be loved in all sorts of ways by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons.
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Jul 8, 2009, 12:22 AM

Well...
    Michael Jackson' gone!
    Horrible things were said about him but his daughter said '' he is the best father, I love him so much''.
    You hear and will always hear many things about God, but no one knows God better than His children.
    I believe Jackson's daughter, I believe God's children when they both say that their father is the best.
    I testify that my Father is the best.
    Like Paris Jackson I say to you ''my Father is the best, I love Him so much!''
    I cried thinking that those children have to live without their father, and I prayed now that their earthly father is gone, their Heavenly Father will take care of them 'cause He will never be gone.
    You don't have to live without your Father!No one can take Him away from you.
    Don't turn your back on Him!
    Jackson's children know in their heart the goodness of their father, they don't have to read about him on the tabloids or watch TV... they know because they lived with him.
    Live with Him, let Him prove Himself to you.
    Why willingly become an orphan?
    He is not dead, He wants you to live with Him!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 12:41 AM

I believe in God, but not the bible. I don't got to church, to me it's all nonsense. It's one mans opinon of a man written book. Again, that's my opinion.

You obviously are questioning things, but you're not really looking for the answers.

Right now you feel trapped because you're parents make the decisions for you, but one day you will have to find your own path. Why not start looking for that path now?

Read up on other beliefs, other religions. Ask questions here, there are many different people on this site with many different beliefs. Maybe you'll find something that fits.

Be forewarned, there are always the people out there that will preach, will tell you that their way is the only way, but keeping your mind open to all opinions may help you find what you're looking for.

I don't think you're an atheist, simply because of what you wrote in your post. Personally, I hate labels. If someone where to define my beliefs, the best definition would be that of a Deist, but I don't fit neatly into any box.

So ask, listen to all answers, then decide what's best for you. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:07 AM

You can be spiritual and believe in God but be against religion. Start reading the Bible and looking up things about the Bible like Bible studies and Bible topics on the internet and see what makes sense and speaks to you and what doesn't.
    Try checking out some other churches when you get out on your own when you are older.
    Just because you don't feel that one religion is the answer doesn't mean God does not exist.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:17 AM

I'm not sure how you can kind of be an atheist. It sounds like you are searching for the truth... does God really exsist? Right now you are unsure. I don't think anything is wrong with questioning something that you have been taught. A relationship with the Lord Jesus can't be just about what you have been taught... it is all about Faith. I would suggest that you leave what you have been taught by the church behind... open your Bible to the Gospel of John and read it. Only before you do ask the Father ( if he does exsist) to show you that he does. For without Faith it is impossible to please him. It doesn't matter what the church thinks about you... or your family.. this is YOUR journey and YOUR decision.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:17 AM

Wow, I had no idea others thought like me. I guess, partially, because I don't talk openly about religion. I believe in God, still pray at night before I go to bed, thankful for family, friends, and all the things I have. I'm spiritual, but I don't go to church. I think that a person can believe in God and have their own personal relationship with him without getting into organized religion. I guess I'm not into opinions being forced on me, but I've had way too many things happen in my life to not lose faith.
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2009, 05:23 PM

I would first like to thank you for the posts I now know I'm not atheist I'm just thirsting for truth. Which definitely makes me feel better. I think I believe in a person that watches over us but I don't think I'm catholic and believe in the stories in the bible and wondergirl I also agree what you do with your children that is a MAJOR part in why my parents made me go to catholic things is to learn true values and get a better personality. I know for sure I'm not very religious but very spiritual.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macman11393 View Post
    i would first like to thank you for the posts i now know im not atheist i'm just thirsting for truth. which definitely makes me feel better. i think i believe in a person that watches over us but i don't think i'm catholic and believe in the stories in the bible and wondergirl i also agree what you do with your children that is a MAJOR part in why my parents made me go to catholic things is to learn true values and get a better personality. i know for sure im not very religious but very spiritual.
    The main thing is, talk to lots of people -- Hindus, Buddhists, Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, atheists, agnostics, wiccans, Muslims -- and read, read, read! Meanwhile, keep an open mind.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 06:18 PM

Part of the trouble is that people expect things to be good for them when they accept Christ and are a Christian, I have no idea where people get that idea. We are told we will be hated for our faith, we will be despised, and even killed.

How many of the 12 that followed Jesus retired rich to that yacht on the red sea?

