Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magpower Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Install a window
    I am installing a new window in the basement. The window is 37" high by 45"long. Can I getv away with using 4" angled iron above the window on both sides. Or must I install a header? Thanks
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 09:58 PM

What is thickness of angle iron?

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 12:00 AM

Which side of the basement is the window in an end wall ?

How many floors above it?

Code is all windows must have a header. Normally that's a concrete lintels or doubled up 2by 8s or 10s or 12s
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:10 AM

Lintels are made of steel angle iron and used to transfer down weight to sides of opening.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 05:45 PM

Lintels are made of steel angle iron and used to transfer down weight to sides of opening
    Angel irons are not considered lintels.

Actually the sense of the word lintel"is a "block" object over and opening. If you call the masonry supply house and order a lintel you won't get an angle iron. You will get a concrete lintel.

A steel beam can be considered a "lintel" as the word is used, has to be a block shape which an angel iron is not.

Angel irons are more designed for lighter loads such as brick veneer over a window opening. It only carry's the brick above it. And that load is only in a step arch or if it terminates towards a soffit that small area in height is a very light load.

Angel irons are rarely used for any structural weight such as a house header. The ones you may see commercially are welded to an I beam to make more ledge to carry a heaver load.

Jul 8, 2009, 06:17 PM

Hi, I thinking 1/4 in. thickness. Its on an back wall. Only one floor above basement. There would be two blocks above the window. Not including a header. If I can't use angle iron I would use 2 by 8"s.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:35 PM

By the book you use a concrete lintel to mortar onto the block jambs. Lumber is used at times but that should be integrated into a wood jamb rough opening that added to the block. It's a block frame with a wood frame in and wood header nailed to jack/trimmer studs and to top plate so it just doesn't float there. A means to attach it. Personally I use concrete lintels when all masonry is involved. It's a good marriage of material

Whether you use a wood header or a concrete lintel angle iron is not used here at all.
    magpower You need to use a concrete lintel if there is block above it. Think of the outside finish also. DIYers seem to always shy away from the masonry end because it's a whole different animal and Lintels are more of a block plant/masonry supply house. Need to be dead on also can't power plane block to well.

Jul 8, 2009, 07:06 PM

The outside has sideing on it. I thought it would be easier for me to use wood. When house was built they used a wood header above the double doors in the basement. If I use a concrete lintel where would get one and do they cut them to size. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:19 PM

You would get lintels at a block plant or a masonry supply house. They come in many lengths and two different thickness. 4x8x? Or 6x8x? It takes two to set as a header. To cut them a masonry carborundum blade in a circ saw will do the trick.

when house was built they used a wood header above the double doors in the basement
    Is this an older house? The reason I stress to use concrete lintels instead of wood when it comes to block is the wood shrinks over time and sinks/and or becomes loose because it just sits there and can't be nailed in and mortared in doesn't' work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a chair rail next to a window with no frame? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a chair rail in my office. The placement of the window in the room is exactly 36 inches from the floor. A chair rail should be placed 32 to 36 inches from the floor. Also, the window has no frame, only a sill and a decorative trim under the sill. Where do I place the...

How do I install Drivers If I never got Installation Window? [ 7 Answers ]

I asked this ? Yesterday I got one response which said I should go to HP.com and look for sub menu.. I didn't understand what he was telling me to look for there, he also stated I should call the 800# and ask them to send me the disk, Excuse my ignorance, but "What Disk? I or someone had already...

How Do I install If I never got an installation window? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Officejet G85 printer-- I didn't realize that the drivers were already downloaded, however, I am stuck now because I am not familiar with how to go about getting to those drivers to install them. Please Advise, this sounds to be fairly simple.. and I hope it is, it's just not my area....

Install flashing around a window [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a bathroom window (older house) that wasn't done right. There were no real attempts made to seal it. Most importantly, there's no flashing around it, and I was told that would need to be done. How would I install flashing without removing the window? Could I possibly slip it in there under...

View more questions Search