Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    an08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Participating in contests for H-4 visa
    I'm on H-4 visa and I partcipated in an online contest for instant prize but I won the first prize worth $3000.The Sponsor will send me the Tax form before the prize.my question is.. Is it legal to participate and win on H-4 visa?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Yes, it IS legal to claim the prize. Winning raffles or sweepstakes, trading stocks and bonds, getting paid a referral fee from your apartment compex are all activities permitted under your visa.

The only real restriction is that you cannot start a business nor can you work for someone else for pay.

Report the prize money on Line #21 of Form 1040 as "Sweepstakes winnings" and pay the appropriate taxes, and you should be fine.
    an08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Thanks a lot for a valuable reply!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Website for Contests [ 18 Answers ]

Is there a website made for searching for contests to enter?

Participating Dividends [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been asked to create a table displaying dividends under certain circumstances, like cumulative/noncumulative, and participating/nonparticipating. The cumulative part I've got down, but I can't seem to find any useful information on how to calculate the distribution of the dividends coming...

Civics:participating in government [ 3 Answers ]

Will you rent an apartment and/or save for a home or condomimium of your own ?

Best business contests [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about business contests. Say to promote used band instruments and repairs? What type of contests would you promote?What do you think would be fun, fair and worth a customer's time and lucrative enough for my business?

View more questions Search