There are many ways to know God and Jesus,
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Part of the trouble is that people expect things to be good for them when they accept Christ and are a Christian, I have no idea where people get that idea. We are told we will be hated for our faith, we will be despised, and even killed.

How many of the 12 that followed Jesus retired rich to that yacht on the red sea ??

There are many ways to know God and Jesus,
    Exactly what I was saying in another post. People say God is good and God doesn't want his people to suffer etc... but look at the martyrs and missionaries for God as well as the people who suffered in the holocaust. Ann Frank and Cory Ten Boom weren't asking God for a big screen TV so they could watch the newest episode of survivor.
    People want to see God as a genie that grants them their wishes
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macman11393 View Post
    I was born a catholic and rased in a catholic schools but i also had a break were i went to some grades in public and i got to a public highschool now anyways, i dont want to step on and spit on anybodys religion im just wondering cause if i bring this up to my family they will freak i think(the more probable outcome) i THINK im atheist i dont believe in god or jesus for the most part and i think its was just some REALLY good writer that came up with the bible but i also wonder if it is at all true because if had things happen in my life were i dont think there is a god at all. but i am very spiritual but not very religious so i know i didnt give a question really so now im asking is it horrible to be kinda belive in somestuff and be kinda atheist? and who would you think i could talk to about this (my church is very strict and i dont want to go to them my family is REALLY hardcore about it so there out and relitives on in the picture) and any feed back on this would be nice and VERY apreciated, thank you
    Hello Macman,

How are you doing now? I know you expected not good responses from what you posted, but now I have a feeling that you know your not alone. I was brought up Catholic and still am Catholic. Yet there are many things that I question. Also I feel that parents who force, or hardcore about there religion actually can push people further away from God, which is going against what God wants in my opinion. As others have said. You can be against religion or not believe in religion and still be SPIRITUAL and still believe in God.

Many people think that there way is the right way. You need to do your own personal search for God and develop your own personal relationship with God without anybody telling you which way to go. We all have our own paths to walk.

I hope that your mind is at ease and no matter what your family says or thinks you need to search things out for yourself. You need to be able to question everything that you want to without feeling any guilt or pressure from anybody or yourself.

Take care of yourself.

Joe
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Mac,
    I too was raised and confirmed, in the Catholic Church. I now am going to a Methodist Church. We actually found out they had a good program for our kids, so we gave it a try. A friend of mine once told me: "It doesn't matter where you eat, as long as you get fed". I believe this is true. You see, I wasn't really getting what I was needing at the time. Mass seemed like it was the same, the priest was really old and... well dry with his sermons.( sign of the cross for judging a padre) At our new church, we really get involved with the programs and the kids love it. Our pastor is good, open, and pretty up to date with his teachings and analogies. As far as you not believing, that's something you've got to work on ( if that's what you want). You said some bad things happened that made you agnostic. As there is dark and light , hot and cold, wet and dry, tall and short, ( you get it ) , there has to be good and bad. GOD and the devil. No one can explain why, what, where, when, but me personally , I believe. I'm not sure I believe EVERYTHING as far as the Bible goes. And I have questions about evolution, etc. But I simply CHOOSE to believe.

Good luck to you on your search for answers.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The main thing is, talk to lots of people -- Hindus, Buddhists, Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, atheists, agnostics, wiccans, Muslims -- and read, read, read! Meanwhile, keep an open mind.
    WG,

Why do you think he or she needs to talk to a lot of people. People don't have the answers... GOD does. Unfortunately anything outside of the Bible is man's thoughts. Please... they have never had an original thought yet.

As a Christian, on a Christian board I believe the answer is IN the Bible. I believe with all of my heart if someone wants to find God... they need to read his written word. Not a religion, not a denomination... just the plain word of God. It is amazing. The Lord says to search for him with all of your heart and you will find him. The Bible also says... Thy word is TRUTH... now why would you send someone all over the place reading a bunch of thoughts written by man to look for truth?

I completely, totally, utterly disagree with WG. If you want to find God... Read His written word and ask HIM to show you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    WG,

Why do you think he or she needs to talk to a lot of people. People don't have the answers.
    Did I say people have the answers? NO.
    Do you have the answers? It seems so. And it scares me that someone is to read the Bible and decide for himself what anything means. Have I read the Bible? Many times? Have I studied the Bible alone and with others? Yes, for over 50 years. Do I have all the answers? No. Is God at work in my life? Yes, through all the people I deal with each day--the Muslims, the Buddhists, the wiccans, the Catholics, the Lutherans, the atheists, the agnostics, and even the Baptists, Methodists, and the Hindus--especially the Hindus because they make fantastic samosas and a more gentle people I will never meet.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:19 PM
    WG,

Why do you think he or she needs to talk to a lot of people. People don't have the answers....GOD does. Unfortunately anything outside of the Bible is man's thoughts. Please....they have never had an original thought yet.

As a Christian, on a Christian board I believe the answer is IN the Bible. I believe with all of my heart if someone wants to find God...they need to read his written word. Not a religion, not a denomination...just the plain word of God. It is amazing. The Lord says to search for him with all of your heart and you will find him. The Bible also says...Thy word is TRUTH...now why would you send someone all over the place reading a bunch of thoughts written by man to look for truth?

I completely, totally, utterly disagree with WG. If you want to find God...Read His written word and ask HIM to show you.
    God's truth, spirit is within ourselves. Written in our soul. I personally believe God created us all. Gods work could not all fit in a book. We are all pieces of the puzzle. I think it is perfect idea for this person to talk with many different people. Each person has their own unique views and thoughts and gifts to share. God is found in others as well. So your wrong. Anything outside of the bible is mans thoughts? Your wrong. Our thoughts come from God, so explain that one please.

This is not meant to be a debate or preaching to somebody. This is to share our thoughts with a man that is searching and questioning things. If you look in the bible. Since your using that as an example. We are encouraged to search, encouraged to question. Can not force anything on anybody.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:27 PM

Jesushelper,

I'm wrong? Sorry, I don't think so. Name one time the Lord Jesus told ANYONE to go and read a bunch of articles on idol worship and then to decide for themselves whether it was Godly.

I'm happy to explain that one( original thoughts)... God says our thoughts are NOT his thoughts... in other words... He KNOWS more... had a couple more original ones. You know.. being the creator and all.

I like you Jesushelper but as a Christian I couldn't tell anyone to go anywhere but the word of God. Sorry Guess I am a little more black and white.. :)

Also, show me the scripture that GOD's spirit is within us all? That is interesting...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 07:29 PM
    WG,

Why do you think he or she needs to talk to a lot of people.
    Because I meet God in each of those people every day. I get the opportunity to not only see His love in their faces but share His love with each of them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did I say people have the answers? NO.
    Do you have the answers? It seems so. And it scares me that someone is to read the Bible and decide for himself what anything means. Have I read the Bible? Many times? Have I studied the Bible alone and with others? Yes, for over 50 years. Do I have all the answers? No. Is God at work in my life? Yes, through all the people I deal with each day--the Muslims, the Buddhists, the wiccans, the Catholics, the Lutherans, the atheists, the agnostics, and even the Baptists, Methodists, and the Hindus--especially the Hindus because they make fantastic samosas and a more gentle people I will never meet.
    WG,

Never said you had the answers or accused you saying so. I just think for ME as a Christian, I couldn't lead anyone anywhere but to the TRUTH... God word IS TRUTH.

Sorry guys, I guess I ruffled a few feathers.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 07:33 PM
    WG,

never said you had the answers or accused you saying so. I just think for ME as a Christian, i couldn't lead anyone anywhere but to the TRUTH....God word IS TRUTH.

Sorry guys, i guess i ruffled a few feathers.
    You scolded me that THOSE people don't have the answers. Do you even know the question, ClassyT?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you don't like long.then don't read or awnser. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey my name is Jhaunt'e... and I need help... well here goes lol... im a 16 yr old junior and this 14 yr old freshmen named Raven started talking early 2008... well it got a little farther along and we were on the bus on the way 2 school and I gave her a note that said I like you (I was shy back...

Don't ever read to kill a mockingbird it is the most boring book ever! [ 6 Answers ]

I hate that book sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!! :mad:

Questioning my sexuality [ 5 Answers ]

First of all, I am 32 years old and I have been with guys, (even married) mainly because it's the "right thing" to do and because it's the "norm." I have been with one woman, and kissed a few others. I will catch myself finding skinamax (cinemax) soft core porn on hoping to see two girls...

View more questions Search